X-Plane of the Day

QwopUXg.png
The collaboration series is back, and this time, it's a nearly 12-week issue of virtually every American X-plane from the Wright 1903 Flyer to the X-37 reusable orbiter, with extras!

If you are unfamiliar with ___-of-the-Day type series, @Servo's Jet-of-the-Day is the origin of this format

Specifically, this thread showcases the KSP replicas of contributors who signed up here:

Temporary: There are still a few open slots---If you want to take on an Aircraft/Spacecraft, keep your thread traffic in the OPEN SIGN-UP thread.

ABOUT THE ARTICLES: if you would like to write an article for your craft, you can. If you go this route, (1)Send it to me (PM's), or (2) tell me (in whatever way is most convenient) that you would like to make the post; I don't wanna steal 'likes,' per se.
Articles should follow a loose formula: include basic info and a data table of the actual craft, everything else is creator's discretion.

Current Contributors: @dundun92 @KenjiKrafts, @MiffedStarfish, @Munbro Kerman, @NotAnAimbot, @NorthAmericanAviation, @qzgy, @Servo, @swjr-swis, @TheEpicSquared, @Triop, @Yukon0009

To start things off, we begin with the first flying heavier-than-air machine

From @swjr-swis

November 1903: Wright Model 1903 Flyer

ZOaMluI.png

Using knowledge of Otto Lilienthal's studies in lift and Samuel Pierpont Langley's studies in thrust production, brothers Orville and Wilbur Wright began experiments with a biplane kite in 1901 on the dunes of Kill Devil Hills and Kittyhawk, North Carolina to devise a method of controlling an aircraft, soon to be known as wing-warping. All three major points of flight---control, lift, and thrust---would come together on December 17th, 1903 to produce a 120 foot long (36m), 12 second duration flight of a heavier-than-air machine, the first the world would ever see. It would spawn unbelievably rapid development---almost 50 years later, mach 2 would be surpassed.

1024px-First_flight2.jpg

The only conventionally controlled surfaces were those affecting yaw and pitch; roll authority was given by putting torsional stress on the wings, also known as "wing warping"

swjr-swis' craft description:
" EVA the pilots and walk onto the top wing above the command seats, they’ll be in range to board them. Stage to eject the separators that hold the prop rotors. Focus on each of the props and add full roll trim. Enable flaps (gear AG), set SAS stability, and stage to release clamp. She will lift off around 40m/s without inputs. (Optional: wait to clear the runway and stage to release the wheelbase). Flight is easy and stable (even without SAS, ~5% pitch down trim at cruising speed) but be aware that like the original, pitching too hard can cause her to flip over very easily. Happy first flight(s)."

" The Kerman sisters, owners of a machinery factory near the KSC, inspired by some old faded blueprints of an ancient flight mobile found in a cave nearby the KSC, decided to test its airworthiness."

Download Link:
https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/Kerman-Flyer
Tomorrow's Craft: Bell XP-83 "Airacomet"

37 minutes ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

X-Plane of the Day

The collaboration series is back, and this time, it's a nearly 12-week issue of virtually every American X-plane from the Wright 1903 Flyer to the X-37 reusable orbiter, with extras!

Once again, it'll be awesome to be working with @NorthAmericanAviation on another project. Except this time, there's even more people and more fun :)

My day tomorrow is going to be hectic, so I'm posting my first contribution (which would be tomorrow) to the thread tonight as well.

February 1945 - Bell XP-83

svrSNrO.png

The Bell XP-83 was a redesigned P-59 Airacomet which was first flown in 1945. It was the first prototype jet made in America which didn’t see production. This was mainly due to its slow development, allowing it to be outpaced by the Lockheed P-80 and other more advanced designs. It was slow, unresponsive, and generally underpowered, making it an unsatisfactory substitute for piston-engined fighters of the WWII era.

j2ulXgH.png

The XP-83 had most of the distinctive features of the P-59, but featured different jet engines, as well as improvements to aerodynamics. In fact, the drag was so low that pilots had a hard time getting the XP-83 to slow down, and had to make extremely long landing approaches.

300px-XP83_01.jpg

My replication of the XP-83 handles pretty well, though you have to be really gentle on takeoff and landing. It can cruise for long durations at an acceptable speed for fighters of its era, and is stable doing so.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/Bell-XP-83

Tomorrow's Craft:

@NorthAmericanAviation's Northrop XP-79

43 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Cool. 2 planes in one day. @Servo, what part did you use for blocking the intakes used around the engines?

