[KSP 1.12.3] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Beyond (v4.13 - July 17th, 2022)

themaster401

2 hours ago, Galland1998 said:

you can download a stock config on CKAN for TU that basically gives all of the stock parts a metallic finish.

Do you mean this one? :)
https://spacedock.info/mod/1841/Textures Unlimited Default Stock Config - Unofficial

16 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

Just an FYI I use Scatterer's ocean shader (the one that actually looks like water), not the default (the one that looks like a bunch of swirling). Looks more realistic and is a deeper blue. That might explain the contrast and you might want to try it if you don't already have that set.

Good to know, thanks!
I already use Scatterer + Scatterer Default Config + Astroniki Sunflare for Scatterer. Is there any other additional/alternative config file that I should use, and where can I find it?
On CKAN I have found a Better Looking Oceans mod by Galileo88, but that relies on Kopernicus, not on Scatterer :)

Edited by gap

45 minutes ago, gap said:

Good to know, thanks!
I already use Scatterer + Scatterer Default Config + Astroniki Sunflare for Scatterer. Is there any other additional/alternative config file that I should use, and where can I find it?
On CKAN I have found a Better Looking Oceans mod by Galileo88, but that relies on Kopernicus, not on Scatterer :)

Just ensure that the ocean shader line is set to true in the scatterer config:
useOceanShaders = True

16 hours ago, Greg310 said:

Hey, uh. I don't like the strange rainbow effect this adds to the atmosphere. Is there a way to disable that?

On the terminator? Disable the sunlight extinction setting in scatterer's config (GameData/scatterer/config/config.cfg):

sunlightExtinction = False

Hi,

I've installed the 2k version of AVP with CKAN. It look like it works, but I have questions about the the result. 

See the images below, I think the cities are way to close to KSC and have a to high intensity of the lights. Also I am unsure about the quality of the colors and clouds.

Would you please, based on your experience, give me a feedback on if this looks ok or not?

Just want to rule out the issues.

Edited by EasyAce

1 hour ago, EasyAce said:

Hi,

I've installed the 2k version of AVP with CKAN. It look like it works, but I have questions about the the result. 

See the images below, I think the cities are way to close to KSC and have a to high intensity of the lights. Also I am unsure about the quality of the colors and clouds.

Would you please, based on your experience, give me a feedback on if this looks ok or not?

Hi EasyAce. It looked like the same for me, that's why i got rid of the city thing in general. I installed AVP not using CKAN. So I just deleted citylights.ddl, day.dds and night.dds from \GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\EVE\Textures without having any issues.

Give the 8k version a shot if you are looking for better quality of the clouds. 

Btw: KSP Version 1.7.1, both DLCs, bunch of mods

Edited by Mr.DingALing

13 hours ago, EasyAce said:

Hi,

Same here. Initially I thought it was a problem with my install, but it appears to normal so I try and not look in that direction of KSC :/ (because it does look gorgeous from space)

On 6/15/2019 at 2:21 AM, Jognt said:

Same here. Initially I thought it was a problem with my install, but it appears to normal so I try and not look in that direction of KSC :/ (because it does look gorgeous from space)

Agree. And since most of the gameplay will happen in space and on other celestial bodies, I guess I can go with it know I know it is not a bug.

Thanks guys.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:00 AM, EasyAce said:

Hi,

As to the city being too close to KSC, specifically overflying city on the approach to the runway, I plan on editing the EVE/Textures/CityLights/CityLights.dds file to erase the city west of KSC. I may try my hand at creating some other cities around Kerbin but I'll start with just clearing the c̶r̶a̶s̶h̶  landing zone.

Another tweak I would like to make is with Eve's clouds. I like the BoulderCo clouds for Eve that are completely opaque. I like not being able to see any of the surface and, as a Venus analogue, I think that's as it should be. I haven't figured out quite how to do that yet. Is it as simple as changing the opacity of the eve1.dds and eve2.dds textures?

