Remember when "We are dedicated to adding multiplayer" was a thing?

Well, we've been waiting forever... where is it.. I bought this title long ago under the premise that me and my kid would be flying the Kerbal system together.

1. [...] “Shaun [Esau, the developer of the multiplayer mod] has proven that multiplayer can be done, so Squad is committed to making multiplayer a part of the final release,” Squad PR manager Bob Holtzman said. [...]

http://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-committed-to-multiplayer-career-and-sandbox-modes/

2. Currently an officially supported multiplayer mode is not available. Developers have indicated a willingness to develop multiplayer beginning in 2014, and to complete development after the core single player game is released.[...]

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Multiplayer

3. [...] @StolenPotato we're working on Multiplayer for #KSP, and it's planned to be a free update released after 1.0 [...]

https://mobile.twitter.com/KerbalSpaceP/status/583683998360080384
https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/317vxd/kerbal_multiplayer_confirmed_for_free_update/

4. [...] Kerbal Space Program 1.0 officially launches in just six days’ time, but that won’t be the end of its development. Squad has promised other long-requested features, including an official multiplayer mode, which it will begin work on as soon as the developers have enjoyed a serious celebration [...]

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/kerbal-10-release-women/

5. [...] Is there a multiplayer?
Technically, there is no multiplayer, but you can do all kinds of collaborative learning activities with the game. However multiplayer functionality is planned for Kerbal Space Program. There also exists an unofficial mod for Kerbal Space Program that adds multiplayer to the game.[...]

http://www.kerbaledu.com/faq

Edited by Talavar

1 hour ago, regex said:

Yeah, but I didn't ever think they were serious.

Well that's a pretty bad move then, after reading it over and over.. it's still on their main FAQ page as "It's going to be a thing". If that's the case, then they need to take that blatant LIE down.

5 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Been waiting for mp for a long time but not convinced it is going to happen. For me being able to play with friends would get me back into the game properly again.

I haven't played KSP in almost a year. I check back occasionally to see if anything is going on. All I'm asking is that they add the feature they kept saying they would add. (AND STILL HAVE POSTED AS AN UPCOMING FEATURE ON THE Q&A MAIN PAGE) :mad:

Edited by Talavar

1 hour ago, Talavar said:

Well that's a pretty bad move then, after reading it over and over.. it's still on their main FAQ page as "It's going to be a thing". If that's the case, then they need to take that blatant LIE down.

vOv

What did you expect? They put an intern on the job, IIRC, and then that intern left.

3 minutes ago, regex said:

vOv

What did you expect? They put an intern on the job, IIRC, and then that intern left.

- I expect them to stand by what they say. Hire another employee. It's not like they can't afford it.. -.-  If they wanted to, they could release MP in 2 months time. It's not like they're doing anything else at this point, except stroking their wallet. That being teh case, they'd probably start selling KSP again just from adding MP.

Edited by Talavar

3 minutes ago, regex said:

I like your optimism.

Well, considering 1 person, with a few contributers, managed to do it in their spare time in a course of a couple months, I'm sure a full team with full knowledge of the code could do it better.\, and quicker.

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

I wasn't going to comment... but, what?

@SQUAD is right now working on a big upgrade and DLC project..

Wheres this post at"?

Edited by Talavar

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I wasn't going to comment... but, what?

@SQUAD is right now working on a big upgrade and DLC project..

3 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Wheres this post at"?

KSP weekly(s)! It's all they've talked about for weeks now!

Edited by Just Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

KSP weekly! It's all they've talked about for weeks now!

I'm literally looking at it as we speak. All i see is minor fixes to Orbits and shadows... and font work.

1 minute ago, Spartwo said:

If Multiplayer is DLC i'm not paying...

...It's not like I have to to get the Expansions anyway.

So you want squad to give us more features, but don't want them to have the cash flow to do it?  #Logic

Just now, Talavar said:

I'm literally looking at it as we speak. All i see is minor fixes to Orbits and shadows... and font work.

And localization. More money for Squad = more KSP for us.

