[KSP 1.12.3] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Beyond (v4.13 - July 17th, 2022)

themaster401

I can't get over how awesome this make the game look. Thank you so much for continuing this mod. I have a quick question/concern as well. When there is a lunar eclipse (Kerbin casting shadow on Mun) The Mun appears to get grayed out (I guess because of the glow?) rather than turn completely black without the mod installed. Also during that eclipse, if you look from behind the Mun so that it's Mun, Kerbin, Kerbol lining up, there is this blue cube that appears. I hope these pictures can explain better. https://imgur.com/a/S6gyo 

My main gripe with this beautiful mod is that it's incredibly difficult to see land masses on Kerbin from orbit as the atmosphere seems overly blue. Everything just looks like ocean with clouds. Is there a way to reduce this effect?

FYI, for CKAN to show the proper version order, the version number needs to be updated to 3.70 instead of 3.7.  It sees 3.63 as a higher version number.

Could also consider changing to a version numbering system like 3.7.0 and 3.6.3.

10 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

OPM support in future?

Though OPM is rarely touched upon by visual packs these days, I'd much rather allow the magnificent OPM-VO to take lead.

Perhaps once I'm done the little to-do list I have for other features, I'll look into a set of configs for OPM.

I've downloaded the mod and all the other mods that I need to download and when I launch the game I get the new space look but no clouds or other things. When I look in the EVE menu it says invalid name and the "maintex", "detailtex" and the "UVnoisetex" are written in red which I presume is the problem. If anyone can please help me with this that would be greatly appreciated as I love the look of this mod.

EDIT: I have played around and I have found how to fix this. I'm new to this site so I don't know how to delete reply's.

Edited by F3RGHNZ

5 hours ago, 1990eam said:

Do I need to download the EVE configs if I'm using Astronomer's Visual Pack?

Both EVE and scatter doesn't require configs, AVP has configs for them both in it's installation. So when using AVP, don't install the included configs for EVE and Scatter. 

43k Kerbin clouds.

I don't know what niche partition of the KSP community would like to fiddle with such high resolution clouds, but they're now available.

unknown.png

Pros: Sharp, no texture repetition, performance impact is not too different from 8k
Cons: Your system will suffer.

Credit to NASA for their 43k "Blue Marble" Earth cloud rendition.

Download in the OP.

Edited by themaster401

I am having a lot of problems making this mod work.  I've tried installing this a few times following the 1st page instructions and I am not seeing any new textures for any planets, no clouds, no new loading screen art, nothing new.  Can someone take a look at the installation path I'm following here and let me know if I am missing something here?  I really, really want to try making AVP work.

I'm also on 1.4.2, and launching KSP_x64 via default options if that makes a difference (not forcing a different directX)?  Full list of my mods included in spoiler, in case of any known conflicts.

Spoiler

KSP: 1.4.2 (Win64) - Unity: 2017.1.3p1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
PC Info:  AMD 8350FX @ 4.0 Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 980 Ti.

Toolbar - 1.7.17
ToolbarControl - 0.1.5.9
Antenna Helper - 1.0.2
Astronomer's Visual Pack - 3.7
AutoAsparagus - 2.2.10
B9 Part Switch - 2.2.2
Chatterer Extended - 0.6.2
Chatterer - 0.9.95.2110
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.6.2
Community Category Kit - 3.0
Community Resource Pack - 0.10
CommunityTechTree - 3.3.1
Community Trait Icons - 1.0
Connected Living Space - 1.2.6.1
Contract Configurator - 1.25
Crew Light - 1.14
CrewRandR - 1.1.8
CryoEngines - 0.6
CryoTanks - 1.0
DestructionEffects - 1.8
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.9.1
Contract Parser - 1.0.8
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.8.2
Progress Parser - 1.0.9
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.3
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.19.3
Environmental Visual Enhancements - 1.4.0.1
HeatControl - 0.4.5
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes - 1.0.2
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.13.3
KerbalAtomics - 0.5
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.4.6
Kerbalism - 1.5.0.50
<b><color=#CA7B3C>Kopernicus</color></b> - 1.4.2.1
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.2.0.1
Maeneuver Node Evolved - 1.0.4
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.4
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.8.2
NearFutureConstruction - 1.0.1
NearFutureElectrical - 0.10
NearFutureProps - 0.3.2
NearFuturePropulsion - 1.0
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.10
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.7.8
PatchManager - 0.0.15
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.6.3
PlanetShine - 0.2.6
Portrait Stats - 1.0.17
QuantumStrutsContinued - 1.7.3
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.6.3
RealChute - 1.4.6
RemoteTech - 1.8.10.3
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.23.8
SafeChute - 2.1.11
SCANsat - 1.1.8.5
SmartStage - 2.9.10
StageRecovery - 1.8
StationPartsExpansionRedux - 1.0.4
TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.17
TextureReplacerReplaced - 0.5.4
Tracking Station Evolved - 1.0.3
Trajectories - 2.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.9.1
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.3
TweakScale - 2.3.12
Unmanned before Manned - 1.3.0.2
Waypoint Manager - 2.7.2
[x] Science! - 5.14

