Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

54 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Weird there is no german, which is one of the biggest pc markets in the world, or french.

The more the better, of course. If possible. German is a little tricky, because the UI has some limits and some german words are really long. You know how to spell scientist in german? :)

3 minutes ago, bewing said:

You know how to spell scientist in german?

I do... and I can do you one better... do you know how to spell "rocket-scientist"?  lol

I love Germany, I was stationed there almost 3 years, but I can also totally get where converting to German could get... complicated. :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

As grateful as I am for people who speak different languages to finally be able to play KSP, I feel like this "update" didn't really change a lot, except for merging that asteroid day mod. On top of all of this, this new update apparently breaks mods, and this is when many mod-makers are still trying to get their mod back to 1.2. Anyone else feel the same way?

5 minutes ago, Yoshidude said:

As grateful as I am for people who speak different languages to finally be able to play KSP, I feel like this "update" didn't really change a lot, except for merging that asteroid day mod. On top of all of this, this new update apparently breaks mods, and this is when many mod-makers are still trying to get their mod back to 1.2. Anyone else feel the same way?

Many bugs were fixed. For a long time, the community has asked "don't add features, just fix bugs," and Squad has finally delivered on that.

8 minutes ago, Yoshidude said:

I'm not so sure. I like the new crisper look to everything (not to mention the ambient lighting). The new asteroid additions are certainly welcome (along with the new contracts they bring). But one of the biggest things for any update of any game is bug fixes, which this update has plenty of. As far as mods go, I know people enjoy them (I've got KAC myself), and that's a great thing, but you can't expect a company not to upgrade their product because of the effect it might have on after market additions. I'm happy with the update, and even happier that the expansion is now that much closer.

4 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I'm not so sure. I like the new crisper look to everything (not to mention the ambient lighting). The new asteroid additions are certainly welcome (along with the new contracts they bring). But one of the biggest things for any update of any game is bug fixes, which this update has plenty of. As far as mods go, I know people enjoy them (I've got KAC myself), and that's a great thing, but you can't expect a company not to upgrade their product because of the effect it might have on after market additions. I'm happy with the update, and even happier that the expansion is now that much closer.

I'm not sure that I didn't want them to update, I just thought they would have maybe put a little more features into it, then released it, it would have given modders more time to update.

EDIT: I just sort of wished they could have padded the update out a bit, added some more quality-of-life features that we've been asking for since the alpha, then released it a bit later.

Edited by Yoshidude

The features are primarily Localization, the whole point of this update.... And modders have plenty time to update. It's that the casual player needs to have patience and wait for the modders to catch up. I'm sure a lot of planet pack users are on KSP 1.3 right now and crying because Kopernicus will not work (and several of them will never memorize that).

Well, the modders seem to prefer these days to wait until the build is released before they even start updating. The breakage is actually very small. AFAIK, it took less than an hour to update mechjeb. I think most mods will be quite easy to update.

2 minutes ago, Yoshidude said:

I'm not sure that I didn't want them to update, I just thought they would have maybe put a little more features into it, then released it, it would have given modders more time to update.

I getcha. I think modders get an advance copy of the update, though, so they can get prepared. Mods are important to the community, so Squad does a good job, I think, of keeping them in the loop. As for the new content in the update, it's the equivalent of a small snack before dinner to keep you satisfied. The meal is coming up in the expansion. Can't wait. :kiss:

Ill say it again: They need to address current issues before they add even "moar" features. To which they seem to be doing this. One issue I myself want to seen dealt with is the outdated and very hodgepodge look every part has. A unifying art pass, their own or a full implementation of porkjets would be outstanding!

It appears that the issue with KSP for Mac OSX has not been resolved. Still getting the blank screen at application start. The only way I can start KSP 1.3 is opening up the app contents and running KSP via Terminal.

No log was made during the initial boot-up at the black screen.

1 minute ago, AlamoVampire said:

Ill say it again: They need to address current issues before they add even "moar" features. To which they seem to be doing this. One issue I myself want to seen dealt with is the outdated and very hodgepodge look every part has. A unifying art pass, their own or a full implementation of porkjets would be outstanding!

You are right, they do need to fix bugs, and they are the more important issue. I'm just afraid they will wait to address the other quality-of-life features desperately needed for this game in the expansion pack.

