What are your plans for the solar eclipse?

GoSlash27

1 hour ago, Brent Kerman said:

I am going to check fly-over times! They don't have predictions that far on ahead, unfortunately.

Celestia.

I'll have to fire up my other machine later on and see where the ISS will be during all of this.

Done. The answer: No.

The red line is the moon's orbit... the black blotch in the middle of the USA (just above the ISS label) is the shadow. One of the gray lines is the ISS orbit (as marked), and the other is the Hubble. The fuzzy white galaxy-looking thing on the far right is just that, galaxy Sagittarius dSph.

Ce8VUM2.png

Edited by LordFerret
update

49 minutes ago, cubinator said:

@LordFerret Surely they'll be able to see it from that close to the shadow and snap a few pictures? I was more interested in seeing footage from low Earth orbit than seeing the station from inside the shadow (Although that would be cool too).

Time-wise, the ISS closest approach was about a minute earlier than what I have in that picture. They should be able to get some nice pictures though. They're moving too fast however to actually record the shadow's track. Maybe one of the GOES geostationary satellites can cover that, east and/or west conus (visible), near real-time.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

@LordFerret Surely they'll be able to see it from that close to the shadow and snap a few pictures?

If the ISS crew is in position to see the umbra then those within the umbra might also be able to see the ISS go by? It will be dark enough to see stars and planets, after all? Maybe it'll be something for eclipse viewers in Wyoming and/or Nebraska to keep an eye out for?

Edit: Of course this far out, I imagine that orbital perturbations will still have enough of an effect on the ISS' exact position that day that this speculation may be meaningless...

Edited by PakledHostage

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

@LordFerret Surely they'll be able to see it from that close to the shadow and snap a few pictures? I was more interested in seeing footage from low Earth orbit than seeing the station from inside the shadow (Although that would be cool too).

Thing is, a total eclipse from LEO isn't a big deal. They can see the corona any time they want because there's no atmosphere to scatter the light. Just block the sun with your finger and *poof*... eclipse.

The interesting thing from space is the umbra.

Best,
-Slashy

46 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Time-wise, the ISS closest approach was about a minute earlier than what I have in that picture. They should be able to get some nice pictures though. They're moving too fast however to actually record the shadow's track. Maybe one of the GOES geostationary satellites can cover that, east and/or west conus (visible), near real-time.

That's great! I hope they get some nice pictures.

45 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

If the ISS crew is in position to see the umbra then those within the umbra might also be able to see the ISS go by? It will be dark enough to see stars and planets, after all? Maybe it'll be something for eclipse viewers in Wyoming and/or Nebraska to keep an eye out for?

Edit: Of course this far out, I imagine that orbital perturbations will still have enough of an effect on the ISS' exact position that day that this speculation may be meaningless...

I'm practically right under the shadow in that picture, so I'll keep an eye out, especially when it's closer to eclipse day.

15 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Thing is, a total eclipse from LEO isn't a big deal. They can see the corona any time they want because there's no atmosphere to scatter the light. Just block the sun with your finger and *poof*... eclipse.

The interesting thing from space is the umbra.

Best,
-Slashy

Sure, the coolest thing to see will be the shadow on Earth.

1 hour ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Too bad it doesn't go through CA...

and im probably not going to be able to convince my parents to drive me up to OR :wink: 

You should try really hard to talk them into it. Your next good chance isn't until 2045.

Best,
-Slashy

3 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

It's also something like a 10 hour drive-right when school is starting :( 

That's about my drive, and I'll take my kid out of school to see it (one starts the Friday before, the other starts the Tuesday after). Literally a sort of once in a lifetime thing, I think---there will be more, but they are either much farther away, or the fact that all depend on weather, so you take chances where you can. It's educational!

2 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Since my family is already planning a trip this summer (in September), I don't think there's much I can do about it.

Thus, my plan is to watch the measly 70% eclipse and be sad. ;.;

Where are you? Southern CA?

Long drive to be sure

• 5 weeks later...

I have to get between Cheyenne and Casper, I guess. Straight up I-25 about 10 hours. Probably take a couple days to head north, then see eclipse, and drive straight through back home since my son starts school Tuesday.

We had an invitation to go stay in Jackson, Wyoming with a couple we know up there. But, just our luck, the eclipse happens on the first day of classes at the college where I work. So I can't get the time off, we'll be watching it from home. :( Why can't they think of these things when they schedule eclipses?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.