Is there a way to remove the "dirty camera/lens flare" effect from AVP? (no, it's not my monitor)

EDIT - Figured it out, KS3P had a filter effect, disabled ot by editing settings.cfg

Edited by Barcel

Since it does seem strange to me that this is a thing when the rest of this mod is so superbly polished:

@themaster401 Can you confirm the behavior as posted by EasyAce here is as intended?

On 6/14/2019 at 1:00 PM, EasyAce said:

Hi,

Hi! I'm posting in relation to 1.7.2 compatibility.

On launch I have these error dialogs:

https://imgur.com/KOqg6lV

https://imgur.com/5kKnGrO

But, it appears to work, at least in the menu. I haven't done any further testing.

Can the version errors be ignored safely? Have I done something really wrong? Do you need my ksp.log?

Thanks!

Edited by Rocket Surgeon

46 minutes ago, Rocket Surgeon said:

But, it appears to work, at least in the menu. I haven't done any further testing.

Can the version errors be ignored safely? Have I done something really wrong? Do you need my ksp.log?

Thanks!

Without answering your question; the images you linked can’t be accessed. I’d upload them to something like imgur. 

Having said that: this mod should work fine in 1.7.2 if you remove kopernicus since that mod is currently incompatible with 1.7.2. You would only be missing ground textures from what I’ve gathered.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:37 PM, Tetnacious said:

Anyone figured out 1.7.2 compatibility?

*mentioned for relevance*

edit: check out page 40 of this thread for more information regarding compatibility with KSP updates. 

Edited by Jognt

On 6/14/2019 at 7:00 AM, EasyAce said:

I think the cities are way to close to KSC and have a to high intensity of the lights. 

Many of the city pictures taken from space have that golden glow, but that is because of the long exposure of the camera in a combination with the yellow/orange of high pressure sodium street lights. So, in AVP it looks like it would in a photograph but not quite what it would look like to your eyes. What I have done is edited /GameData/AstronomersVisualPack/EVE/Textures/CityLights/Night.dds by desaturating it (making it black and white) so that the lights look white. I also turned down the brightness just a touch so they weren't so bright.

What I plan on doing is going back to the Night.dds image and either editing it or perhaps even recreating the entire cityscape altogether to better reflect what a city looks like at night. Rooftops tend to be black. The streets become ribbons of light instead of dark corridors. Something like that.

Like EasyAce, I also didn't like that the city lights came right up to the KSC. The first thing I did was simply erase the city from the CityLights.dds file. But then I didn't like that there were only a few continents with cities at all (and apparently highly populated ones) while a lot of Kerbin was empty. I downloaded Stock Visual Enhancements and took their main.dds city file and renamed it to CityLights.dds. That gives AVP the cities of SVE.

And, honestly, I'm not quite happy with that, either. I'm going to go in and modify that a bit as well to remove some cities and add a few in places I would think more likely to have a city.

1 hour ago, CaptKordite said:

Many of the city pictures taken from space have that golden glow, but that is because of the long exposure of the camera in a combination with the yellow/orange of high pressure sodium street lights. So, in AVP it looks like it would in a photograph but not quite what it would look like to your eyes. What I have done is edited /GameData/AstronomersVisualPack/EVE/Textures/CityLights/Night.dds by desaturating it (making it black and white) so that the lights look white. I also turned down the brightness just a touch so they weren't so bright.

What I plan on doing is going back to the Night.dds image and either editing it or perhaps even recreating the entire cityscape altogether to better reflect what a city looks like at night. Rooftops tend to be black. The streets become ribbons of light instead of dark corridors. Something like that.

Like EasyAce, I also didn't like that the city lights came right up to the KSC. The first thing I did was simply erase the city from the CityLights.dds file. But then I didn't like that there were only a few continents with cities at all (and apparently highly populated ones) while a lot of Kerbin was empty. I downloaded Stock Visual Enhancements and took their main.dds city file and renamed it to CityLights.dds. That gives AVP the cities of SVE.

And, honestly, I'm not quite happy with that, either. I'm going to go in and modify that a bit as well to remove some cities and add a few in places I would think more likely to have a city.

And so a new EVE setup is born..

I'm very interested in how far you get and what your results look like!

