New Planets

Wouldn't it be nice if the Devs added in new planets or moons? They did it with Eeloo, why not do it again? Why not add in the legendary 'Gas Planet 2', or a couple of more moons around Duna, or a moon around Dres? I've been to every planet and every moon, and i'm starting to get bored with the choices of planets or moons to have a ground base or space station on. What would you like the new planet or moon to be called? Maybe if we start the discussion, it might appear in update 1.3. :cool:

Are these new planets going to look any different than any of the existing planets? And if so, then why don't they spice up the existing planets with this new technique so that we didn't get bored of them

Currently, going to another planet feels like science farming and plant a flag, done, dusted...next! But it shouldn't be like that. I mean we have special goals like bringing back a kerbal from Eve's suface, building a Laythe base, but all those get cut short because there isn't really anything to see on the planets...they need detail

If you want new planets, install Kopernicus and mods that add new planets. I highly recommend the Outer Planets Mod or Kerbol Origins. They add so much more to the KSP experience. In addition to that, OPM in particular gives such stunning views and sceneries that I could stare at for hours. Check them out, they're really worth installing. :wink:

18 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

Are these new planets going to look any different than any of the existing planets? And if so, then why don't they spice up the existing planets with this new technique so that we didn't get bored of them

Currently, going to another planet feels like science farming and plant a flag, done, dusted...next! But it shouldn't be like that. I mean we have special goals like bringing back a kerbal from Eve's suface, building a Laythe base, but all those get cut short because there isn't really anything to see on the planets...they need detail

Yeah you're right as well. They need more detail, and maybe update the graphics for the planets and moons, like adding clouds on Kerbin and other planets that have an atmosphere, adding realistic water visuals, and maybe add weather variations to the game. Anyway, I think that KSP needs new planets or moons. A moon around Dres? Another moon around Duna? And also, this topic is only about adding new planets or moons to the game, not about updating the current planets or moons.

1 minute ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

If you want new planets, install Kopernicus and mods that add new planets. I highly recommend the Outer Planets Mod or Kerbol Origins. They add so much more to the KSP experience. In addition to that, OPM in particular gives such stunning views and sceneries that I could stare at for hours. Check them out, they're really worth installing. :wink:

I'm talking about the devs adding new planets or moons to the STOCK game, not about a planet mod. This topic is about new planets or moons being added in the next update, not about planet mods.

I must agree with @Blaarkies here, we do not need new planets, we need the ones we have to be more interesting. If Squad adds another gas giant, it won't change a lot of stuff, maybe a new Jool-five-ish-challenge will appear, but it will most likely just mean that we have some more places to collect science, and then be done. 
And also, it won't come in 1.3. I'm pretty sure that everything for 1.3 is done, or very close to done.

3 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

A moon around Dres? Another moon around Duna? And also, this topic is only about adding new planets or moons to the game, not about updating the current planets or moons.

Thats the point, more of the same dull planets won't do anything for the game. Even adding better visuals won't change it(clouds, scatterer, and some hd textures do nothing for the flat landscapes on Duna, the only two different spots are really the pink poles, and the orange dust bowls)

That being said, that is really the sad part of real life exploration as well...Mars is barren, and the only interesting things there are really science related. I mean if we could get to stay there for a week, it would be cool feeling the different gravity, the absent atmosphere, the coolness factor of being one of the lucky few...but take a walk somewhere around there, and imagine how by the end of the week you realise everything looks pretty much the same.

So in game, we land on Duna, get the science, plant a flag and walk around...for 5 minutes? Then sometime after we may land again, or even build a base, this base refuels a science scout-plane-thing...and then suddenly it gets really boring there, because it is literally just flat textured landscapes. I heard some cool ideas for weather affecting flight, volcanic activity, some cryo geysers and the like, or meteor showers(just asteroids repeatedly respawning on a collision course with the a moon, imagine seeing them near your near base)

Anything that give the planets more character, or interactivity would go much further

* also keep in mind the analogues of the game. Dres is a Ceres-like body, which will find it hard to hold on to its moon (half the size of Gilly is already too big for Dres). Mars could very well handle a Gilly size moon to simulate Mars' Deimos. It can be argued both ways which way is better for analogues, but that is SQUAD's decision in the end