Fuel cells, turned around and offset inside the radial intakes. I had never tried doing that before, and I'm not sure how I like the effect. It looks nice far away and on straight edged, but fails inspection close up on curves. I'll probably experiment with other ways of getting the same effect in the future. Thermometers and other science experiments come to mind as other things to try.

I don't think two planes a day is sustainable, though it would cut down on the time it would take. As it stands now, XotD will continue into August. It could be doable, especially with all the other builders helping out this time around.

1 minute ago, Servo said:

Fuel cells, turned around and offset inside the radial intakes. I had never tried doing that before, and I'm not sure how I like the effect. It looks nice far away and on straight edged, but fails inspection close up on curves. I'll probably experiment with other ways of getting the same effect in the future. Thermometers and other science experiments come to mind as other things to try.

I don't think two planes a day is sustainable, though it would cut down on the time it would take. As it stands now, XotD will continue into August. It could be doable, especially with all the other builders helping out this time around.

The effect is interesting to say the least. I think it might work on larger curves, but not on this scale. Have you tried the small radiators? Or maybe a bunch of parts clipped together? The problem with KSP I find is not enough parts for stuff on a smaller scale and a lack of things for curved parts.

Also, as for two planes per day, I have to say, probably not the best idea.

September 1945: Northrop XP-79

iu9HRPi.png

The heavy bombers of World War II were an extremely effective tool in air-combat; well-armed, capable of destroying ground targets, and completely reusable after all is said and done. However, the Zeppelin company of Germany and the Northrop Company of the U.S. sought to create an unorthodox answer to the question of how do we down a heavy bomber? by creating flying rams. In theory, these lightly-armed, super fast ‘fighter’ aircraft would fly through a section of an enemy bomber and do massive damage, then return home unscathed.

1200px-Northrop_XP-79.jpg

To accomplish this incredibly ambitious feat, designs of Northrop’s XP-79 consisted of a welded magnesium monocoque frame, two rocket engines, and a bubble canopy that the pilot would lie forward in to fit in the aircraft. While the XP-79B was never fitted with rocket engines, the MX-324, a program predecessor, was. It took to the air towed behind a P-38, making it the first U.S. rocket-powered aircraft to fly.

BcZTZj6.png

Fortunately, the idea of a flying ram was abandoned by the end of the war. The XP-79B program itself, though, ended on the sour note of the death of test pilot Harry Crosby.
This recreation, ironically, is completely stable, has good maneuverability, and can reach a top speed of 185 m/s with only two Junos.

Download Link:
https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/Northrop-XP-79
Tomorrows' Craft:
@Munbro Kerman's Bell X-1

Edited by NorthAmericanAviation

42 minutes ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

mono-cock frame

Did you mean monocoque? Anyway, nice craft!

Edited by qzgy

It's going to be a pleasure working with everyone on the XoTD team. Here's a small slice of my contribution. 

January 1946: Bell X-1

Image result for b29 bell x-1

The iconic first aircraft to break the “sound barrier”

BE5OFsD.png

On October 14, 1947, The X-1 was piloted to Mach 1 by Charles Yeager. This was the first time man had officially reached transonic speeds. The X-1 was a bullet-shaped aircraft powered by a cluster of four alcohol-oxygen reaction chambers ganged together. This engine was called the XLR-11, produced by Reaction Motors, Incorporated. The same engine would be used on the D-558-II, XF-91 Thunderceptor, and as an interim engine on the X-15 until the XLR-99 was complete. It produced 6,000 lb/ft (27 Kn) of thrust. The X-1 was launched from a B-29 and later B-50, essentially an engine-uprated B-29. Aerodynamically speaking, the X-1 is clean, solely for the purpose of flying fast, but did not employ a swept wing. It would be proven throughout the program that the conventional way of aerodynamic thinking and the accumulated knowledge associated to it would be totally inadequate for aircraft that continued to push speed faster than Mach 1. The X-1 would be the first definitive milestone in gathering supersonic flight data.

pzWHCsQ.png

Pushing Mach 2: After Scott Crossfield reached and exceeded Mach 2 in the Navy’s Douglas D-558-II “Skyrocket,” Yeager fired back by pushing the X-1A to Mach 2.42 twenty-two days later, but not without dire consequence; the straight-winged, pre-area-rule aircraft became unstable and unresponsive above Mach 2.3. More specifically, the aircraft began to yaw and pitch up, then rolling inverted. Yeager blacked out. The X-1 fell 51,000 feet until Yeager regained consciousness, transferred the aircraft from an inverted spin into a normal spin, and recovered into a normal flight attitude at about 25,000 feet. The flight ended in the normal dead-stick landing, but the X-1’s design had now been obsolesced.