1. Install AVP 3.7, which creates the AstronomersVisualPack and LoadingScreenManager folder within GameData.
  2. Install the AVP textures pack (I chose 8k) - which drops all the required textures in the AVP\EVE\Textures folder.
  3. Install the EVE mod, which creates the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder in Gamedata.
    1. Do I need the 2nd download mentioned on the EVE GitHub entry - configs?  I tried installing the 1.2.2.1 configs too, which creates a BoulderCo folder in Gamedata, but that didn't change the end result of seeing no difference.
  4. Install Scatterer.
  5. Install Kopernicus
  6. Install TextureReplacerReplaced.
    1. Does this specifically need the older TextureReplacer?  Even the OP Link to TR goes to the TRR GitHub.

Do I need to go and remove any configs that these other dependencies installed, as mentioned by @Sunesha?  It's not mentioned in the OP Instructions, so I didn't change anything with the files included with EVE / Scatterer etc.  Maybe I have a conflicting mod installed that I should remove?

I read on the TRR thread a post about replacing shaders.windows with one from a newer Unity, is that necessary or irrelevant?  (I grabbed the replacement shader, just in case.)

Edited by Barklight

48 minutes ago, Barklight said:

I am having a lot of problems making this mod work.  I've tried installing this a few times following the 1st page instructions and I am not seeing any new textures for any planets, no clouds, no new loading screen art, nothing new.  Can someone take a look at the installation path I'm following here and let me know if I am missing something here?  I really, really want to try making AVP work.

I'm also on 1.4.2, and launching KSP_x64 via default options if that makes a difference (not forcing a different directX)?  Full list of my mods included in spoiler, in case of any known conflicts.

Hide contents

KSP: 1.4.2 (Win64) - Unity: 2017.1.3p1 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
PC Info:  AMD 8350FX @ 4.0 Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 980 Ti.

Toolbar - 1.7.17
ToolbarControl - 0.1.5.9
Antenna Helper - 1.0.2
Astronomer's Visual Pack - 3.7
AutoAsparagus - 2.2.10
B9 Part Switch - 2.2.2
Chatterer Extended - 0.6.2
Chatterer - 0.9.95.2110
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.6.2
Community Category Kit - 3.0
Community Resource Pack - 0.10
CommunityTechTree - 3.3.1
Community Trait Icons - 1.0
Connected Living Space - 1.2.6.1
Contract Configurator - 1.25
Crew Light - 1.14
CrewRandR - 1.1.8
CryoEngines - 0.6
CryoTanks - 1.0
DestructionEffects - 1.8
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.9.1
Contract Parser - 1.0.8
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.8.2
Progress Parser - 1.0.9
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.3
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.19.3
Environmental Visual Enhancements - 1.4.0.1
HeatControl - 0.4.5
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes - 1.0.2
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.13.3
KerbalAtomics - 0.5
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.4.6
Kerbalism - 1.5.0.50
<b><color=#CA7B3C>Kopernicus</color></b> - 1.4.2.1
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.2.0.1
Maeneuver Node Evolved - 1.0.4
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.4
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.8.2
NearFutureConstruction - 1.0.1
NearFutureElectrical - 0.10
NearFutureProps - 0.3.2
NearFuturePropulsion - 1.0
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.10
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.7.8
PatchManager - 0.0.15
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.6.3
PlanetShine - 0.2.6
Portrait Stats - 1.0.17
QuantumStrutsContinued - 1.7.3
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.6.3
RealChute - 1.4.6
RemoteTech - 1.8.10.3
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.23.8
SafeChute - 2.1.11
SCANsat - 1.1.8.5
SmartStage - 2.9.10
StageRecovery - 1.8
StationPartsExpansionRedux - 1.0.4
TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.17
TextureReplacerReplaced - 0.5.4
Tracking Station Evolved - 1.0.3
Trajectories - 2.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.9.1
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.3
TweakScale - 2.3.12
Unmanned before Manned - 1.3.0.2
Waypoint Manager - 2.7.2
[x] Science! - 5.14

