What are your plans for the solar eclipse?

GoSlash27

3 minutes ago, MrChumley said:

Here's a couple eclipse pics. It got to 90% here in North Denver. :cool:

Eqlkaft_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Yay ! Crescent shadows !

What's with the first image anyway :D

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Clouds are my friends!!!

In partials, they're very helpful indeed !

7 minutes ago, YNM said:

Are you near a tree shadow ? Do you see tiny crescents in them ?

You don't need a tree shadow, you can just make a ring with your thumb and index finger and it will project a crescent onto the ground!

A few notes:

-Wow

-There's so much stuff going on in such a short time that you simply can't watch everything.

-It was getting warmer for a little while as it usually does as the sun comes up I the morning, but soon it actually started getting colder again as the sun was gradually covered up. This effect should be used to raise awareness about global warming, as it clearly demonstrates the fragility of our temperature balance.

-During the eclipse, several commercial airliners were flying along the path of the eclipse. One of them I could see actually turning to chase it.

-It was weirdly dark for a long time before and after the total eclipse, like twilight but with a blue sky.

-Just before and after totality, there were strange ripples like those that make mirages on the ground.

-The corona is white, and was too bright to see Regulus next to the sun.

-Shortly before totality, it was darker to the west where the shadow would come. Only about two minutes before totality did the really drastic changes start. It got darker by the second, with the shadow looming on the western horizon. Then, just as the sun gets covered, there was instantly a sunset on all sides. The corona, Venus, and Mars were all visible. None of the small planes that had been buzzing around earlier were flying during totality. They started coming out afterwards, though.

It's clear why ancient people were so startled by these events because the sun is still too bright to look at before it gets covered, so your only indication that anything is different is that it's a bit darker than usual. About ten minutes before the main event, it's really too dark, and you would know something's up. A few minutes later, the sky begins to darken at a frightening rate, and the shadow moves in from the west. Almost instantly, the sun is gone and in it's place is a crazy white wispy glow that you've never seen anything like before, and the horizon is orange with twilight. That would be really scary if I had no idea what was going on.

4 minutes ago, Ten Key said:

Those are great shots. :)

Thanks, but truth be told, I got SOOOOO lucky! I couldn't really look at it to aim the camera, so I just waited until it was coming out from behind a cloud, then quick popped off about a dozen or so shots... and much to my surprise, two of them actually came out.  :D

Edited by Just Jim

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

You don't need a tree shadow, you can just make a ring with your thumb and index finger and it will project a crescent onto the ground!

Indeed ! I remember photos of people making smiley faces or animal heads off them in other solar eclipses during the presentation of eclipses back then where I live. Didn't actually do them, but definitely something I like to do sometime !

Edited by YNM

42 minutes ago, cubinator said:

-Just before and after totality, there were strange ripples like those that make mirages on the ground.

Hmm... well probably what to expect if I ever catch another one then !

Anyway, anyone got crescent artifacts in their images ? (but not the sun)

Example :

Spoiler

ex_artifact.png?dl=0

Taken by my cousin. It's not photoshopped in or anything.

Edited by YNM

2 hours ago, YNM said:

They're quite a curiosity.

Speaking of weird eclipse side-effects, I also noticed the so-called "eclipse wind" and the 360* red horizon. Things were going so quickly that I didn't have time to look for other things, like the four planets appearing in the sky - Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter.

Oh well, there's always 2024 (assuming the weather cooperates). Besides, this eclipse was absolutely worth a 19-hour drive.

3 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

... Things were going so quickly that I didn't have time to look for other things, like the four planets appearing in the sky - Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter.

Oh well, there's always 2024 (assuming the weather cooperates). Besides, this eclipse was absolutely worth a 19-hour drive.

I hope I can be at the 2023 total eclipse "near" here... totality path is very narrow though so it's not going to be long. There's also an annular in 2019.

2 hours ago, YNM said:

I hope I can be at the 2023 total eclipse "near" here... totality path is very narrow though so it's not going to be long. There's also an annular in 2019.

We had an annular here, and another one south years ago. Saw both. Worth it with little or no effort, not worth it with real effort required.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.