[KSP 1.12.3] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Beyond (v4.13 - July 17th, 2022)

themaster401

17 hours ago, blorgon said:

What mods are you running here? Is this all AVP?

EVE, KSPRC (with sections removed as per the AVP release instructions), AVP, 8K AVP textures, planet shine, distant object enhancement, scatterrer (although the latest scatterrer update appears to brought back the 'hard stop' to the atmosphere, I no longer have that nice slow fade out of the atmosphere).

29 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

EVE, KSPRC (with sections removed as per the AVP release instructions), AVP, 8K AVP textures, planet shine, distant object enhancement, scatterrer (although the latest scatterrer update appears to brought back the 'hard stop' to the atmosphere, I no longer have that nice slow fade out of the atmosphere).

Damnit. That's my exact set up too. @blackrack any thoughts?

Just now, blorgon said:

Damnit. That's my exact set up too. @blackrack any thoughts?

Did you try my suggestion and reload your game from the main menu? EVE integration disables it self as soon as you apply a change in the EVE GUI and requires the game to be reloaded from the main menu. This is probably why you don't see the terminator color.

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Did you try my suggestion and reload your game from the main menu? EVE integration disables it self as soon as you apply a change in the EVE GUI and requires the game to be reloaded from the main menu. This is probably why you don't see the terminator color.

Yeah, it's not the terminator color I'm worried about. I know how to get that, I've actually got my scatterer settings set up really nice so that the sunset color is a little less saturated because I like the look but think it's a tad too intense.

My problem is this visible sharp edge at the horizon, I hate the way it looks:

d878325c12.png

I've tried messing around that cloud layer's altitude, but that only lowers the edge, and doesn't give that smooth fading haze like in Starfire70's screenshot from a month ago.

@Starfire70 was that in 1.2.2? I can't remember when 1.3 came out...

1 minute ago, blorgon said:

Yeah, it's not the terminator color I'm worried about. I know how to get that, I've actually got my scatterer settings set up really nice so that the sunset color is a little less saturated because I like the look but think it's a tad too intense.

My problem is this visible sharp edge at the horizon, I hate the way it looks:

d878325c12.png

I've tried messing around that cloud layer's altitude, but that only lowers the edge, and doesn't give that smooth fading haze like in Starfire70's screenshot from a month ago.

@Starfire70 was that in 1.2.2? I can't remember when 1.3 came out...

That's the falloff power value in EVE that needs to be adjusted

47 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

I actually am intrigued by how you got the clouds hazed by the atmosphere in that setup specifically.

Anyways, aside from current problems, I've been working on a couple of new possible features, including...  drumroll... rain! By using the same technique as snow, rain can appear every that clouds cover. Though, the feature is incredibly intensive, and may just be an optional module for the mod instead. A custom soundtrack won't return until Soundtrack Editor updates to 1.3 and fixes it's sound queues.

For now, there will be an update in an hour or so, fixing various cloud falloff powers and a couple of other config tweaks.

Thank you for the continued feedback and reports.

Edited by themaster401

1 minute ago, themaster401 said:

I actually am intrigued by how you got the clouds hazed by the atmosphere in that setup specifically.

Anyways, aside from current problems, I've been working on a couple of new possible features, including...  drumroll... rain!

I'm trying to backtrack when I lost that nice hazy fadeout. I'm rolling back scatterer as we speak, AVP will be next failing that.

Rain would be a pretty awesome addition to an already awesome mod.

Ugh, it's not scatterer that is causing the hard-stop, I rolled it back to the mid-June version and it's still there.

Maybe it's AVP. I'll do some more fiddling and see what I can find out. I miss that more realistic hazy fade out.

Clouds are gorgeous as usual. When I launched, it was so overcast at the KSC that the rocket was only faintly lit with this very realistic looking twilight. Are you sure you don't want a donation, @themaster401? :)

N1HMwRy.jpg

UPDATE: Ah! The hazy fade out IS there, but only when there are no cloud layers present to obscure it (cloud layers absent on the left, present on the right).

Jectybc.jpg

Edited by Starfire70

16 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

Ugh, it's not scatterer that is causing the hard-stop, I rolled it back to the mid-June version and it's still there.

Maybe it's AVP. I'll do some more fiddling and see what I can find out. I miss that more realistic hazy fade out.

Clouds are gorgeous as usual. When I launched, it was so overcast at the KSC that the rocket was only faintly lit with this very realistic looking twilight. Are you sure you don't want a donation, @themaster401? :)

N1HMwRy.jpg

UPDATE: Ah! The hazy fade out IS there, but only when there are no cloud layers present to obscure it (cloud layers absent on the left, present on the right).

Jectybc.jpg

That is something that can't be fixed but it can be made a little less noticeable with the falloff stuff I was talking about. Won't get rid of it completely though.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

That is something that can't be fixed but it can be made a little less noticeable with the falloff stuff I was talking about. Won't get rid of it completely though.

I can live with it...I was just worried that I had lost it entirely.

I'm so disappointed. I really need that hazy fade-off. I can't get it in the EVE settings either.

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Is there no way to render the cloud texture based on whether or not it's above the horizon relative to your camera position? Just spit balling here. I don't see why it could've been possible at an earlier point but is now no longer able to be fixed.

29 minutes ago, blorgon said:

I'm so disappointed. I really need that hazy fade-off. I can't get it in the EVE settings either.

Is there no way to render the cloud texture based on whether or not it's above the horizon relative to your camera position? Just spit balling here. I don't see why it could've been possible at an earlier point but is now no longer able to be fixed.

It has been like this since EVE has been around. There just isn't a way around it without rewriting the way EVE works. 