5 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

So you want squad to give us more features, but don't want them to have the cash flow to do it?  #Logic

You can't be serious.. this thing has sold millions of copies.. Cash isn't an issue. Just the effort to put out a currently promised feature. They'd sell more copies if they simply added multiplayer.. it would more than pay for itself. Id end up buying it for my friends if MP was added.

Edited by Talavar

5 minutes ago, Talavar said:

You can't be serious.. this thing has sold millions of copies.. Cash isn't an issue. Just the effort to put out a currently promised feature.

I'm totally serious. It has sold millions of copies. Steam indicates that sales have dropped, It's past its heyday. Most interested people have it. But with free updates, no more money. Localization, Console Ports, DLC's, all provide money to keep going. A business without a cash flow is no business.

Edited by Brent Kerman

9 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

If Multiplayer is DLC i'm not paying...

That's your choice, but Multiplayer or not, I've put nearly 3000 hours into playing (and writing about) KSP... I will gladly give @SQUAD a few $$$ no matter what's in it

7 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Quote from Friday's Weekly

Spoiler

This week has seen more fine detail tweaks to Update 1.3 along with a few more fixes that need to be checked over by QA. We’ve started looking at optimizing some things and early results are looking good. For example, we have made several improvements on performance and optimization for the Localization Format calls & KSP clocks. Similarly, we have been able to reduce and some cases eliminate several GC (Garbage Collection) spikes reported in the Unity profiler; Whether caused by string concatenation, implicit numeric casting, misusage of StringBuilders, or other variations of string manipulation within the Update and FixedUpdate critical methods. But the devs haven’t finished yet and more optimizations are still being found and applied.

There has also been a lot of in-game testing on the pre-release, while trying to catch up with the bug reports that have been filed on the tracker. Consequently, devs fixed icon shaders for part icons to fix unlit (lights) and flags, as well as some localization texts and UI bugs. Additionally, the sun glare jittering around in Mapview/Tracking station, which was caused by last week’s sun shadows fix, was fixed, coupled with a refactor of units of measurement in the game. These and other fixes can be seen in this week’s Pre-Release build.

And hopefully pleasing the modding community, we have completed the Modders Notes regarding KSPedia and static files replacement processes for modders.

And to wrap up the Update 1.3 section of this week’s issue, we were able to finish some trailers and promotional images we’ll use for the official release and some KSPedia corrections for the Spanish version of the game.

In other news, progress on KSP for Consoles continues. Blitworks keeps sending us new builds and consequently keeping our QA team busy. We even had to get new test-kits to help share the load in that regard. All in all, the builds are looking good and, slowly but surely, we’re getting close to our objective of delivering solid KSP versions to console players.

Moving on to the Making History expansion, where steady progress has not been a stranger, we have been working on creating a basic node structure using the config node format and handling the loading thereof, so that everyone and anyone can create new nodes to add to the Mission Builder. Likewise, some devs are working on a window to visualize and manipulate PQS celestial bodies in the MB.

Furthermore, the work on new IVA and the UI design continues, here’s a sneak peak (it is blurred since it is still a prototype). Not to mention new parts for the expansion, too! This week was spent working on decouplers and stack separators to support the new stack sizes, as well as some more Russian parts.  Here’s an image of the new 5m decoupler and separator.  The interior color differences should make it easier to tell these apart in the VAB tool box while keeping the exterior colors clean and consistent with the new rocket parts they support.  As an added bonus for those players that enjoy more ‘creative’ uses for our parts - all of the new separators and decouplers will be set up with hollow collider configurations (in this case, four mesh colliders).

With all due respect, this sounds like a little more than just fixing orbits and fonts....

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

That's your choice, but Multiplayer or not, I've put nearly 3000 hours into playing (and writing about) KSP... I will gladly give @SQUAD a few $$$ no matter what's in it!