1. Install AVP 3.7, which creates the AstronomersVisualPack and LoadingScreenManager folder within GameData.
  2. Install the AVP textures pack (I chose 8k) - which drops all the required textures in the AVP\EVE\Textures folder.
  3. Install the EVE mod, which creates the EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder in Gamedata.
    1. Do I need the 2nd download mentioned on the EVE GitHub entry - configs?  I tried installing the 1.2.2.1 configs too, which creates a BoulderCo folder in Gamedata, but that didn't change the end result of seeing no difference.
  4. Install Scatterer.
  5. Install Kopernicus
  6. Install TextureReplacerReplaced.
    1. Does this specifically need the older TextureReplacer?  Even the OP Link to TR goes to the TRR GitHub.

Do I need to go and remove any configs that these other dependencies installed, as mentioned by @Sunesha?  It's not mentioned in the OP Instructions, so I didn't change anything with the files included with EVE / Scatterer etc.  Maybe I have a conflicting mod installed that I should remove?

I read on the TRR thread a post about replacing shaders.windows with one from a newer Unity, is that necessary or irrelevant?  (I grabbed the replacement shader, just in case.)

Confirm that you have installed Scatterer correctly, I don't see it in the list up there. ModuleManager as well. No, you do not require the default EVE configs. The latest version is specifically and solely compatible with the newer TRR.
Otherwise, I see no reason why your mods should cause incompatibilities. If it persists to fail, send your KSP.log as well. AVP does not require the usage of any Unity shaders from TRR (even then only reflections, effects, etc. would be affected, rather than AVP features), so that should not be an issue.

Thanks for the quick reply, @themaster401.  Strange that you mention Scatterer, I have 0.0329 installed but you're right, it's not showing up on the AVC mod-list (I'll attach a screen of gamedata contents just to show anything else AVC didn't "see" that might create conflict).  I extracted the download for it right into Gamedata and have a "scatterer" folder in there, and I do get the scatterer UI after loading KSP to the main menu.  I have ModuleManager 3.0.6 sitting in the GameData folder as well.

Really scratching my head =\

KSP.log

GameData Folder (Imgur)

Edited by Barklight

2 hours ago, themaster401 said:

43k Kerbin clouds.

I don't know what niche partition of the KSP community would like to fiddle with such high resolution clouds, but they're now available.

unknown.png

Pros: Incredibly sharp, performance impact is not too different from 8k
Cons: Your system will suffer.

Credit to NASA for their 43k "Blue Marble" Earth cloud rendition.

Download:
https://mega.nz/#!w4whBIpb!jp0HiyWgFPul_umVaPXPrgXtsN_hK2kMnMlIrNmIbQ8

Niche you say? 43k You say? System will suffer you say?

I'm sold, and it sounds like a challenge. 

@themaster401 Here's some awesome shots of 43k.  I will say though they could use a bit of touching up. There's a lot of super small clouds all over the place, and while in some sections (like the one below) it looks great, in the larger cloud formations it just doesn't look as good, particularly as you move farther away. Course this isn't entirely the fault of the actual clouds themselves, but trimming out some of this here and there particularly in the larger cloud sections will help it look a lot smoother. 