Edited by Galileo

Quick question guys. I just got started to be involved in modding my KSP, so what's the proper way to remove an elements of the mod? Say, i wanna get rid of sun texture AVP provides. I just deleted it from the folder. Is it the correct way, or should i also find and eliminate all the paths leading to it in config?

Edited by Nightwindale

51 minutes ago, Nightwindale said:

Quick question guys. I just got started to be involved in modding my KSP, so what's the proper way to remove an elements of the mod? Say, i wanna get rid of sun texture AVP provides. I just deleted it from the folder. Is it the correct way, or should i also find and eliminate all the paths leading to it in config?

If AVP bundles scatterer, the yes, you could just delete the sunflare folder which will give you just the stock sun. 

44 minutes ago, Galileo said:

If AVP bundles scatterer, the yes, you could just delete the sunflare folder which will give you just the stock sun. 

1) What exactly means "bundles" for those mods?

2) I mean is there a general rule to "properly" remove any content mentioned in cfgs (textures, sounds, whatever) for any mod.

As for clouds and stuff, made a quick overview of how this "haze" renders for cloud layers of 3 mods. The base for all is latest EVE and scatterer. Also all 3 cases made with AVP atmosphere (i guess that is what atmosphere.cfg is here for at least). The difference is in cloud settings and other following stuff, taken from other mods: 

clean AVP: 

Spoiler

R6tiA2v.jpg

AVP with KSPRC clouds only: 

Spoiler

0zoX8Ok.jpg

AVP with SVE cloud layer (not the SVE atmo settings, just clouds):

Spoiler

RVgpaJ4.jpg

As you can see, the clean AVP clouds have "sharp" line to it, while other have some haze. I have no idea why is that since i have no clue of what are the configurables (and don't want to dig in it just yet), but the result can be seen - somehow it renders different picture.

AVP does not bundle dependencies, it uses a ModuleManager config for te sunflare. You only have to remove the "scatterer-sunflare" folder from AstronomersVisualPack.

Usually to remove content such as a specific cloud node, it can be done safely through the EVE GUI in the Tracking Station, or can be manually done by properly removing the node from the config.

6 minutes ago, blorgon said:

I've been messing around with falloff power and no matter what changes I make, I see no difference. Can you elaborate a little?

No I cannot as I am a way with the national guard until Monday. 

I did explain it a little yesterday, and like I said, you can only adjust it so much but ultimately you won't see a difference not a big one anyway.. EVE and Scatterer are not perfect sciences and I think you are going to have to make that concession and accept that. KSP is an ugly game and can only be made to look so good, but not perfect. I have been working with visual packs for ksp for a long time, and I'm telling you, that you are wasting your time that you could be playing on trying to make your game look better than what others have already determined is the best you can make it look. 

Edited by Galileo

I want to thank Galileo for silencing those who challenge the best KSP's visual modding community provides in a way I could never have done. It has likely saved me from stressing over the little nitpicks I couldn't fix without changing the code of EVE or the game. A break is well deserved, whenever you return we will welcome you back with open arms.

Moving forward, I will no longer reply to frequently asked questions that are already answered in the corresponding section of the OP. Worrying about such things and, to put it bluntly, sucking my soul out of me with them will only further delay newer features that are worth anticipating. The clouds will hover above the horizon, Eve's clouds will not look the same as the original AVP's, so why not just look forward to things that are legitimately possible for me to implement?

Thank you to all who have downloaded Astronomer's Visual Pack Repackaged, and those who continue to provide constructive criticism and appreciation.

First off, wanted to say, I'm a big fan of this visual pack and appreciate all the hard work you've done for it. I was looking at the different configs and noticed that clouds atmosphere heights differed, and this may be what some people were looking for. Here it is with the standard config:

YHdGPU5.jpg

And here it is when I edited the main cloud's altitude to 7000 and the cirrus layer to 6000: 

udubBMY.jpg

Now I may be missing something, but I thought this might help.

Another example:

Spoiler

Lower cloud atmo:

XAHehaF.jpg

Higher cloud atmo: 

MMzChK0.jpg

Edited by Gundro

4 hours ago, Gundro said:

First off, wanted to say, I'm a big fan of this visual pack and appreciate all the hard work you've done for it. I was looking at the different configs and noticed that clouds atmosphere heights differed, and this may be what some people were looking for. Here it is with the standard config:

YHdGPU5.jpg

And here it is when I edited the main cloud's altitude to 7000 and the cirrus layer to 6000: 

udubBMY.jpg

Now I may be missing something, but I thought this might help.

Another example:

Reveal hidden contents

Lower cloud atmo:

XAHehaF.jpg

Higher cloud atmo: 

MMzChK0.jpg

The original altitudes were intended to stay faithful to those in the original AVP configs, and were lowered in subsequent releases, but I will see if I can make a balance between realism and clouds-not-going-over-the-horizon.

@Gundro Thanks for those settings, and speaking of cloud height, I didn't like all the Mun dust prevalent in the default config, and found that lowering the altitude from 3000 to 1600 in clouds.cfg did a great job to reduce it.

@themaster401 Please don't burn out. I LOVE this mod, love it, and very much appreciate the time you spend on it. Haven't loved a mod this much since I first came upon KSPRC.

One thing...the Mun texture in AVP is exactly how it looks in KSPRC, but the Minmus texture definitely isn't. I'm doing some detective work to try and figure it out because I really miss those beautifully eroded greenish edges in the highlands.

Ah, it's not the eroded edges that are missing, it's some kind of smoothing out of the texture on the flat tops and the sloped sides which makes the edges more prominent in KSPRC. Comparisons below.

KSPRC only:

vZ7ztGe.jpg

KSPRC & AVP:

82Qvb2N.jpg

Edited by Starfire70