Quote from Friday's Weekly

Hide contents

This week has seen more fine detail tweaks to Update 1.3 along with a few more fixes that need to be checked over by QA. We’ve started looking at optimizing some things and early results are looking good. For example, we have made several improvements on performance and optimization for the Localization Format calls & KSP clocks. Similarly, we have been able to reduce and some cases eliminate several GC (Garbage Collection) spikes reported in the Unity profiler; Whether caused by string concatenation, implicit numeric casting, misusage of StringBuilders, or other variations of string manipulation within the Update and FixedUpdate critical methods. But the devs haven’t finished yet and more optimizations are still being found and applied.

There has also been a lot of in-game testing on the pre-release, while trying to catch up with the bug reports that have been filed on the tracker. Consequently, devs fixed icon shaders for part icons to fix unlit (lights) and flags, as well as some localization texts and UI bugs. Additionally, the sun glare jittering around in Mapview/Tracking station, which was caused by last week’s sun shadows fix, was fixed, coupled with a refactor of units of measurement in the game. These and other fixes can be seen in this week’s Pre-Release build.

And hopefully pleasing the modding community, we have completed the Modders Notes regarding KSPedia and static files replacement processes for modders.

And to wrap up the Update 1.3 section of this week’s issue, we were able to finish some trailers and promotional images we’ll use for the official release and some KSPedia corrections for the Spanish version of the game.

In other news, progress on KSP for Consoles continues. Blitworks keeps sending us new builds and consequently keeping our QA team busy. We even had to get new test-kits to help share the load in that regard. All in all, the builds are looking good and, slowly but surely, we’re getting close to our objective of delivering solid KSP versions to console players.

Moving on to the Making History expansion, where steady progress has not been a stranger, we have been working on creating a basic node structure using the config node format and handling the loading thereof, so that everyone and anyone can create new nodes to add to the Mission Builder. Likewise, some devs are working on a window to visualize and manipulate PQS celestial bodies in the MB.

Furthermore, the work on new IVA and the UI design continues, here’s a sneak peak (it is blurred since it is still a prototype). Not to mention new parts for the expansion, too! This week was spent working on decouplers and stack separators to support the new stack sizes, as well as some more Russian parts.  Here’s an image of the new 5m decoupler and separator.  The interior color differences should make it easier to tell these apart in the VAB tool box while keeping the exterior colors clean and consistent with the new rocket parts they support.  As an added bonus for those players that enjoy more ‘creative’ uses for our parts - all of the new separators and decouplers will be set up with hollow collider configurations (in this case, four mesh colliders).

With all due respect, this sounds little more than fixing orbits and fonts....

I didn't see this one. Then again.. I'm not going digging deep... We don't need more parts and contracts anyway. I can do that with a few clicks of my mouse... -.-

14 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Well, considering 1 person, with a few contributers, managed to do it in their spare time in a course of a couple months, I'm sure a full team with full knowledge of the code could do it better.\, and quicker.

Oh definitely. And it'll be completely bug-free and totally QA'd, ready for PC and console, just like the mod was, amirite?

3 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

But Squad (or any business) needs money. No money = No Squad = No KSP.

adding parts and contracts isn't going to generate more sales.. unless they are planning to charge for something that modders do anyway, which would be a complete waste of time, since the majority of players would just get a mod instead.
   <SNIPPED BY MODERATOR>  G-day.

Edited by Frybert
Tweety Bird.

1 minute ago, regex said:

Oh definitely. And it'll be completely bug-free and totally QA'd, ready for PC and console, just like the mod was, amirite?

I am a programmer, and I can say that completely bug free is near impossible.....even in a DOS text-based program. Computer programs are only as good as the programmers, and humans are not perfect. If anyone is expecting zero bugs, please try a different universe.

2 minutes ago, Talavar said:

adding parts and contracts isn't going to generate more sales.. unless they are planning to charge for something that modders do anyway, which would be a complete waste of time, since the majority of players would just get a mod instead.

Those parts are in a PAID DLC.

1 minute ago, Talavar said:

Laughable... anyway. I'm out.. later fellas.

You sure? You don't think Squad engaged in ... that thing that game companies who love hype engage in?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.