Further, this could do with less clouds imo. While its not unrealistic for the entire planet to be this cloudy all at once, for game purposes, I think we could do with less. After all, without a dynamic cloud system that changes day to day it kinda robs you of the experience of seeing the contrast of blues, whites, greens, and browns that actually make up our little planet. This is very apparent in one of the pictures below where most of a continent is obscured by clouds.  Breaking up some of the larger formations into a cluster of medium sized ones with some space in between to let the land through would probably come out better. 

Album SXcCKrz will appear when post is submitted

Edited by G'th

2 hours ago, Barklight said:

Thanks for the quick reply, @themaster401.  Strange that you mention Scatterer, I have 0.0329 installed but you're right, it's not showing up on the AVC mod-list (I'll attach a screen of gamedata contents just to show anything else AVC didn't "see" that might create conflict).  I extracted the download for it right into Gamedata and have a "scatterer" folder in there, and I do get the scatterer UI after loading KSP to the main menu.  I have ModuleManager 3.0.6 sitting in the GameData folder as well.

KSP.log

GameData Folder (Imgur)

I have the same CPU like you, thought I was the only one sitting around on a AMD FX one nowdays:wink:.  What I do when I have similar problems. 

1. If you have the steam version of the game, if not worth downloading the whole game again

1. Right click steam icon at taskbar(where the clock is) and choose libary
  2. Right click Kerbal Space Program, Choose properties
  3. Click Local Files Tab
  4. Click Verify intergy of game files
  5. Steam will check if any core game files been corrupted and download new ones if so

2. Scatterer doesn't appear on the AVC list, if scatterer works correctly you will get this menu at the start menu.

Spoiler

jt96JND.png

3. B9partswitch is having graphic glitch problems with Scatterer, I have however no other problems with those two together. It only happens when I have part with b9partswitch and in a flightscene. Good news is both scatterer and b9switch people are aware of this glitch.

4. The "I hate to do version" of finding out why your mods don't work together. 

1. Make new KSP game installition
  2. Install AVP as instructions, which you followed perfectly
  3. Start KSP, to check it works with only AVP
  4. Goto your main install, copy 5 mod folders to new install
  5. Start the game
  6. Try not get bored, this is the challenging part of this list
  7. If game starts and works as it should repeat from step 4
  8. Game doesnt work remove a mod and goto step 5, repeat step 5 to 8 until you find guilty mod
  9. Remember to check the guilty mod is not working because some dependency by going to mod release and check the install instructions. So yeah this is check everything and trying not to go nuts list. But highly recommend to have module manager installed while hunting which is a dependency for AVP installed. As a lot of mods uses this one.

Have to add, original gamedata folder just contains "Squad" folder and if you have expansion, "SquadExpansion" folder.

So the super easy way to create a new KSP install is copy your whole KSP game folder. Then goto gamedata and remove all but former mentioned folders, then you have a stock install.

Edited by Sunesha

16 hours ago, Barklight said:

KSP.log

GameData Folder (Imgur)

Looks like you installed the textures wrong (texture files are present in AstronomersVisualPack/EVE rather than AstronomersVisualPack/EVE/Textures) and installed an older version rather than the latest. Correcting those two problems should do the trick. Everything else looks fine.

15 hours ago, G'th said:

@themaster401 Here's some awesome shots of 43k.  I will say though they could use a bit of touching up. There's a lot of super small clouds all over the place, and while in some sections (like the one below) it looks great, in the larger cloud formations it just doesn't look as good, particularly as you move farther away. Course this isn't entirely the fault of the actual clouds themselves, but trimming out some of this here and there particularly in the larger cloud sections will help it look a lot smoother. 

Further, this could do with less clouds imo. While its not unrealistic for the entire planet to be this cloudy all at once, for game purposes, I think we could do with less. After all, without a dynamic cloud system that changes day to day it kinda robs you of the experience of seeing the contrast of blues, whites, greens, and browns that actually make up our little planet. This is very apparent in one of the pictures below where most of a continent is obscured by clouds.  Breaking up some of the larger formations into a cluster of medium sized ones with some space in between to let the land through would probably come out better. 

Album SXcCKrz will appear when post is submitted

Thank you so much for the feedback! They will definitely be considered in an update to them. (My poor GPU and CPU whilst editing textures of such high resolution...)
Unfortunately, the Imgur album doesn't appear to be available though :^(