'Badges' Section of Signature

Skylon

Not sure if this is in the right section as it is a suggestion.

Now that we have 'official' KSP challenges, could we have a Badge section like a signature, and a function where a challenge creator can 'award' badges straight to this section, if it is an approved challenge or a Weekly challenge. I have no idea how hard it would be to code, or if it could break forums, but it is just a thought

29 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

How would that be different from just putting them in your sig? 

Though some official badges would be nice, if Squad can spare an artist for them. @Badie

Would be a bit easier, for lazy people like me. Also useful if you want to hide badges but not signatures or vice versa 

Even if this were possible with the current software (which it doesn't seem to be), doing so would require giving the OP special privileges to modify the signatures of others. I would be strongly reluctant to do that, as the potential for trolling is immense.

I've participated in another community that had an official 'badges' page and you would earn them by doing select tasks and activites. Now most of them were like "post a poll" or "reach X amounts of likes" etc and had no basis in a game, but we could have a badges section of our forum profiles that are set by forum moderators (like what @adsii1970 mentioned). The badges coming from the KSP weekly challenges. Just have one check the thread for participation and if it qualifies for the badge and then award that member the badge.

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I've participated in another community that had an official 'badges' page and you would earn them by doing select tasks and activites. Now most of them were like "post a poll" or "reach X amounts of likes" etc and had no basis in a game, but we could have a badges section of our forum profiles that are set by forum moderators (like what @adsii1970 mentioned). The badges coming from the KSP weekly challenges. Just have one check the thread for participation and if it qualifies for the badge and then award that member the badge.

So make it that every single person in the forums has to ask a mod to edit their signature? I'm not a mod, but if I had to do this I'd probably quit very quickly.

Just now, Gaarst said:

So make it that every single person in the forums has to ask a mod to edit their signature? I'm not a mod, but if I had to do this I'd probably quit very quickly.

It'd be a single moderator and they'd only have to alter their they badge when they participate in weekly challenges.

Simply check every 5-10 minutes, see who's submitted content for the weekly challenges, see if they're submission meets the requirements, if yes, then edit. I could filter through all the previous weekly challenge submissions and badge them in like an hour as I see it.

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Would the software allow for the creation of a page for the user profile? Or an extra area that could be personalized?

Sorry, no. The profiles are as customizable as the software allows, currently.

2 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

The moderation team does not enforce challenge rules or judge challenge entries. That is not what the team is here for, nor should it be.

28 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It'd be a single moderator and they'd only have to alter their they badge when they participate in weekly challenges.

Simply check every 5-10 minutes, see who's submitted content for the weekly challenges, see if they're submission meets the requirements, if yes, then edit. I could filter through all the previous weekly challenge submissions and badge them in like an hour as I see it.

I spent more time than that administering one popular challenge. I think you greatly underestimate what is involved in running a good challenge.

4 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Sorry, no. The profiles are as customizable as the software allows, currently.

The moderation team does not enforce challenge rules or judge challenge entries. That is not what the team is here for, nor should it be.

I spent more time than that administering one popular challenge. I think you greatly underestimate what is involved in running a good challenge.

Then have different members selected solely to manage challenges. People who are trustworthy and reliable as moderators but without those rights.

It's just being in a mindset to plow through lots of posts.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Then have different members selected solely to manage challenges. People who are trustworthy and reliable as moderators but without those rights.

It's just being in a mindset to plow through lots of posts.

We sort of have that already. Except each person is responsible for adjudicating just one challenge. And they have a vested interest in doing a good job of it, because it's a challenge they started.

I really think it's a bad idea to have some third party step in to administer the challenges made by others. Back when I was running one, I certainly would not have liked someone else stepping in to decide which entries were valid and which weren't. That is a privilege (and duty) of the person who made the challenge in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

We sort of have that already. Except each person is responsible for adjudicating just one challenge. And they have a vested interest in doing a good job of it, because it's a challenge they started.

I really think it's a bad idea to have some third party step in to administer the challenges made by others. Back when I was running one, I certainly would not have liked someone else stepping in to decide which entries were valid and which weren't. That is a privilege (and duty) of the person who made the challenge in the first place.

Well the challenge maker in this case is Badie. I'm certain she would be willing to discuss the fine details of a challenge if she needed to (and had time to).

I don't care for the idea of modifying the signature of others...  I might suggest that badges are showing up in signatures for lack of any other place to put them.  I have been looking at ways to add badges and/or graphics/links to a section in my profile though.  I would prefer to see a more editable section in the user profile where people could post their "trophies" and such.

For instance, in your profile, directly beneath the header and just above that green "Community Rep" box, it would be nice to have an editable area spanning the full width of the page that worked exactly like the current signature, only call it "Trophy Case" or something like that.

Edited by XLjedi

Maybe Badie could 'like' a post, except it means 'challenge complete' and the 'badge' assigned to the challenge could go to a badges section, maybe one on the left instead of on the bottom, or it could just say the amount of challenges completed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to update my signature with new badges but I'm having difficulty finding where to change it.

Can't see any way to do that in my profile...

I must be being a noob.

Edit: I was. Found it.

Edited by Snillum101

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.