Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

9 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

That will happen when 'bad users' are upgrading their KSP full of mods to KSP 1.3. 

You should uninstall and reinstall KSP. 

What is this 'uninstall' nonsense you speak of?  Is it somehow related to running out of HD space or some-such?

Or perhaps you refer to removing it from the active list of KSP installs in CKAN?

49 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Wow, the gap between the near and far cameras when rendering the water? This must be the oldest KSP bug that's ever been fixed! It's been there since, what, 0.10? Nice to see the team taking a keen eye to polish issues.

Yup. Gap between near and far cameras is fixed. You can see it in the shadows of the buildings, too.

The unity guys finally made a workaround for it, and told everyone basically what needed to be done.

Edited by bewing

49 minutes ago, Terwin said:

What is this 'uninstall' nonsense you speak of?  Is it somehow related to running out of HD space or some-such?

Or perhaps you refer to removing it from the active list of KSP installs in CKAN?

I'm talking about the standard Steam installation process. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to use the Steam installation for normal KSP gaming because of a very simple reason "Upgrade" doesn't work well with KSP.

If an user want to play KSP 1.3 then the recommend steps are:

1. Backup KSP 1.2.2 steam installation.

2. Remove the entire KSP folder under Steam folder (I don't even recommend to use the Steam uninstall option for KSP).

3. Download the last version of KSP 1.3 from Steam

4. Copy & Paste the clean KSP 1.3 to a different folder and use it for gaming and install mods.

Edited by jrodriguez

30 minutes ago, bewing said:

Yup. Gap between near and far cameras is fixed. You can see it in the shadows of the buildings, too.

The unity guys finally made a workaround for it, and told everyone basically what needed to be done.

Excellent! Do you have any details on the fix for reference? It may be of use to modders suffering from similar issues. Does it affect the near camera fade-in for shadows that bound both cameras?

8 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Excellent! Do you have any details on the fix for reference? It may be of use to modders suffering from similar issues. Does it affect the near camera fade-in for shadows that bound both cameras?

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/shadow-fadeoff-approaching-far-clip-plane.356893

You should be able to find the basic info here. That's where the devs found enough to work with.

40 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

Have you read my post just before yours?

Yes, before I submitted my last post.

A fresh install of 1.3 works for me inside its Steam folder. I don't want to start a new game.

I want to continue playing my existing game but like I post earlier, this game, a modded 1.2.2 upgraded to 1.3, crashes.

48 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Module Manager is not updated for 1.3.

Yes it is. Module Manager was updated today.

The new version for  KSP 1.3 is 2.8: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-130-module-manager-280-may-26th-2017-better-late-than-never/

I went through my mods one by one to figure out which ones worked and didn't with the new update.   The most notable ones that didn't were MechJeb, KAS, and KISEVE, Chatterer, Final Frontier, CorrectCoL, Configurable Containers, KAC, Waypoint Manager, Kerbal Launch Failure, and the updated USI mods all work, along with some other minor mods.  Weirdly, Indicator Lights and Aviation Lights didn't.  For those of you experiencing crashes, I hope this list helps.

9 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

We spent a bunch of time trying to minimize the impact the release would have on Mods, and there's a lot that were handled as mentioned above, but with grammar and gender rules in particular we had to make decisions in a couple of areas that would have an impact. In those cases we made changes so that KSP AND Mods can use the fields in translated versions and the grammar will still work - for example in some languages "the Mun" doesnt apply, but with the new structures it comes out right for everyone.

We did document it all up at the time and share it with the prerelease to try and minimize the impact, but rest assured the changes we did make were made trying to minimise update requirements and make things best all round

And that effort's much appreciated. (I used CelestialBody.theName as an example not necessarily because it specifically deserved to live forever, but because it was an example I knew of the kind of change I was talking about.) Precisely because it involved handling UI strings more generically, the localization update may be a good time to lock things down with a hard rule preserving the existing public function signatures. The effort to update for 1.3 was trivial, but there are big benefits to bringing it down to zero.

8 hours ago, bewing said:

When a version goes into prerelease, that's your friendly warning that it's imminent.

That's fine for those of us obsessive enough to use this forum (or the subreddit, I guess). Casuals who fire up Steam every once in a while see no such warning, and any announcement they do see never specifies, "Remember, many of your mods are about to break, and this may make the new version crash on startup."

9 hours ago, Tiankay said:

Yes, but usually the expecation is that people dont tamper with the game in any way. If your installing mods your altering the game in a way not intended by the developer of said game, and no developer can account for that when writing updates.

7 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

The game works, the mods do not. If the game does not work, the out-dated mods are breaking it.

A malfunctioning mod can crash the core game, at which point it's the same thing from the perspective of the user. And we're not talking about mods doing crazy things, just using a public API as intended (previously). A developer absolutely can account for breaking changes to a public API; the spec for Semantic Versioning mentions "public API" 17 times and is essentially written around that concept.

