[KSP 1.12.3] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Beyond (v4.13 - July 17th, 2022)

themaster401

I recently tried my first Mun landing after installing, and around about 3km above the surface I had so much dust that I couldn't see the surface. Once I landed (sort of, more of a crash, but not too many parts fell off and exploded) it looked quite cloudy still. Was this a scatterer problem?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9jzn4gyh7qrrfhw/AABvjBSlUUE9VAzxBujIBUxaa?dl=0
Please note my logfile, my .ckan modlist (I also run a manually-installed dev-version of KCT) and two images.  Here, the pertinent image is "20171225 modlist.jpg".

Howdy folks!  LOVE this pack, great nostalgia from way back in the v0.22 days of Manley's Interstellar Quest!  Anyway, note the start-screen background image of Kerbin.  I vaguely recall from YEARS ago that there was an EVE or AVP issue where a duplicated cloud-texture resulted in the sort-of-blurry double image of the clouds.  Here, I'm wondering if the double image might be intentional because the underlayer is simply the shadows cast unto the ground by the clouds overhead.

Is this a bug or a feature, and if it's a bug, how can I identify how to fix it?

20 hours ago, MisterFister said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9jzn4gyh7qrrfhw/AABvjBSlUUE9VAzxBujIBUxaa?dl=0
Please note my logfile, my .ckan modlist (I also run a manually-installed dev-version of KCT) and two images.  Here, the pertinent image is "20171225 modlist.jpg".

Howdy folks!  LOVE this pack, great nostalgia from way back in the v0.22 days of Manley's Interstellar Quest!  Anyway, note the start-screen background image of Kerbin.  I vaguely recall from YEARS ago that there was an EVE or AVP issue where a duplicated cloud-texture resulted in the sort-of-blurry double image of the clouds.  Here, I'm wondering if the double image might be intentional because the underlayer is simply the shadows cast unto the ground by the clouds overhead.

Is this a bug or a feature, and if it's a bug, how can I identify how to fix it?

Trivia time with themaster401!

That duplicate cloud layer was actually intentional by Astronomer. Meant to create the illusion of the clouds casting shadows, giving that trademark look. Of course now, we can make clouds layers directly cast shadows...

...and that's just what those shadows cast on the ground are. Intentional cloud shadow effect. Not a bug. Shouldn't look too exaggerated from orbit, in map view or such.

3 hours ago, themaster401 said:

Trivia time with themaster401!

That duplicate cloud layer was actually intentional by Astronomer. Meant to create the illusion of the clouds casting shadows, giving that trademark look. Of course now, we can make clouds layers directly cast shadows...

...and that's just what those shadows cast on the ground are. Intentional cloud shadow effect. Not a bug. Shouldn't look too exaggerated from orbit, in map view or such.

Oof, this is a relief!

Are the shadow parameters editable in any way?  I suppose that it might be a function of aesthetic taste, as informed by video card capacity and screen resolution and monitor size, but the effect (while striking of competence in design, especially in light of your explanation) is somewhat.... I dunno.  "Sharp" for me?  I don't wanna turn it off, but I would be hopeful to dull it just a smidge.  Like turning down the screen brightness on a smartphone kinda deal.

v3.63 "Godspeed"
im sorry when i saw comic sans was a font choice i had to

• "Updated and Repackaged" moniker has officially been dropped. Safe to say we've departed far enough from 2014 AVP to do so.
  • Lightning has been softened, less crisp, after months of request.
  • Laythe clouds texture changed slightly.
  • Volumetric clouds tweaked on most relevant bodies.
  • Duna duststorms tweaked.
  • KS3P (post processing effects that integrate into KSP as a mod) is now recommended for the best experience!

unknown.png

Edited by themaster401

20 hours ago, themaster401 said:

v3.63 "Godspeed"
im sorry when i saw comic sans was a font choice i had to

• "Updated and Repackaged" moniker has officially been dropped. Safe to say we've departed far enough from 2014 AVP to do so.
  • Lightning has been softened, less crisp, after months of request.
  • Laythe clouds texture changed slightly.
  • Volumetric clouds tweaked on most relevant bodies.
  • Duna duststorms tweaked.
  • KS3P (post processing effects that integrate into KSP as a mod) is now recommended for the best experience!

unknown.png

I see the texture Pack is on Boulder co folder this is correct? The clouds not loading! 

