August 1976: Boeing YC-14

The YC-14 was Boeing's entry into the Advanced Medium STOL Transport  competition, aiming to replace the Lockheed C-130. It Competed against the McDonnell Douglas YC-15, but neither were accepted. The knowledge gained from test flights, plus the unique characteristics of both aircraft would influence the design of the very successful C-17 Globemaster III.

967px-Yc14-1_072.jpg

The YC-14's Design employed a 'super-critical' airfoil, which reduced transonic drag; this allowed a higher top speed while maintaining lift at low speeds.

AfQI9xm.png

Replica Statistics

This KSP model is definitely an ugly duckling if I ever saw one: had a custom cockpit, scrapped it due to drag issues. Otherwise, this model flies very well and is true to its STOL design in real life: I achieved a 370m takeoff roll with full fuel, empty cargo bays. It's a pretty forgiving plane in the air; super rugged, but requires some pitch-up attitude for level flight. 1 Toggles Afterburners, 2 Toggles Leading Edge Flaps.
Download Link:
https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/Boeing-YC-14

August 1975: McDonnell Douglas YC-15

CGwO28v.png

The YC-15 is McDonnell Douglas' entry into the AMST STOL competition, competing with the previously uploaded Boeing YC-14. Neither aircraft was accepted, but McDonnell Douglas used the design of their YC-15 as a basis for the successful and reliable C-17 Globemaster. The resemblance is pretty obvious. Like the YC-14, the ‘dash-15’ uses a ‘supercritical’ airfoil, allowing up to 30% less drag at transonic speeds, but keeping drag low at landing/takeoff speeds.

Unlike the YC-14, though, McDonnell Douglas' design uses a blown flap instead of an overblown wing. this means that thrust-lift can be varied from maximum to zero, very useful in creating emergency/immediate lift for short-field operations. This model does not duplicate those effects because it isn’t useful in the KSP aerodynamics model.

Assuming you don’t clip parts, the cargo store volume is full long before weight capacity is reached, so it can take literally anything you can fit.
Download Link:
https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/McDonnell-Douglas-YC-15

Tomorrow's Craft: Ball Bartoe Jetwing--- I will be covering this craft

On 6/26/2017 at 5:11 PM, Munbro Kerman said:

Sorry for not being able to post on time, other things needed to be taken care of. 

April 1963: Boeing X-20 Dyna-Soar Spaceplane

Air-Force-X-20-Dyna-Soar.jpg

A program for the USAF, the X-20 was a spaceplane that could do multiple military tasks such as bombing, satellite sabotage, and reconnaissance missions. The X-20 was also capable of rescuing astronauts and repairing satellites. The spaceplane, being developed during the Vostok and Mercury programs, was much more different than an ordinary space capsule. A capsule would follow a ballistic re-entry trajectory, the X-20, like the much later Space Shuttle, could glide down to Earth.

IcgWmca.png

This made the X-20 far more advanced than other spacecraft at the time. The design consisted of a low-wing delta shape, with no tail but instead winglets for control. The framework would be made of a superalloy called René 41. The craft had a transtage for maneuvering and abort. Instead of using wheels, the craft had skids instead of wheels that would require cooling compartments. Two problems that plagued the program would ultimately end the project. One problem was uncertainty over the booster to launch the X-20 into space. Titan II, Titan III, and the Saturn I were all possibilities for the launcher.

U6IApvw.png

The Titan III would be picked, but uncertainty over the safety of the booster delayed the program. The second problem was the lack of a clear goal for the project. The original purpose was to be an aeronautical weapons system that included a pilot. Many wondered if the USAF should have a manned program. The Air Force claimed that the X-20 allowed for controlled re-entry, and that was the main point in the project. The program was deemed too expensive which would contribute to the ending of the Dyna-Soar spaceplane. Data from the X-20 would help to develop the later Space Shuttle, X-23, and X-24. 

a the spbePvY.png

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/MunbroKerman/X-20-Dynasoar

"Tomorrows'" Craft:

@NorthAmericanAviation's X-21

Dude. This thing is much better than what I have made...

Anyway, I love the fact that you're taking the time to build these amazing replicas. I recently visited the Air Force Museum in Dayton, and I got to see many of these craft in person. Now I'm glad that I can fly these things in KSP!

100+ Posts, alright!

