Remember when "We are dedicated to adding multiplayer" was a thing?

On 07/04/2017 at 0:21 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Doesnt sound like it runs well. That sink issue you mentioned is a big problem.

Agreed. It makes play almost impossible. I would go so far as to say KSP will never get an official MP update. Good luck playing one on one with a single player in another country let alone several from several contries. It just wont work.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Sorry for copying this post from

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/164832-multiplayer-in-version-14/&
I think it is still valid here as I've seen some disagreement on the purpose of a multiplayer mode. My purpose isn't to just spam pro-multiplayer arguments, but to share a glimpse of the multiplayer experience, plus it is a great way to teach new people how to play the game.

DMP works great, the warp system is a elegant solution, I have a LAN private server that I run for my room mates.  It adds so much more to the game to have others come and use stations and ships I've designed and use each others achievements to gain career progress.

You see, its not just launching rockets at the same time that is fun, it's the fact that others are working towards the same goal, and you all have a common saved solar system.  It's a lot like swapping save games back and forth, but much faster and you can play the same save at the same time.

Issues that could be fixed with a official multiplayer version:

In the DMP mod I get ghost duplicate ships on reverts that are usually during launches on new designs which inevitably crash back into Kerbin causing a negative reputation for killing the Kerbal pilot. I offset this by occasionally editing the player files manually to reset rep back to 0. It's less of a problem as designs are improved and reverts are less frequent. Money, and research are unaffected by this bug, It of course doesn't matter at all in sandbox.

DMP mod also has issues with live player-player interactions, which we try to avoid on important stations in case something goes horribly wrong.

None of these problems dissuade me in the satisfaction of docking at a station and being able to refuel with fuel that was delivered by another player who may have been playing 6 hours previously, or have a unmanned probe have connection to the comms network because of another players newly added orbiting satellite, obviously the co-op experience adds life to the Kerbal system. It is a great addition to the game and has sold more copies of the game as the people I play with purchased KSP due to the fact that a working multiplayer mod existed.

I am very interested in a official  multiplayer, with private or lan server capability.  I would instantly purchase a "KSP 2" or KSP 1 DLC with this feature. Otherwise, KSP 2 would never interest me as a single player game, I already have better than that with DMP.

Spoiler

(TAKE MY MONEY!)

That all being said, Loved KSP! Loved the single player up to a point, and then it was just... too boring with no one to share progress with.  DMP has added 100's of hours of playtime for me. GET IT! https://d-mp.org/

23 hours ago, RedLeafPatriot said:

It's a lot like swapping save games back and forth, but much faster and you can play the same save at the same time.

And how that is different from just editing the save game? I mean, if what multiplayer provide is just semi-random alteration to the game it may as well be computer generated.

Not to mention how wrong it seem to play multiplayer to avoid live player-player interactions.

4 hours ago, Spricigo said:

And how that is different from just editing the save game? I mean, if what multiplayer provide is just semi-random alteration to the game it may as well be computer generated.

Not to mention how wrong it seem to play multiplayer to avoid live player-player interactions.

you cant actually talk to a computer now can you mate?

again, these are limitations of a mod, I still encourage people to try it.

3 hours ago, RedLeafPatriot said:

You cant actually talk to a computer now can you mate?

Of course I can, it's called chatbot.

In any case I don't need to be in game to appreciate a good chat. So my question remains: If it don't promote player interaction what Is the point of MP ? 

Related: how to promote that interaction?

On 10/8/2017 at 3:51 PM, RedLeafPatriot said:

DMP works great, the warp system is a elegant solution, I have a LAN private server that I run for my room mates.  It adds so much more to the game to have others come and use stations and ships I've designed and use each others achievements to gain career progress.

1) Does it though? I've heard that DMP itself is quite buggy, and prone to acting up

2) It's the wait till everyone can go on rails thing, right? But what if I have a warp to 3 years time and you have a warp to 4 years time? And what happens in I revert my flight?

3) A private LAN server is great. But what if I want to connect with (random person here) who lives in oh I don't know, 2000 km away? How will my game affect his and his game affect mine, especially when there is an element of lag?

4) I can see your point. But what's the difference between this and save game sharing? Still allows you to use a station your friend put into orbit. Also, I make and launch giant ships. What if the guy I'm playing with is on a potato system? He won't enjoy my 1600 part behemoth loading up.

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I can see your point. But what's the difference between this and save game sharing?

That one was answered : faster and don't interrupt access to save. 

Which make me wonder if some tools for sharing content would suffice. 

16 hours ago, qzgy said:

1) Does it though? I've heard that DMP itself is quite buggy, and prone to acting up

2) It's the wait till everyone can go on rails thing, right? But what if I have a warp to 3 years time and you have a warp to 4 years time? And what happens in I revert my flight?

3) A private LAN server is great. But what if I want to connect with (random person here) who lives in oh I don't know, 2000 km away? How will my game affect his and his game affect mine, especially when there is an element of lag?

4) I can see your point. But what's the difference between this and save game sharing? Still allows you to use a station your friend put into orbit. Also, I make and launch giant ships. What if the guy I'm playing with is on a potato system? He won't enjoy my 1600 part behemoth loading up.

1)Dmp works good except for the bugs I listed. 

2)If you warp 3 years in your vessel, i warp 4 in mine. We would have a year differential. We could not see each other as we are in two different time states. 

The player furthest in time is the the one everyone would have to synch to. 

There's probably videos on YouTube if you haven't tried DMP. It works. 

3) The furthest player on my server is through hamachi 200km away. I don't know about lag. I know that we experience some frame skips during launch more so than if it was just vanilla KSP. This makes ships harder to launch. So lag is a issue for sure. A new multiplayer made by the DEV team would have to address this better than the mod is capable of. 

4) for the most part, space is huge. Vessels Are not visible unless you get within X(?) km's, so they do not load up. If the potato is having problems with a large station/ship they can go somewhere else or stick to smaller projects. They will not see the ship unless they actively seek it out. 

Summary, these are valid points that I think are solvable by the dev team. I would really like to see official multiplayer with most issues fixed. Multiplayer has added so much already even with the issues a free mod has. 

We can have player interactions on less important projects. Fly jets around KSC for example. No risk of losing anything important. 

right now we are trying to push a "huge" asteroid into orbit of minimus and build a refuel station out of it. It is in a safe orbit of Kerbin but the ship was undersized and its burn times are awfully long. I'm waiting for someone to make a better design and go grab it. 

It has been fun working with others and collaborating. 

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.