Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DirkLarien said:

Please stop developing the game. Let us play it, please.

You know, even if you got the game through Steam, you can just copy your game directory elsewhere and you can keep playing it without further updates as long as you like.

If you got it through any other avenue, nothing will auto-update without your say-so, so you can ignore future updates as long as you like.

15 hours ago, Terwin said:

You know, even if you got the game through Steam, you can just copy your game directory elsewhere and you can keep playing it without further updates as long as you like.

If you got it through any other avenue, nothing will auto-update without your say-so, so you can ignore future updates as long as you like.

:/ too bad the moders always play catch up with patches. While at the same time trying to fix issues in their creations.

Imagine using more then few mods. You stay on certain version and it just so happens that one of the essential mods you really like skipped your particular version.

Well now you have to update anyway, but since moders do this in their spare time. It takes a lot of time dedicated to fixing all the issues presented in new version.

Eventually like it happened many times before, these moders might get tired of it, give up and simply move on.

This happened before, you might not remember it (judging by your profile) or you perhaps not use mods.

Squad made something amazing. And very creative community grew around it. Yet after release they don’t want their child to go its own way.

3 hours ago, DirkLarien said:

:/ too bad the moders always play catch up with patches. While at the same time trying to fix issues in their creations.

Imagine using more then few mods. You stay on certain version and it just so happens that one of the essential mods you really like skipped your particular version.

Well now you have to update anyway, but since moders do this in their spare time. It takes a lot of time dedicated to fixing all the issues presented in new version.

Eventually like it happened many times before, these moders might get tired of it, give up and simply move on.

This happened before, you might not remember it (judging by your profile) or you perhaps not use mods.

Squad made something amazing. And very creative community grew around it. Yet after release they don’t want their child to go its own way.

I think it is more that they do not yet consider it complete.

In any case, there is nothing preventing you from using the last version where all of your preferred mods are working(even with bugs).  You just change your personal update schedule so that you only update after all of your preferred mods are available on a newer release.

Admittedly I am not using very many mods(only about 30 so far in my 1.3.1 game), but a big part of that is trying different combinations.(my last major game I also had KR&D and atomic engines, but this time I thought I would try with primarily stock engines + Near future tech on top of my core USI, KER, KAC, Scansat et al)

(I was actually planning to use Interstellar, but looking at it I got a bit intimidated and decided to start a little slower with NFT)

I am also willing to play without mods as needed(such as early release and before my preferred mods are updated), which reminds me of the stock versions of my preferred mods already in the game(such as the burn count-downs in the tracking center which is a less intrusive/feature rich alternative to KAC).  Admittedly that leads to scenarios where a LKO rescue mission swings past the Mun for an exploration contract because I misjudged the amount of dV I was loading into it, but that just helps me appreciate my favorite mods all the more once I have them again.

21 hours ago, Terwin said:

I think it is more that they do not yet consider it complete.

In any case, there is nothing preventing you from using the last version where all of your preferred mods are working(even with bugs).  You just change your personal update schedule so that you only update after all of your preferred mods are available on a newer release.

Admittedly I am not using very many mods(only about 30 so far in my 1.3.1 game), but a big part of that is trying different combinations.(my last major game I also had KR&D and atomic engines, but this time I thought I would try with primarily stock engines + Near future tech on top of my core USI, KER, KAC, Scansat et al)

(I was actually planning to use Interstellar, but looking at it I got a bit intimidated and decided to start a little slower with NFT)

I am also willing to play without mods as needed(such as early release and before my preferred mods are updated), which reminds me of the stock versions of my preferred mods already in the game(such as the burn count-downs in the tracking center which is a less intrusive/feature rich alternative to KAC).  Admittedly that leads to scenarios where a LKO rescue mission swings past the Mun for an exploration contract because I misjudged the amount of dV I was loading into it, but that just helps me appreciate my favorite mods all the more once I have them again.

It is a shame because it is more complete then most other games i played in years.