Oh my god everyone, I'm so sorry about the textures released yesterday! The archives uploaded to GitHub weren't the correct set, I must've not been fully conscious when uploading the update. I've fixed the downloads, please remove the "BoulderCo" folder from your GameData and install the correct set of textures!

https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/releases/tag/v1.6

Edited by themaster401

First of all great work you have done here to bring it back. But is it possible that citylights are missing? After i installed the mod citylights were missing so I've reinstalled it and still they are gone. After that i checked the files after anything that could be responsible for the citylights but as it seems there is nothing related to it. Its also no download error.
thanks in advance for help

Here are the logs

Edited by SolMcGougan

Hello there, I was using SVE recently, but then I found this, realised I have been using it back in 0.23-ish days. My nostalgy drive kicked in, I removed SVE and all of its dependencies (manual install). And then I proceeded to install this pack via ckan. All was downloaded, no errors and such. But then, in-game there are issues. Wierd flickering of light in atmospheric bodies, almost like (i suppose those aren't meant to be thunderstorms, right?). Missing city lights on Kerbin and a broken Mun. (And then there's the wierd Duna eclipse, but that might scaterrer's problem. I have uploaded a short video to demonstrate:

@themaster401 Wow, you made the clouds on Kerbin even more beautiful. Kudos!

Question about eclipses. I was in orbit around Laythe when Vall started to eclipse it. Now in orbit view, it's a beautiful detailed umbral/penumbal eclipse, however in ship view, I just see pure blackness slowly cover Laythe. Is there a technical limitation that keeps you from using the orbit view eclipse textures in ship view? Or is that entirely unrelated to AVP?

Thanks as always for your efforts!

• 2 weeks later...

Mod works on my machine but is pushing the upper limit, especially during takeoff of large and complicated craft. Is there a way to tweak the settings to tone it down a notch, especially in atmosphere, while still sticking with the 4k pack?

Also, is it possible to tone down/change the space background? The nebulae are a bit too bright and unrealistic for my taste.

In any case massive kudos for this mod.

Edited by ROXunreal

• 2 weeks later...
On 2.01.2018 at 3:03 PM, JANXOL said:

Hello there, I was using SVE recently, but then I found this, realised I have been using it back in 0.23-ish days. My nostalgy drive kicked in, I removed SVE and all of its dependencies (manual install). And then I proceeded to install this pack via ckan. All was downloaded, no errors and such. But then, in-game there are issues. Wierd flickering of light in atmospheric bodies, almost like (i suppose those aren't meant to be thunderstorms, right?). Missing city lights on Kerbin and a broken Mun. (And then there's the wierd Duna eclipse, but that might scaterrer's problem. I have uploaded a short video to demonstrate:

Bump. Does anybody know a solution to this?

Sorry about my failure to reply to multiple queries about issues. I guess the only excuse I got is exams, but still not an excuse to not reply to y'all.

On 1/2/2018 at 12:02 PM, Starfire70 said:

@themaster401 Wow, you made the clouds on Kerbin even more beautiful. Kudos!

Question about eclipses. I was in orbit around Laythe when Vall started to eclipse it. Now in orbit view, it's a beautiful detailed umbral/penumbal eclipse, however in ship view, I just see pure blackness slowly cover Laythe. Is there a technical limitation that keeps you from using the orbit view eclipse textures in ship view? Or is that entirely unrelated to AVP?

Thanks as always for your efforts!

The infamous solid layer2D glow that occurs upon an object with a glow effect being eclipsed. I have yet to have found a solution to this problem on the AVP end; at core, it is a scatterer issue that I hope will soon make compatibility with this feature vital to AVP.

On 1/14/2018 at 1:50 PM, ROXunreal said:

Mod works on my machine but is pushing the upper limit, especially during takeoff of large and complicated craft. Is there a way to tweak the settings to tone it down a notch, especially in atmosphere, while still sticking with the 4k pack?

Also, is it possible to tone down/change the space background? The nebulae are a bit too bright and unrealistic for my taste.

In any case massive kudos for this mod.

You can tweak any feature using the EVE GUI in the tracking station (cloud icon in bottom right or just Alt+0). Try getting DistantObjectEnhancement if you haven't already for the skybox darkening, otherwise you'll have to manually turn down the brightness or change the skybox entirely.

On 1/27/2018 at 2:19 PM, Katieop3 said:

I have to say well done on this mod it is beautiful, but I was wondering if I can add city lights I would appreciate it a lot!

Fun fact: I have CityLights fully working and ready for usage. The problem is, I personally dislike how CityLights are; from orbit, a beautiful addition to the planet. Flying in atmosphere, much more immersive experience. However, the moment you land on that flat CityLights texture on the ground, it ruins the effect and the beauty entirely. CityLights destroy the beauty of Kerbin's natural state; you can bring them from another mod manually if you'd like.

On 1/25/2018 at 12:49 PM, JANXOL said:

Bump. Does anybody know a solution to this?

Once again, odd eclipses and oddities on bodies being eclipsed is a scatterer bug I am currently unable to get past. Yep, those flashy things on the planets are thunderstorms. I'm always open to suggestions on how I can make the ever-mistaken feature more realistic, more like lightning.