I was trying to download this from Ckan, but Im confused on what the mods mean

They all seem to say the same thing except, one has a blue, one is diamond, one is orange with low med high for each. then there is one for scatter by itself at the bottom? I did not see anything explaining what all this means. Can someone tell where i can find the information for this?

6 hours ago, viperwolf said:

I was trying to download this from Ckan, but Im confused on what the mods mean

They all seem to say the same thing except, one has a blue, one is diamond, one is orange with low med high for each. then there is one for scatter by itself at the bottom? I did not see anything explaining what all this means. Can someone tell where i can find the information for this?

It's the sun flare. Low mid high is the resolution. Here a preview I found on internet.

8 minutes ago, Simog said:

It's the sun flare. Low mid high is the resolution. Here a preview I found on internet.

Thank you I appreciate that, google hates the way I word things in search. Anyway, that preview explains alot to me, one last question. Do i only download the 2k if that is what i want, or do i need the both. I know in manual install you install the 2k into the standard. Im not sure how ckan handles that.

Edited by viperwolf

4 minutes ago, viperwolf said:

Thank you I appreciate that, google hates the I word things in search. Anyway, that preview explains alot to me, one last question. Do i only download the 2k if that is what i want, or do i need the both. I know in manual install you install the 2k into the standard. Im not sure how ckan handles that.

If you select to install AVP it should prompt you to pick a texture size. You only need one of the three. 

With regards to the sun flare, I’m guessing that guy likes to clog up people’s screen real estate. Super annoying. (The mess in ckan, not the flares themselves)

Edited by Jognt

1 minute ago, Jognt said:

If you select to install AVP it should prompt you to pick a texture size. You only need one of the three. 

With regards to the sun flare, I’m guessing that guy likes to clog up people’s screen real estate. Super annoying. (The mess in ckan, not the flares themselves)

Thank you both, that helped me alot!

Does the mod support Realism Overhaul? I am on KSP 1.6.1. All my mods are installed via CKAN. When I install the mod by itself (with its dependencies) it works, however if I install it with Realism Overhaul (regardless of the order of installation) it does not display any clouds neither in the game menu, neither in game. I can still see the "Astronomer visual pack" sign in the menu though. What is going on?

Here are the exported mods from ckan.

{
	"kind": "metapackage",
	"abstract": "A list of modules installed on the portable KSP instance",
	"name": "installed-portable",
	"license": "unknown",
	"version": "2019.06.19.06.25.25",
	"identifier": "installed-portable",
	"spec_version": "v1.6",
	"recommends": [
		{
			"name": "Scatterer-config"
		},
		{
			"name": "Scatterer"
		},
		{
			"name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"
		},
		{
			"name": "TextureReplacer"
		},
		{
			"name": "KabramsSunFlaresPack-Diamond-Medium"
		},
		{
			"name": "AVP-2kTextures"
		},
		{
			"name": "AstronomersVisualPack"
		},
		{
			"name": "BackgroundResources"
		},
		{
			"name": "Kopernicus"
		},
		{
			"name": "unBlur"
		},
		{
			"name": "ClickThroughBlocker"
		},
		{
			"name": "ToolbarController"
		},
		{
			"name": "SmokeScreen"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealPlume"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealHeat"
		},
		{
			"name": "CommunityResourcePack"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealFuels"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealChute"
		},
		{
			"name": "KerbalJointReinforcementContinued"
		},
		{
			"name": "SolverEngines"
		},
		{
			"name": "ModularFlightIntegrator"
		},
		{
			"name": "ModuleManager"
		},
		{
			"name": "FerramAerospaceResearchContinued"
		},
		{
			"name": "AdvancedJetEngine"
		},
		{
			"name": "RSSTextures2048"
		},
		{
			"name": "Toolbar"
		},
		{
			"name": "TexturesUnlimited"
		},
		{
			"name": "TestFlight"
		},
		{
			"name": "TACLS"
		},
		{
			"name": "SemiSaturatableRW"
		},
		{
			"name": "KSCSwitcher"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealSolarSystem"
		},
		{
			"name": "RCSBuildAidCont"
		},
		{
			"name": "ProceduralParts"
		},
		{
			"name": "ProceduralFairings-ForEverything"
		},
		{
			"name": "ProceduralFairings"
		},
		{
			"name": "MechJeb2"
		},
		{
			"name": "KSP-AVC"
		},
		{
			"name": "HangerExtenderExtended"
		},
		{
			"name": "DeadlyReentry"
		},
		{
			"name": "B9-PWings-Fork"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealismOverhaul"
		}
	]
}

