What are your plans for the solar eclipse?

GoSlash27

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Craters of the Moon national park in Idaho was at 4x it's usual traffic today.

Craters was nutso on Friday too. I won't even comment on the crowds at Devil's Tower. About as busy as it was in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." (I skipped the DT park and went to North Dakota and back instead. I mean - I've seen the big mound of mashed potatoes, what else is there? I probably made it to ND before the cars in line ahead of me made it into the DT park proper.)

Based on weather, looks like I'm headed south towards Douglas. I'll most likely just find a couple of nice railfanning spots south of Bill, WY, and combine the eclipse with train watching. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Currently in Columbia SC after a 19 hour drive yesterday. The weather is looking pretty nice, with not much cloud cover, low rain chance, and temperatures around 90*F. I'm going to view the eclipse at the University of South Carolina, which is doing a total of 15 eclipse-related stations. One of them is viewing of the partial eclipse through the campus's solar filtered observatory. This gives me an incredible opportunity to take close-up images of the partial eclipse. I will also take a ton of videos, including some during totality. In addition, I'll use both my phone and camera to photograph the total eclipse.

I've already had a great time in Columbia, with plenty of images to share when I get back home. You won't BELIEVE how many beautiful five-lined skinks I was able to find and photograph at Congaree National Park!

Yesterday i thought i could have a chance to get a view of the beginning of the eclipse at sunset here on La Palma island (30-40% obstruction). But the horizontal view is down to 2-3km now because of dust and mist in the lower atmosphere.

54 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

First contact has begun in Oregon!

I thought it's already happening ! It's already August 22 down here...

Good luck everybody, watch out the shadows !

Anyway, another tip to capture partials : just take a shot of the sun, no need for filters, preferably from a standard digital camera (phone camera also works, and the ones I've seen come from those). The optical artifact will show the sun's apparent shape. It'll be a crescent during partials. This is how I alerted some people past the event here that they actually took a photograph during the partial eclipse.

Edited by YNM

I could see Venus for a long time before and after the total eclipse.

Traffic wasn't so bad beforehand because people filtered in slowly, but almost everyone decided to leave right after totality ended and it's probably the biggest traffic jam in Idaho's history. Definitely waiting until tomorrow to drive to Yellowstone. 

Edited by cubinator

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

... almost everyone decided to leave right after totality ended and it's probably the biggest traffic jam in Idaho's history. 

They're missing out the partials. Still lots of things to see.

Just now, YNM said:

They're missing out the partials. Still lots of things to see.

I know, right? Technically it's only half over when totality ends! We waited around watching it for a while because it's really cool and nobody's getting bet far in this traffic.

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I know, right? Technically it's only half over when totality ends! We waited around watching it for a while because it's really cool and nobody's getting bet far in this traffic.

Are you near a tree shadow ? Do you see tiny crescents in them ?

6 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

When you're on the opposite side of the world...

You're not alone ! I'm literally the opposite. Had them last year though !

1 minute ago, thekspbegginer said:

It was horrible.

Traffic ? Clouds ? Mishaps ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.