[1.3] [Kopernicus] 34Tauri(2020) – Firefly's The Verse [Alpha Dev]

On 5/25/2017 at 5:28 AM, Pretorian28715 said:

Also I found this, 'Usually I like to use 4096 for larger planets, 2048 for mid size moons, and 1024 for tiny moons. Higher res textures will look better but will also take up more memory' in a post by @sdj64, what sort of radius could be defined as Large, Medium and Small?

Any recommendation for Color, Height and Normal Resolution size, I remember seeing 1024 for Color, 2048 for Height and Normal [I think], but can't remember where.

It's really your choice and the guideline was never intended to be a hard rule.  The reason I mentioned it at all was because back then, KSP was 32 bit!  Now with 64 bit as standard, you have much more memory to play with so you can use larger textures.  It's nice to provide smaller textures as an alternate, so those with older computers can still enjoy it.

Is there a way to create a version with this as the primary system in KSP.

The other question, is this done Kerbal Scale? (This means changes to mass and area/volume, including the universal constant between the two to make life easier for space explorers, presuming Kerbin to be earthlike in an earthlike system.)

On 5/27/2017 at 10:47 PM, sdj64 said:

It's really your choice and the guideline was never intended to be a hard rule.  The reason I mentioned it at all was because back then, KSP was 32 bit!  Now with 64 bit as standard, you have much more memory to play with so you can use larger textures.  It's nice to provide smaller textures as an alternate, so those with older computers can still enjoy it.

Yeah, I would have three textures pack options.   HD which provides 4K for all, SD which has 2K for large and medium planets, and 1K for small moons, and LD which drops all down to 1K.

While technically many systems can now handle 8K and 16K textures, it probably isn't recommended.   Performance results are mixed because it drastically increases fill rate demands, and the added memory uses can push into physical memory limits.  This is especially important for people with older video chips that can have 512MB of video memory or less, or integrated chips that have poor fill rate and have to share memory bandwidth with the CPU.

4 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Is there a way to create a version with this as the primary system in KSP.

The other question, is this done Kerbal Scale? (This means changes to mass and area/volume, including the universal constant between the two to make life easier for space explorers, presuming Kerbin to be earthlike in an earthlike system.)

Erm... not sure how to do that but could at some point try to figure it out.

And the System is all Stock scale. And if any one wants it I could make it Earth, but would again need to figure how first. 

With the textures I can do up to 4096 as have them but I have to think of every body and for the moment I am in a testing phase need to workout the kinks first. So only 1024 for now, this is so that the more people that can use it the more feedback I can hopefully get.

Edited by Pretorian28715

42 minutes ago, snkiz said:

koperacus is on 1.3 may a ask what the restriction is then?

Tried this in 1.3, but it did not load, need to test a bit more, should be for the next version.

As noted in the OP, I'm new to Modding, and not too sure what affects what, but I have noticed something that might be causing it.

Should have 0.22 up later today [not at home ATM, so cannot test until later either], any and all constructive feedback is appreciated.

As an avid Firefly lover, this makes me very happy :D

Small complaint, a star of type G5 would not be a red dwarf, and It would likely be an orange-colored star. Additionally, a star of type A0 would probably have a blue hue, and a star of type F0 would look pure white. Looking at a Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram should help with that.

6 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

As an avid Firefly lover, this makes me very happy :D

Small complaint, a star of type G5 would not be a red dwarf, and It would likely be an orange-colored star. Additionally, a star of type A0 would probably have a blue hue, and a star of type F0 would look pure white. Looking at a Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram should help with that.

No that's ok, I'm aware they don't quite match, it is Alpha Dev for a reason.

I was having trouble getting the planets to work correctly, now solved, but now need to find suitable textures for them.

Next on the to sort list are the Stars and Gas Giants, need to make them correct and in line with the others I have seen in other packs. So got some work to do in that. Just working on the stellar atmospheres this week. So they should look a lot better. 

I have a Star Type to RGBA list that I can use, but I had not found it before I set the colours for the main Stars. Will update them I'm the next release. But I'm having trouble deciding what to do with the ProtoStars, as they are not true Stars I have no comparison for them other than brown dwarfs?

Truthfully I was expecting more feedback by now, so any recommendations will be considered, and open from all.

Thanks in Advance.

Ok, so 0.30, is now up, this should have the Main bodies looking better, still need tweaks.

Planetary Rings Added

Asteroid Belt Rings Added [if they work]

Stars and Gas Giants 'art' pass

Stars colour corrected to Class Type

Fixed a Typo [odd character] in the Planet & Moon cfg's [which caused them all to fail to load]

***Again I can't test till later, so let me know if any issues.***

Edited by Pretorian28715
update

Ok, so tested this last night, and all the 'Main' bodies show up.

However, and I hate however's, the CommStation Textures do not look like the Moon [Earth's] like they should. :( 

I didn't get to looking at the Planets or Moons, because of the CommStation problem, but not sure why, anybody come across this before?

The Rings failed, with MM errors, name problem, should be fixed in next release. :(

Also I'm not impressed with the Star Type based colours? :/

I will be sorting pics for the OP with the next update [I keep remembering the 'no pic, no clicks' that pops up around the forum [surprised its not been mentioned here yet] :sticktongue: ].

I have a few aesthetic issues that I want to sort, but we will have to sort those as we go.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Hi, couple of questions for you.

The G5 Star, why do you say it is a dwarf star? as the system is Stock scale. So they are scaled against the Sun (Kerbol), so the White Sun is 2.5 times the diameter of Kerbol.

I have updated the colours in the latest release and not sure they look right or I like them. What do you think? or do you have any alternative suggestions?

6 hours ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Hi, couple of questions for you.

The G5 Star, why do you say it is a dwarf star? as the system is Stock scale. So they are scaled against the Sun (Kerbol), so the White Sun is 2.5 times the diameter of Kerbol.

I have updated the colours in the latest release and not sure they look right or I like them. What do you think? or do you have any alternative suggestions?

Yes it would be a dwarf star. Just as the Sun is a yellow dwarf, a G5 star would be a yellow dwarf, but on the verge of being orange.

I'll download this mod and look at the updated colors in a bit.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

23 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yes it would be a dwarf star. Just as the Sun is a yellow dwarf, a G5 star would be a yellow dwarf, but on the verge of being orange.

I'll download this mod and look at the updated colors in a bit.

Ah that's a point.

How did you get on?

Just now, Pretorian28715 said:

You were going to have a look at the updated version?

Not to worry, sounds like you got busy, so when you have time. But you are the only one giving feedback so sorry for hounding you.

Yes I'll look at that today. Working on a lot of things at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...
On 15/06/2017 at 6:18 PM, Pretorian28715 said:

S'ok I know how that feels.

...and the last month proves it.

Ok, so I have not been able to work on this since my previous post, and have been trying to keep up with other threads that I follow, as and when I can. That being said I need to get a chance to look at this again, so don't worry I have not forgotten.

Think I have the Basic System sorted, now need to start on things like appearance of the Bodies.

So I have a question, is there anyone interested in helping? mainly creating Colour Maps for the planets and moons.

I have 69 Planets and 178 [ish] moons but I only need 14 for the planets and 26 for the moons. But this is still a lot at 40 colour maps total.

I still need to find out how to make them in the first place too, worse I'd need Biome maps at some point too.:(

As always any and all help is appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 7:42 AM, The-Doctor said:

Ooo, what is this? Explain (Dalek voice)

It is the System where the Firefly series takes place. The bodies are made, just need the time to make the finishing touches, things like colour, normal, and biome maps etc.. or figure how to do it via PQS, might even get round to Science.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.