25 minutes ago, Yoshidude said:

I have to wholly disagree. I would hate for KSP to wind up in a similar boat that games such as Minecraft are in now. A few days ago some friends invited me to play modded Minecraft, which they were using mods that haven't been updated since version 1.7. Which came out almost three years ago.

If we're to see quality content from the mod community continue, they're going to have to adapt and learn the new API.

8 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I getcha. I think modders get an advance copy of the update, though, so they can get prepared. Mods are important to the community, so Squad does a good job, I think, of keeping them in the loop. As for the new content in the update, it's the equivalent of a small snack before dinner to keep you satisfied. The meal is coming up in the expansion. Can't wait. :kiss:

I believe Squad released the API in advance for modders so they can go ahead and get a head start on updating to 1.3. Cannot remember with precision however.

2 minutes ago, HandofCreation0 said:

I have to wholly disagree. I would hate for KSP to wind up in a similar boat that games such as Minecraft are in now. A few days ago some friends invited me to play modded Minecraft, which they were using mods that haven't been updated since version 1.7. Which came out almost three years ago.

If we're to see quality content from the mod community continue, they're going to have to adapt and learn the new API.

I believe Squad released the API in advance for modders so they can go ahead and get a head start on updating to 1.3. Cannot remember with precision however.

I didn't say I wanted Squad to just stop making API changes. I said that I was wanting them to pad it out a little, add/fix a little bit more, then release it a bit later. I'm not suggesting that Squad just give up and make no core game changes that could break mods, I just wish that (once again) they would pad it out a little.

10 minutes ago, GDJ said:

It appears that the issue with KSP for Mac OSX has not been resolved. Still getting the blank screen at application start. The only way I can start KSP 1.3 is opening up the app contents and running KSP via Terminal.

No log was made during the initial boot-up at the black screen.

Have you added KSP's digital certificate to your trusted keychain?

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@bewing needs another badge in his sig. :)

@adsii1970 was thinking about making new ones. I hope he does! I'll add it a second after I see it.

14 minutes ago, HandofCreation0 said:

Minecraft is an entirely other scenario which Mojang brought upon themselves.  Their mod scene self-destructed because of Mojang's own stupidity.  Trust me on this I was a big Minecraft modder.  Once Mojang screwed everything up and Bukkit self destructed, a lot of us just gave up.

Edited by Alshain

10 minutes ago, bewing said:

Well, the modders seem to prefer these days to wait until the build is released before they even start updating. The breakage is actually very small. AFAIK, it took less than an hour to update mechjeb. I think most mods will be quite easy to update.

Since folks tend to post their wish lists on these announcement threads, I have a very simple one: Backwards compatibility. It would be a big boost in quality of life for modders and players if no further breaking changes were made to the APIs. Just think how nice it would be if the next release's announcement thread didn't have several people complaining that it was crashing because they still had out of date mods installed. Or think how KSP's mod portfolio would no longer be at risk of shrinking over time once old mod versions (many impossible to update due to license restrictions) continue working without modification.

I say it's simple (and I speak from experience on that) because all you have to do is avoid removing functions or changing their type signatures, which is comparatively easy as dev tasks go because you always know when you're doing it (your IDE may even have a flag to check for it). New functionality can always be added via new functions, and in C# that includes overloads. It's fine to change behavior if an old function can no longer be supported as-is, for example CelestialBody.theName could have been updated to return CelestialBody.name in 1.3 instead of being removed completely.

I realize that no response can be given due to "NDA" and plans-can-change, but I do think this is at least worth considering.

Um, yay? I guess?

I'll be hanging out in KSP 1.2.2 for a while, but I'm glad that those stupid and annoying terrian glitches are gone.

(No more boreholes drilled in kilometers long lines for kerbals to explore :))

Edited by W. Kerman
Me no grammar at 1057

27 minutes ago, bewing said:

Have you added KSP's digital certificate to your trusted keychain?

???

Could you explain how that is done bychance?

1 minute ago, GDJ said:

???

Could you explain how that is done bychance?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25443?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

OSX has some guardian software that prevents untrusted apps from running. And things downloaded off the internet are untrusted, unless they've got a valid trusted digital certificate, AFAIK. Which KSP got recently.