Having new places to go is great. I don't spend a lot of time on the planets anymore, beyond landing and grabbing science, so additional transfers, cargo to be pushed, basically space-based activities get expanded by the addition of new planets. That makes the game for me, new destinations. The New Horizons mod got me a bit excited about stock KSP again because there were new destinations; being able to wrangle Sarnus and then Urlum fly-bys from a Jool transfer, and then finnagle a dip back to the inner system using Urlum's gravity was very satisfying. Additional destinations did that. I have zero interest in "colonizing" activities or building bases so, as long as they're reasonably detailed (as most of them are), new planets are a major win in my book. There's nothing to do on the planets anyway and I have yet to see a remotely interesting new activity proposed for the surface beyond biome-hopping or the simple challenge of landing.

New planets are sorely needed.

I think i would only like 1 planet to be added:

I proposed them by experience that cannot be gathered by stock planets.

1.One gas giant further than Eeloo by just a bit, but with way more inclination than Eeloo itself.

Why that would be interesting? 

-Insertion burn will be tough.

-Inciniation change will also be a hard thing

-Not as big as Jool's atmosphere will be a bit dangerous to aerobrake at.

-No big moons to use their gravity asist.

Won't that just kill off visits to Eeloo?

-No. 

-First of all it will take way more Dv than a trip to Eeloo, making it way more hard.

-Do people go to Dres or Moho? Even if there is Eve or Jool? Yes they do.

1.1. Two closest moons, comet-like will orbit polar, its landscape will make up a challenge to land on. One will be bigger, approximetly Ike's size. It would be interesting because it will have lots of deep valleys scattered all over its surface. It will simulate Europa.

Why?

-Jool does not have small inner moons like Jupiter. It is probably becauce Laythe threw them away.

-It is also fun to have a few boddies with their main attraction being its surface.

1.2 One dark purple moon in equatorial, high orbit around gas giant. It will have thin atmosphere which will be very dark, making it hard to land on. It will also have just 2 small lakes at equator. Why only 2? Because i think devs can make them look pretty, even without visual mods, simply by making it detailed!

Why?

-Atmosphere thinner than Duna is also a thing which does not exist in stock KSP

-A moon with atmosphere and liquids is always interesting to explore!

-It will also be a Triton anoloque.

I personally only really want two planets: one is a planet slightly larger than Duna orbiting about half as far as Moho is from Kerbol, and it would have a hot, very thin atmosphere, and would be tidally locked. Basically Moho from 0.17, except maybe there would be high, rugged terrain on the side facing away from Kerbol because of the nearside's crust vaporizing a little early in its history like what evidence suggests happened to the Moon. (except that it was the Earth's heat because it was so hot after Theia hit) The side facing towards Kerbol would be a lot smoother and more dangerous to land on because of the heat.

In addition to that, a Neptune analog with a Triton-like moon (Neidon and Thatmo from OPM basically) would be interesting.

Like many people have said already, we need more of a reason to stay on a planet beyond planting a flag and leaving, or setting up a base to get more science. I'm not sure how Squad may go about something like that, but if it does happen, I'll be looking forward to it. :)

Sadly, I think we'll have to wait for KSP2 for more things to do on planets/moons/bases/stations/ships. And here's hoping there really will be a sequel. Until then, we can just dream I guess. So add mine to the list, as well. My vote would be for Neptune/Triton as some of you have suggested already. An ice giant with a captured moon in a retrograde orbit? I think that would be an interesting place to visit.

I'd like to have something more crazy in the game.  A planet with some really extreme topography, where the highest peaks stick out of the atmosphere and the lowest valleys are so deep that the atmosphere there makes any engine impossible to use => you have to use rovers to get out of there. Right now, I'm learning how to create such a planet with Kopernikus.

Honestly, I'd love to see improvements to the biome system. Sure, have a few large biomes, but add a couple of dozen little ones that actually require effort to get to, and perhaps give the smaller biomes slightly higher science scores, to encourage people. I'm kinda sick of just 'Lowlands, Midlands, Highlands and Poles'. In real life, you won't expect to get identical scientific results from halfway around the world from the original site.

Also, as a further improvement, you could add smaller, procedurally generated 'areas of interest' where you could get slightly more science. These would have to show up on orbital scans, and some would yield more science than others.

Just my thoughts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.