Squad is shining beacon of perfection among unfinished and bugged up software that is being called "released" these days. 

I think they done stellar job, but in my opinion starting to overdo it.

Oh i can do away with some of the mods, but there are those i simply cant work withou. Like : Infernal robotics + sequencer, B9, RCS build aid, Ker.Foundries, KIS, KAS, Realchute, and some basic essentials like you mentioned.

I believe that moders are massive part of KSP's  success.

If Squad wants to do more with KSP so badly, why not do bigger expansion packs? Instead of making new patch every few months?

This way they can even sell it. I will gladly pay for big expansion!

Current state is not only non-lucrative for them, it is annoyance for us.

Way of bigger expansions is win win situations for both parties. ..... ok they loose some of the spotlight in the process i admit....but it was niche game from the get go anyway.

Folks who play it don’t just stop..... there is no end game to KSP.....you live it :-D

On 29.10.2017 at 3:43 PM, DirkLarien said:

If Squad wants to do more with KSP so badly, why not do bigger expansion packs? Instead of making new patch every few months?

You need to read other threads in this forum too.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/157802-ksp-making-history/

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/158726-ksp-making-history-grand-discussion-thread/

On 10/31/2017 at 7:07 AM, monophonic said:

....so I've heard.

What does that change on the point, that Squad are still patching the game by small backwards incompatible increments ?

Just firing up my (HEAVILY!) modded KSP install after many months (years?). Looks like I've got 1.1.3.1289.

Last time I was active on this board, there was a major update impending and I was pretty certain it would break many of my mods until they were adapted. I was also a bit burnt out on my career playthrough (stopped off wrestling with highly inclined asteroid).

So that is where I am. Where is the game now? still 1.3? Did a lot of mods stay unupdated?

Cannot recall if there is a console mode to spit out a list of mods that are running?

9-fZc.jpg

Just now, Diche Bach said:

Just firing up my (HEAVILY!) modded KSP install after many months (years?). Looks like I've got 1.1.3.1289.

Last time I was active on this board, there was a major update impending and I was pretty certain it would break many of my mods until they were adapted. I was also a bit burnt out on my career playthrough (stopped off wrestling with highly inclined asteroid).

So that is where I am. Where is the game now? still 1.3? Did a lot of mods stay unupdated?

Cannot recall if there is a console mode to spit out a list of mods that are running?

9-fZc.jpg

1.3.1 is current ....it looked promising on 1.3.0 most mods worked even though with some voodoo involved :-)

.... and then they patched it 1.3.1 which broke it all again. :-/

careful with USI it can brake your save ! (since kerbals have stats with it)

I recommend making a copy of your whole KSP directory and just try it, you ll see.

If it does not work. You have your backup.

12 hours ago, Diche Bach said:

Well, amazingly, my modded and updated install seems to be working fine! I'll probably play a bit and then delete my backup copy that is still at the older version.

Not sure I'd do that unless you're really pressed for space. You may want those older copies someday. Either for nostalgia, or because you run into something in the newer versions that you can't stand and want things back to the way they were. It's good to have options.

I'm down to 58GB left (~56 ish anyway) on my 1TB drive. I've got another drive in a box around here somewhere (bought it before I moved back in 2014 and have never dug it out).

However, I dislike doing hardware installation (yes, that is right I just referred to plugging in and slaving another HDD as "hardware installation"  ;.; :wimp:). I archived the whole directory and deleted the voluminous version so I do have it to fall back on.

If I ever do install that extra HDD, the concept of how do I split my existing junk into two HDD is one of the main puzzles that adds inertia to my motivation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

am also happy that I have kept copies of 1.2.2 and 1.3 , and I''l switched yesterday  back to 1.3, as there still too many construction sites in 1.3.1 & mods and I couldn't continue playing.

It's an excellent idea to make copies of the different versions.

Joe

---------------------------------------------------------------

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

(Richard P. Feynman)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...