Amateur Telescope Making (UPDATED 9/23/18) - 20" f/4 Nearly Complete

TDE is gone, and so are the rings. I started parabolizing yesterday, and I'm around 1/3-1/2 of the way there. I leave for the eclipse tomorrow so I won't get to work on it again until the end of the month (today I'm tired and don't feel like working on it).

I'm going to construct the scope for star testing before I get the mirror aluminized.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started constructing the scope for the 6" f/4.3. The OTA is a Sonotube painted Royal Blue on the outside and flocked on the inside with black-painted cork. Focuser is a cheap 1.25" Chinese rack-and-pinion which I had lying around, secured to the tube with screws and epoxy. 

The boards for the mount have been cut and I've sanded and stained the ones for the rocker box. Over the next few days I'll finish sanding, staining, and assembling the mount. I still have to order a 1.83" secondary and spider (trying to find a used one to save money).

33 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

A reflecting finder scope?

Yeah. I don't know if I'll use it for the 8-incher though. Maybe a larger scope. Have put it on the backburner.

3 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Errr, i am confused. Why is the tube that long ? The focuser sits quite low ... isn't it a newton or do you consider the part above the focuser a rigid dew shield ?

It's to block stray light, though I suppose the dew protection is nice too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.