KsxZnCx.png

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/MunbroKerman/B-29-with-Bell-X-1

Tomorrows' Craft:

@Servo's XB-43

Edited by Munbro Kerman

A bunch of these replicas are not easy to replicate in KSP, due to the limited number and style of parts. However, we all do try our best!

4 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

That X-1 looks great, the cockpit looked extremely hard to build, but you definitely pulled it off. 

I just thought of another material for the window, those blue little Gravioli detectors. I might be able to put more detail into the window with those.

6 hours ago, Munbro Kerman said:

I just thought of another material for the window, those blue little Gravioli detectors. I might be able to put more detail into the window with those.

If you haven't seen my X-15, I used Graviolis and it turned out really nice. For other unorthox cockpits, check out my F-14 (solar panels), my F/A-18 (extending with Graviolis), and NAA's YB-60 (Solar Panels and Cubic Octagonals).

May 1946: Douglas XB-43 Jetmaster

oLbh6uk.png?1

The XB-43 was a twin-turbojet bomber developed by Douglas Aircraft in 1945 as the first U.S. jet bomber. It was adapted from the early XB-42 Mixmaster, a unique design with a pusher-configuration contra-rotating propeller behind the large tailplane. The XB-42 was a success, achieving speeds of up to 488mph (Mach .6, 785mk/h, 218m/s).

B-42 Mixmaster.jpgDouglas XB-43.jpg

The Jetmaster program adapted the Mixmaster design to carry two turbojets, as well as changes to the tail surface. The Army Air Forces ordered two XB-43 prototypes, which were delivered in May of 1946. Despite mechanical problems during testing, the Jetmaster proved to be a fast and versatile bomber aircraft, well poised for entering service. However, the Army instead used the Jetmaster to develop procedures for jet bombers, selecting North American Aviation's B-45 Tornado over the Jetmaster, thanks to improvements in nearly every area. The cancellation of the Jetmaster program in the early 1950s brought an end to both the proposed bomber version and an attack version armed with rockets and a cluster of 16 machine guns in the nose.

aL4RBNy.png

The XB-43 mimics the prototype closely, matching top speed almost exactly. It's an agile craft once airborne, but it's clumsy on the ground. Like most of these replicas, they have to be landed with a steady hand (<5 degree glideslope is ideal). The Jetmaster's characteristic twin cockpits are replicated here, something which is unique among planes I've seen (with the obvious exception of the twin mustang).

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/B-43-Jetmaster

Tomorrow's craft: @MiffedStarfish's Vought F6U Pirate

8 minutes ago, Servo said:

cluster of 16 machine guns in the nose.

Yeah - totally not excessive at all....

Anyway, nice! Think the cockpit looks odd sticking out the sides like that, but other than that, good.

October 1946: Vought F6U Pirate

FbwxZuj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The Vought F6U Pirate was the company's first jet fighter, and the first naval fighter with an afterburning engine. However, due to the period of rapid technological advancements in the field of jet planes, coupled with a relocation of Chance-Vought's production line during the construction of the Pirate, the F6U was rendered almost obsolete by the time the order of 30 was finished. 

300px-F6U-1_Pirate_NATC_in_flight.jpg

Operational History

After a demonstration, the Pirate was deemed unfit for operational use, due mainly to it's underpowered engine. No more orders for the plane were placed, and the 30 already built were relegated to training and development flights. They were take out of storage later though- for use as static ground targets.

sNw0GZo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Download

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqevn17zi80g81s/Vought F6U Pirate.craft?dl=0

The replica is very stable and easy to fly, though the mass is quite far back, so watch out for tailstrikes on landings. The engine is thrust limited to 60, keeping just under the speed were Ksp shows sound barrier effects. Due to part limitations, I was not able to include an afterburner. 

Tomorrows craft:

@Munbro Kerman's D-558-I

Edited by MiffedStarfish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.