July 1977: Ball-Bartoe Jetwing

tc8XaHd.png

The Ball-Bartoe Jetwing was a proof-of-concept aircraft which tested the viability of a ‘blown wing’ to augment and improve lift characteristics. It was very successful, handling well at slow speeds and stalling below 40mph. The ‘blown wing’ theory was practiced by venting the air passing through the first-stage fan of the jet engine across the surface of the wing below an ‘augmenter’ flap (above) which deflected the expelled gases across the wing, creating a forced flow of air which would generate constant lift, no matter the airspeed.

727bf124fc12c9358f4188af415d6b84.jpg

The firm Ball-Bartoe is a combination of the Ball Aerospace company (the same company who makes the ever-popular canning jars) and Otto Bartoe, an engineer who headed the company for a time and used his position to pursue the ‘blown wing’ idea. To further elaborate on the success of the Jetwing, it was reported that the wing generated twice as much lift as a conventional arrangement of the same area.

FXIY4Yg.png

Blown flap technology had been experimented with in the past, though: the Breguet 941 (McDonnell 188) began STOL trials in 1961, eventually knocking its takeoff roll back to 600ft. Later in 1974, the Boeing YC-14 would re-visit the concept. The Jetwing is the first true blown wing.

Download Link:
https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/Ball-Bartoe-Jetwing

Tomorrow's Craft:
MacCready Gossamer Condor

I'm letting everyone know that I'm not going to be able to post at all for a week because I'm going on a trip, so I won't be able to post the Rockwell HiMAT craft if the time comes this week. Another update is I won't have time to build the X-32 which disappoints me as much as you. I am sorry for not being able to post when I can and adding more work to whoever takes up the X-32. 

On 13/06/2017 at 0:40 AM, Servo said:

Spoiler

January 1953: Convair F2Y/F7 Sea Dart

NO5NLoS.png

The Convair F-7 Sea Dart was an experimental seaplane fighter design in the late 1950s. Also designated F2Y, only a few prototypes were ever made, as the program was cancelled after numerous issues with the design. The Sea Dart launched using hydroplanes under the nose, and could break the speed of sound, making it the only seaplane to have ever done so.

F2Y Sea Dart 2.jpg

The design was created to allow supersonic aircraft (which at the time required long takeoff/landing rolls) to operate from carriers. In fact, one possible role for the Sea Dart would have it operating from a submarine carrier, although that design didn’t make it very far.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/F-7-Sea-Dart

Tomorrow's Craft:

My own Bell X-5 Variable Incidence demonstrator

So I just discovered this thread, and was already thinking of my own Sea Dart from a few versions ago, before fairings were really a thing. Then when I found the post above, I just had to share :)

4E6FT0Q.jpg

Supersonic Seaplane Album Here

22 minutes ago, YoeriCookie said:

X-Plane-of-the-notso-day

Really, it should be X-plane-of-the-week at this point. I do like the series but it's not really that active, sadly

Unfortunately, that's true. Ironically, summer has put a damper on my KSP time, rather than freeing more up. Additionally, adding more people caused scheduling to become more difficult. 

But yes, it has slipped a lot.

2 hours ago, Servo said:

Unfortunately, that's true. Ironically, summer has put a damper on my KSP time, rather than freeing more up. Additionally, adding more people caused scheduling to become more difficult. 

I don't really mind. Its still a lot of great work.

3 hours ago, YoeriCookie said:

X-Plane-of-the-notso-day

Really, it should be X-plane-of-the-week at this point. I do like the series but it's not really that active, sadly

3 hours ago, Servo said:

Admittedly, I think the only hold-ups have been mine, so if anybody's got to apologize, it ought to be me. [and so I do] I have a double feature as proof I exist, though, so here's two planes:

August 1977: MacCready Gossamer Condor

KRLjgHD.png

The MacCready Gossamer Condor was the first of two designs created by Paul MacCready of Aerovironment, also responsible for the creation of the NASA Pathfinder series, to conduct experiments with human powered flight. The craft had to extra light-weight in order to be feasible in theory and practice. The Condor weighs approximately 70lbs unloaded. The Condor has a wingspan of 30ft/9.14m and is essentially a gondola slung under a wing where a pilot pedals a large area, slow moving pusher-propeller. The paint and coverings company, DuPont sponsored the project through its supply of Mylar PET film, which was used as a covering.

