Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

Stutter is still there. I took a stock rover for a ride and every 7-8 sec there is a very annoying hiccup. I only have Mechjeb installed with 1.3.

14 minutes ago, pp3d said:

I only survived the 1.1.x to 1.2.x Not enough data to ascertain par(ness) 

I did too, I started playing in November. 1.2.2 came out like in mid-December, right? Every single mod was broken and it took nearly til the end of January for the modders to catch up.And you can't blame them. This must be quite discouraging. I'd be surprised if all my mods actually get updated this time.

8 hours ago, juanml82 said:

KSC, we have a problem

Go ahead Untitled Spaceship Three

Minmus is peeling away. I repeat Minmus is peeling away

(laughs in the background) Stop fooling around Jeb!

I'm not fooling around, I'm not fooling around. Trying to land on the empty ground...

(Ship goes boom)

Oh well, let's just wait for 1.3.1

15 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I've been seeing that, and don't have scatterer installed (I do have mods, but just my own parts mods for testing).  It's really weird, like sections of the landscape float up and away,

Tell you what.  It's REALLY hard to do a powered landing without mechjeb or similar tools, and bits of the landscape floating away into the distance.

For those reporting terrain floating away issues. does anyone have completely reliable reproducible (IE: with a save file) results of this occurring without ANY mods installed? (as I note a few of the examples, or all?, seem to be modded).

1 hour ago, Kerbital said:

Stutter is still there. I took a stock rover for a ride and every 7-8 sec there is a very annoying hiccup. I only have Mechjeb installed with 1.3.

I did too, I started playing in November. 1.2.2 came out like in mid-December, right? Every single mod was broken and it took nearly til the end of January for the modders to catch up.And you can't blame them. This must be quite discouraging. I'd be surprised if all my mods actually get updated this time.

same.. Moving to 1.2.2 took about a month. For 1.3 i have a separate game with interstellar... So far... this update has nothing noticeable in my opinion

2 hours ago, Kerbital said:

Guys.  It'll be fine.  You've only been around to see a few updates.  Many of us have been here through many more updates,  and nearly all mods get updated again and again.  This is a great community.  Mods will survive as long as the community survives.  There is very little need to worry.

I get the updates to fix things like terrain cracks.. Id love to be able use 1.3 I just cant .. I drive a modded game

A feature of the next "update" needs to be COMPATABILITY WITH PREVIOUS VERSION! We're likely bleeding out on tallented modders

KSPs everything to me. Land trains I hold high in an almost cultural way..ive got KSP to thank for it

At this point though given the updates breaking everything.. If another sandbox had the scale of kerbin.. Id give up on KSP.. Quite sad

17 minutes ago, Overland said:

Land trains I hold high in an almost cultural way..

Are you sure your'e ok? (jk)

But yeah, I'm still rolling with 1.2.2 cause I'm lazy to update my mods. There really sometimes is no reason to update, such as this latest one. Sure, a new part, but I don't do career much, so it doesn't really matter to me.

9 hours ago, Pandemic said:

I have a love/hate relationship with updates. I enjoy seeing new features but I really enjoy my mods. With each update I find it takes mods around 2-4 weeks to catch up. There should be a better way. How many mods have been lost purely due to a developer not having time or motivation to update their mod again?

1. Business as usual. Not the first time, not the last time. Most of us have developed something over time to mitigate the effects. For one, never play straight from your Steam install (if you have Steam); always work off a spare copy. I just deleted my 1.1 copy as I haven't touched it anymore. I also have a Python script that copies the Steam files over to my (now) 1.3 install so I don't have to copy over my mods and reset my personal settings when an update for 1.3 comes out
  2. Yes, developers abandoning their mods. They develop them voluntarily, in their free time. For us. And then they get harassed when they don't release an update within 24h after a new KSP version appears. One of the reasons I try to limit my dependency to mods as much as possible, and that I tend to stay away from part mods. It's also a reason why I don't like the "there's a mod for that" attitude and think that certain mods should become part of the game!
Edited by Kerbart

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

For those reporting terrain floating away issues. does anyone have completely reliable reproducible (IE: with a save file) results of this occurring without ANY mods installed? (as I note a few of the examples, or all?, seem to be modded).

And that there is why I didn't mention it till someone else did. :D

In a few hours I can see if I can recreate in a stock build.

4 hours ago, Overland said:

I get the updates to fix things like terrain cracks.. Id love to be able use 1.3 I just cant .. I drive a modded game

A feature of the next "update" needs to be COMPATABILITY WITH PREVIOUS VERSION! We're likely bleeding out on tallented modders

KSPs everything to me. Land trains I hold high in an almost cultural way..ive got KSP to thank for it

At this point though given the updates breaking everything.. If another sandbox had the scale of kerbin.. Id give up on KSP.. Quite sad

Compatible for all mods or just mods that you use?

Who is going to provide list of mods that need to keep working?

What about abandoned mods?

How are they going to figure out which part of the system the mods (ab)use to get things done?

Who is going to test if all mods are working correctly with new version and who is going to pay that army?

If I'm not mistaken, there is some kind of early access for modders + there are early versions so that modders can get their things ready in advance.

I don't think this is Squads problem to solve.

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

Are you sure your'e ok? (jk)

But yeah, I'm still rolling with 1.2.2 cause I'm lazy to update my mods. There really sometimes is no reason to update, such as this latest one. Sure, a new part, but I don't do career much, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Very ok :) ... 1.22 is fine..  screenshots at night to fix shadows and speed limits in effect for cracked land.. 10ms or less..horn blasts for safety

They say they fixed a floating point error in the terrain to mend the cracks

What im reading about floating terrain suggests no...and more no..even very no

Current KSP has a thing with floating..

