What are your plans for the solar eclipse?

GoSlash27

2 hours ago, TheSaint said:

We had an invitation to go stay in Jackson, Wyoming with a couple we know up there. But, just our luck, the eclipse happens on the first day of classes at the college where I work. So I can't get the time off, we'll be watching it from home. :( Why can't they think of these things when they schedule eclipses?

It's simply impossible to fit everyone's schedules for an entire continent.

• 1 month later...

Just two weeks left and things are falling into place. I'll be going to Columbia, SC for a few days to see the eclipse. Hotel is booked, and I already know where I want to see the eclipse. There's this one science museum that's having a ton of events leading up to totality, including a visit from one of the Apollo 16 astronauts. I'm hoping to see the eclipse there. I also have a backup plan of driving to Charleston SC for the eclipse of the weather in Columbia turns bad. I even got a new 16-gig memory card for my camera to use to video tape the entire eclipse.

18 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I live in the 100% shadow zone... :D I am going to enjoy it.

Awesome!

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Just two weeks left and things are falling into place. I'll be going to Columbia, SC for a few days to see the eclipse. Hotel is booked, and I already know where I want to see the eclipse. There's this one science museum that's having a ton of events leading up to totality, including a visit from one of the Apollo 16 astronauts. I'm hoping to see the eclipse there. I also have a backup plan of driving to Charleston SC for the eclipse of the weather in Columbia turns bad. I even got a new 16-gig memory card for my camera to use to video tape the entire eclipse.

Awesome!

Hey, thanks for the idea... I have a video camera with a 32 gig chip!

8 hours ago, TheSaint said:

As of right now, every time someone brings up the eclipse I start thinking of this What If? It's going to be a mob scene.

Hence my suggestion.

I know a lot of you Americans will probably feel like you're in control of what you can see; but even if all plan fails and you end up nowhere near totality without an instrument,  or if it's soo cloudy you can't see the Sun during maximum or so, I suggest watch out the tree shadows. It's how I enjoyed my only partial (~90%) solar eclipse so far (my telescope was flocked by everyone else and seeing it from the glasses isn't much fun !). Even if you're in the totality path, they're a good sign of how long it'll be to totality. And if you catch the totality for the first time in your life, I highly suggest you to chill out and watch things unfold ; rather than be bogged down, trying to take pictures of some effects that happen (example bad plan, which IMO he's going to have more to lose) - leave it to the experts who have caught it for time to time.

Edited by YNM

Not even sure if my school will let us go outside when the eclipse starts. And I give it a 25 percent chance it's cloudy anyway. Even if it's not, it's still only a ~70% eclipse where I live. But a few years ago, there was a almost-total eclipse where the moon was a little too small to cover the sun, and it was pretty cool going onto the roof at sunset and watching a ring form around the moon. And the best part is, we still have the glasses, so we know they're legit and we can use them for solar viewing (like when a few months after the eclipse I looked at the transit of Venus for a few minutes.) I'm probably going to try to make an effort to get to Austin for the April 2024 eclipse instead- I'm pretty sure it won't be too cloudy and there's going to be a lot less fuss about it (I hope).

1 hour ago, Confused Scientist said:

Not even sure if my school will let us go outside when the eclipse starts. And I give it a 25 percent chance it's cloudy anyway. Even if it's not, it's still only a ~70% eclipse where I live. But a few years ago, there was a almost-total eclipse where the moon was a little too small to cover the sun, and it was pretty cool going onto the roof at sunset and watching a ring form around the moon. And the best part is, we still have the glasses, so we know they're legit and we can use them for solar viewing (like when a few months after the eclipse I looked at the transit of Venus for a few minutes.) I'm probably going to try to make an effort to get to Austin for the April 2024 eclipse instead- I'm pretty sure it won't be too cloudy and there's going to be a lot less fuss about it (I hope).

Talk to your science teacher. It's a once-in a lifetime thing, it would be near-criminal not to let you see it.

Frame it as a teachable moment, a way to tie the curriculum into real life.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.