CONDOR_4.jpg

The Aircraft won the Kremer Prize, a prize offering of £50,000 to whomever could create a controlled, man-powered aircraft which could fly one mile (1.6km) at a surface altitude greater than 10ft(3m). The controlled criteria was tested by requiring the plane to fly a figure-8. Several craft had attempted this before, but the Condor was the first to succeed in 1977.

June 1979: MacCready Gossamer Albatross

OMny4Yd.png

The MacCready Gossamer Albatross was another human-powered aircraft, larger (wingspan: 98ft/28m) and heavier (215lbs/97.5kg) than the Condor, but much more aerodynamically efficient. It was able to cross the English Channel in 1979, piloted by Bryan Allen in good weather conditions over a distance of 35 miles at 18mph. Absolutely Blistering. Paul MacCready was awarded the Collier Trophy for his formation of (and work on) the Albatross Program. Knowledge in super-lightweight aircraft gained from these two programs would be drawn upon heavily in the design of the NASA-Aerovironment Pathfinder aircraft and Paul MacCready’s Solar Challenger. The Albatrosses and singular Condor are on display to this day.

Albatross1.jpg

More Pictures on KerbalX
Download Links:
https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/MacCready-Gossamer-Condor
https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/MacCready-Gossamer-Albatross

Tomorrow's Craft:
@qzgy's Lockheed Have Blue

21 hours ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

Given all of the above statements, this thread is officially going on hold until Monday, July 24th, and will pick up with @qzgy's Have Blue. I think the thread will run smoother this way as opposed to going out-of-order. Stay tuned.:)

That's probably a good idea considering how jumbled up everything's been recently. But in any case, great work with everything guys! Keep it up.

31 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

Hello.
I'm un-sure how you handle requests, but I'd love it if you added this beautiful plane to your to-do list, complete with its drop tank:

F-5E Tiger II.

We did a F-5 Freedom Fighter as well as the T-38 Talon for JotD.

The F-5 is about halfway down, and the T-38 is at the bottom of the same page:

I'm back! And its Monday, so let's take this thread off hiatus.

December 1977: Have Blue

Have blue was one of two experimental aircraft entered into a competition to build a low observability airframe or a stealth aircraft as a reaction to improving Soviet radar and missile systems. This was done by using mathematical models to calculate how radar would deflect off of the aircraft and thus, reduce its radar cross section. Other things were done to reduce infrared, acoustic, and visual visibility. The actual shape was doubted by Skunk Works founder Kelly Johnson as to how effective it would be. Physical tests on models did however prove Johnson wrong, with the new shape, nicknamed 'The Hopeless Diamond', having a much lower cross sectional area than the D-21 Drone, the then lowest radar cross section made by Lockheed Martin.

DARPA_USAirForce_HaveBlue.pngvLVCxp7.png

The entire aircraft was extraordinarily unsuitable to fly, with all of its angled wing panels and other stealthy features. Therefore, the entire aircraft had to be flown using a fly by wire system to keep the plane flying, actually borrowed from an F-16 to cut costs.

zElQLSY.png

Both airplanes crashed due to technical faults. However, the overall project was a success leading to the basic design and models later giving way to the F-117, the first operational stealth fighter.

Download: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Have-Blue

Tommorow's Aircraft: XFV-12 (currently unknown who is/was/is going to be working on it.)

2 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I have a XFV-12, if no one else is building it. Nice plane qzgy. :)

Ok cool. I'm not in charge but you can probably take that spot.

Also thanks.

Just now, MatterBeam said:

How does it fly in KSP?

Actually really well. Its very stable, probably due to the many SAS wheels clipped into it. It may have a slight tendency to I think pitch down, but not by much.

Take it for a spin, its very forgiving!

Rockwell XFV-12

300px-XFV-12A_HC352-0-112_P1.jpg

aheY3sT.png

The Rockwell XFV-12 was an experimental VTOL which never left the ground. Instead of the swiveling thrust exhausts used on its peer, the Harrier, it used a new concept called "thrust augmented wing" which entailing forcing exhaust through flaps on the wings to increase lift. Unfortunately for Rockwell, said concept wasn't very good, and didnt produce nearly as much lif as expected. You could say thrust augmented wing technology never really "took off."

(Amusingly, it's engine didn't produce enough thrust to lift the engine alone off the ground.)

yKnXofP.png

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swpj91qxfdx4omp/Rockwell XFV-12.craft?dl=0

Edited by MiffedStarfish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.