I absolutely adore this mod, but I too can't stand the city entrenching on the rocket base.  Is there a simple way I can mod that out?  Or if someone has accomplished this, could I use your edited files in my game?

On 6/19/2019 at 11:29 AM, Slav said:

Does the mod support Realism Overhaul? I am on KSP 1.6.1. All my mods are installed via CKAN. When I install the mod by itself (with its dependencies) it works, however if I install it with Realism Overhaul (regardless of the order of installation) it does not display any clouds neither in the game menu, neither in game. I can still see the "Astronomer visual pack" sign in the menu though. What is going on?

Here are the exported mods from ckan.

{
	"kind": "metapackage",
	"abstract": "A list of modules installed on the portable KSP instance",
	"name": "installed-portable",
	"license": "unknown",
	"version": "2019.06.19.06.25.25",
	"identifier": "installed-portable",
	"spec_version": "v1.6",
	"recommends": [
		{
			"name": "Scatterer-config"
		},
		{
			"name": "Scatterer"
		},
		{
			"name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"
		},
		{
			"name": "TextureReplacer"
		},
		{
			"name": "KabramsSunFlaresPack-Diamond-Medium"
		},
		{
			"name": "AVP-2kTextures"
		},
		{
			"name": "AstronomersVisualPack"
		},
		{
			"name": "BackgroundResources"
		},
		{
			"name": "Kopernicus"
		},
		{
			"name": "unBlur"
		},
		{
			"name": "ClickThroughBlocker"
		},
		{
			"name": "ToolbarController"
		},
		{
			"name": "SmokeScreen"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealPlume"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealHeat"
		},
		{
			"name": "CommunityResourcePack"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealFuels"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealChute"
		},
		{
			"name": "KerbalJointReinforcementContinued"
		},
		{
			"name": "SolverEngines"
		},
		{
			"name": "ModularFlightIntegrator"
		},
		{
			"name": "ModuleManager"
		},
		{
			"name": "FerramAerospaceResearchContinued"
		},
		{
			"name": "AdvancedJetEngine"
		},
		{
			"name": "RSSTextures2048"
		},
		{
			"name": "Toolbar"
		},
		{
			"name": "TexturesUnlimited"
		},
		{
			"name": "TestFlight"
		},
		{
			"name": "TACLS"
		},
		{
			"name": "SemiSaturatableRW"
		},
		{
			"name": "KSCSwitcher"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealSolarSystem"
		},
		{
			"name": "RCSBuildAidCont"
		},
		{
			"name": "ProceduralParts"
		},
		{
			"name": "ProceduralFairings-ForEverything"
		},
		{
			"name": "ProceduralFairings"
		},
		{
			"name": "MechJeb2"
		},
		{
			"name": "KSP-AVC"
		},
		{
			"name": "HangerExtenderExtended"
		},
		{
			"name": "DeadlyReentry"
		},
		{
			"name": "B9-PWings-Fork"
		},
		{
			"name": "RealismOverhaul"
		}
	]
}

AVP does not support RSS/RO as of now.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:16 PM, Rocket Surgeon said:

https://imgur.com/KOqg6lV

https://imgur.com/5kKnGrO

Thanks!

The latest AVP is usually compatible with the latest version of KSP, this is just a result of the version metadata not being configured to support KSP 1.7.2 yet. The notification will not impede the functioning of the mod.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:00 AM, EasyAce said:

Hi,

Many other users seem to have these concerns with the city lights as well. Thank you for the feedback! I will change them in the next release to be less intrusive.