Landtrains arnt resistant to it either..

Make it a feature! :)

For 1.31 add spooky hacksaw whistles when anything leaves the ground :)

57 minutes ago, Overland said:

They say they fixed a floating point error in the terrain to mend the cracks

What im reading about floating terrain suggests no...and more no..even very no

You may find the lack of responses to this post interesting.

1 hour ago, Corw said:

Compatible for all mods or just mods that you use?

Who is going to provide list of mods that need to keep working?

What about abandoned mods?

How are they going to figure out which part of the system the mods (ab)use to get things done?

Who is going to test if all mods are working correctly with new version and who is going to pay that army?

If I'm not mistaken, there is some kind of early access for modders + there are early versions so that modders can get their things ready in advance.

I don't think this is Squads problem to solve.

I rather ment mods that already work in 1.22 "the previous version" 

But then you might blame gravitational forces on the very visible terrain cracks.. Blame videocards on transparency issues with scatter trees too

All were evident in 1.22 prerelease

So its not so much that broken mods arnt squads problem.. With 1.3

Its that they create more problems and sour a very loving dedicated community each time a "release" comes out

The only thing they seem to release past 1.0

Is the kraken

I know of very few games that break most mods every update in such ways

Especially not one that thrives on said modding efforts

Without mods.. KSP is vanilla..

That might entertain transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water my good friend

but..

Without skilled dedicated people doing all this for free.. The warm buzz of a community is lost..tallent bleeds away

Most parts we have stock now.. All started as mods

Today we survive on people who pickup abandoned mods that originated from some amazing people whos skills are far and beyond quality that should be free in todays materialistic world

Next time progressively we may not be so lucky

KSP remains ontop because of its long history and adaptability.. Theres many things it does right..

Increasingly so the opposite seems to be true

Should someone see a weakness and make a game similar in nature to capitalise on this..(ksps still unique in scale and suchlike) Such an uncaring attitude towards those who make this game great wont be forgotten.. Loyalty and history will mean little

We need more consideration for whats good

So.. You know.. Theres a drop of water :) isnt it attractive..enough to even want to..multiply in eh?

Edited by Overland

On 26.05.2017 at 6:01 AM, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Uh oh. X no longer cancels time warp? Is that a bug or a new feature? If it's the latter, I'm not diggin' it.

X cancelling time warp is a feature of KAC

Never mind, I'm so slow...

Feel incredible lazy to update my 100+ mods setup. But I like changelog for 1.3. a lot.

UI looks less messed up (except pin icon - Y R U so HUUUGE?....) . Alt-C to view interiors. Whooah... Thanks, @SQUAD

May be when DLC will be ready... Or my rover flips again on a seem... Or my plane will flip again on a seem...

Despite the fact Russian localisation sucks, but if you don't know English, but love rockets, it's still better than nothing I guess.

Edited by evileye.x

For me the update is not worthy the long wait - waste localisations in strange languages - a little bugfixing and integration of a old intern Mod is on the one hand - on the other hand - all 1.2 mods are not working now. Better Squad finished his work and begin with KSP 2.0 because it seems they lost their love for the project... (Maybe the DLC will be great but we will see...)

2 hours ago, KnutG said:

For me the update is not worthy the long wait - waste localisations in strange languages - a little bugfixing and integration of a old intern Mod is on the one hand - on the other hand - all 1.2 mods are not working now. Better Squad finished his work and begin with KSP 2.0 because it seems they lost their love for the project... (Maybe the DLC will be great but we will see...)

The languages mostly make sense to me. Spanish, because Squad is based in Mexico. Chinese due to its enormous population. Russian also has a fairly significant population, and has a long history of space exploration.

I'll admit, mildly confused about why they did Japanese before French or German, although there is a reasonable player base of those who speak only Japanese and have access to computers, plus they do have a space program.

The reasons why your mods broke have been repeatedly explained, and you should really either have some patience, or just keep playing 1.2.2 for a while. There will be API changes, and it hasn't even been a week. Squad should not need to bear responsibility for you modifying their product.

Edited by Starman4308

Uff.. 12 pages of complains and mimimi.. 

I have to say, I love it. I recently discovered The fun of playing The game without any mods again and IMHO it's Great! Give it a try again! I highly recommend to anyone of you! 

Great work, thank you Squad! 

3 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

The reasons why your mods broke have been repeatedly explained, and you should really either have some patience, or just keep playing 1.2.2 for a while. There will be API changes, and it hasn't even been a week. Squad should not need to bear responsibility for you modifying their product.

You're right. Nethertheless you can search new content with a magnifying glass. And languages like geman or french was untouched. And mor than a half year development - thats speaks for itself... :)

9 minutes ago, KnutG said:

You're right. Nethertheless you can search new content with a magnifying glass. And languages like geman or french was untouched. And mor than a half year development - thats speaks for itself... :)

Localization is a huge effort, Squad's staff is now pretty small, the economic payoff is tempered by the fact that many of those likely to play KSP already know how to speak English, and you're complaining that they didn't localize to even more languages?

Squad does not have the resources of an AAA game studio, and your expectations of their output should be tempered to that.

In earlyer times of KSP Development every update comes with nice new content AND every update came with a perfect funny Kerbal Cinematic. Today the update comes without new content - without Trailer - not even a test with Scott Manley - and thats speaks for itself ...

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

Hi,

anybody playing 1.3 on linux (preferably debian stretch no steam), unmodded or slightly moddod ? Is it running stable ?

cheers

gb

It is running stable for me, but I can't still make localisation library to work properly. I had some strange problems after trying to get it work by installing different versions of C++ libraries, but it was easily diagnosed by reading Player.log.