9 hours ago, Tiankay said:

Its a absolutely usual thing for moddable games that they tend to break everything everytime an update gets pushed out. Backwards compatibility is a nice idea, but since modders change just about EVERYTHING in the game, the only way to provide it is to not update at all anymore.

7 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

It is nothing special, same thing happened with Skyrim while it got some patches and updates, same thing keeps happening to World of Tanks, and Minecraft, Medieval Engineers, and i am guessing any game that can use mods suffers from this. Installing mods has always been an at-own-risk thing.

Meanwhile, your doctor's office is still using "mods" from 10+ years and 6+ versions ago because a company I can't name follows rules about preserving backwards compatibility. And that software has had way more lines of code changed than KSP since then. It's not impossible to do, it's just a matter of whether you decide to do it.

Anyway, the bursts of salt and chaos on this thread and the other 1.3 thread (and every previous update announcement thread) speak for themselves. The announcement thread for 1.4, if there is a 1.4, will be the same, or it won't. Mr. Trigger Au has considered the idea, which is all I was after.

2 hours ago, rayceeya said:

Can someone please explain why "autohide nav ball in map" is still on by default.

Worst Option ever.

Nope. That prize still goes to "50% throttle by default." The autohide navball at least STARTED its life with the option to change it permanently in-game.

But yeah it has a pretty good run at second worst.

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That's fine for those of us obsessive enough to use this forum (or the subreddit, I guess). Casuals who fire up Steam every once in a while see no such warning, and any announcement they do see never specifies, "Remember, many of your mods are about to break, and this may make the new version crash on startup."

If someone is so unobservant that they miss a major update to the game (that has been in the works for over half a year) then they should not be modding the game. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is what it is. When you mod the game YOU take ALL responsibility for making sure the game stays functional for YOU.

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

If someone is so unobservant that they miss a major update to the game (that has been in the works for over half a year) then they should not be modding the game. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is what it is. When you mod the game YOU take ALL responsibility for making sure the game stays functional for YOU.

That's helpful if we want to assign blame. I'm more interested in avoiding the need for that, which it is within SQUAD's power to do.

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That's helpful if we want to assign blame. I'm more interested in avoiding the need for that, which it is within SQUAD's power to do.

But it won't fix the problem. It will just split it into two groups:

1) Those who update anyway and then complain because Squad "broke their game."
2) Those who don't update and then complain that they don't have the newest version.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

But it won't fix the problem. It will just split it into two groups:

1) Those who update anyway and then complain because Squad "broke their game."
2) Those who don't update and then complain that they don't have the newest version.

Sorry, I assumed you read the rest of the post you were quoting. I'm talking about moving everyone into one big new group:

1. "I updated to the new version and it works just fine, even with all my old mods installed."

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

Sorry, I assumed you read the rest of the post you were quoting. I'm talking about moving everyone into one big new group:

1. "I updated to the new version and it works just fine, even with all my old mods installed."

Oh, yeah. Backwards compatability. Maybe in KSP 2.0 when there's a full rewrite of the game from scratch.

Frankly I expect multiplayer and a dV readout first.

It seems to me, Squad could add a simple popup dialog when it detects a craft with non-existing parts to offer to A. Delete offending craft or B. Quit to Main Menu without saving the persistence file.

That would solve this problem.  They already are detecting the bad parts, they just need to react better.

As far as going back to the old version when it detects bad parts, you can already do that in Steam.  Properties -> Betas -> Opt in to previous version.

fjBkhwj.png

Edited by Alshain

9 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Also, yes. When I first booted up the game I was like "...was the text always this big?"

I like it, easier to see.

Now that would be great for 4K display owners! From what I've read it was totally unreadable at those resolutions.

40 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I'd think it would also be in their own interest to

8 minutes ago, technicalfool said:
11 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

1.3: Doesn't support Sumerian 

DISAPPOINTED
(obviously kidding)

:(

I put my clay tablets right next to the monitor but KSP apparently was not updated with support for cuneiform. SQUID PLZ FIX

There are so many posts on Steam and Reddit and sometimes also in this board...

The runway on tier 2 is bad. Very bad. It's supposed to be flatter than the grasslands around, but it's the other way...

And it seems that 1.2 even got a worse runway than 1.1 ...

So how about this?

Can a player for sure now also build planes in career and takeoff without hitting bumps?

--

Edit:

I just found this info:

I asked because in my experience with games changelogs sometimes claim it's fixed but then it's not - and when players open new threads about this then ppl say:
"The changelog say it's fixed so it's fixed no matter what."

IMHO it's better to ask ppl if it's really fixed...

Edited by Gordon Dry