What are your plans for the solar eclipse?

GoSlash27

40 minutes ago, tater said:

School will have already started, but I'm thinking of driving north anyway, as private schools are flexible since they've already been paid, lol.

Any school giving you trouble over skipping a day for a solar eclipse is a school teaching the wrong lessons.

Edited by Camacha

1 minute ago, Camacha said:

Any school giving you trouble over skipping a day for a solar eclipse is a school teaching the wrong lessons.

I doubt the school would care at all, it's only the 2d day of classes. I'm the dad, not the student, and like I said, as long as they get paid, it should be fine---and educational. My daughter might be more concerned about missing a day than school will be.

Edited by tater

1 minute ago, tater said:

I doubt the school will care, it's only the 2d day of classes. I'm the dad, not the student, and like I said, as long as they get paid, it should be fine---and educational.

Well, they should care, but they should also understand :P

We have friends (anthropologists, actually) in Cheyenne... we'd probably ask to crash at their place as it is my understanding that accommodation is nonexistent. Drive north from there the morning of the 21st, see eclipse, then drive the ~10 hours back to ABQ.

My son's first day is Tuesday, so he wouldn't miss it.

Edited by tater

I've been waiting for this event for the last 10 years....I am desperate to NOT miss it, or else I probably will never forgive myself. (How would you feel if you prepared for a major event for a decade but missed it?)

I'll be going down to Colombia, SC to see it - either flying (which is fun) or driving 19 hours (not fun). However, I'll be getting there around Saturday to enjoy a weekend at the coast, then head inland for the eclipse on Monday. I'm hoping to find an area with a decent amount of spectators - not too little, but not too much where you can't get a good view. I'll need a good view because recently I got a 5-foot camera tripod specifically for the event. My goal is to take a FULL video of the eclipse - before, during, and after totality - but still see it with my own eyes. After that I'm not too sure how long I'll be staying in SC. The good news is that my school won't start until after Labor Day, so unless there's a Hurricane Irene Sequel, I could spend a good day or two more.

2 hours ago, max_creative said:

Looking out my window at the sky and wishing I wasn't in Washington State so I could see it... ;.; 

Well, hell...  You'll see 90% obscuration from your window. Surely Salem, OR isn't too far away from you?

Best,
-Slashy

I live in South Central Indiana. I am considering driving down to Kentucky to view this one. Not sure it will be possible for me to do. So if I miss this one, there is one in the near future thats going to go directly over where I live. I hope Im here to see that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.