Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, monophonic said:

Now whether that releases affects mods or how much, whether it will be a 1.3.x or 1.4 or another version system entirely is anybody's guess. But the devs obviously care about the game so I think they will try to slip in as many core bug fixes as possible.

Your word in god's (Squares) ears:wink:

Urses 

19 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I believe that has been stated.  Could be wrong.

Even if the expected hooks are already in place, there's no guarantee they won't discover a need for more.  Added API interfaces just mean a recompile though.  The larger delays come when existing methods and so on get changed.

I think this is not the apprioritate section, but can you tell me if there is a game where you can design only the parts of the rockets or the engine? If this is the wrong section, tell me where can I write this.

KSC, we have a problem

Go ahead Untitled Spaceship Three

Minmus is peeling away. I repeat Minmus is peeling away

(laughs in the background) Stop fooling around Jeb!

I'm not fooling around, I'm not fooling around. Trying to land on the empty ground...

XzTRHKP.png

(Ship goes boom)

Oh well, let's just wait for 1.3.1

15 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

As far as I know, the terrain peeling also happens in the stock game

No, MarkusA380 checked for you.  He resolved the problem by removing the 1.2-compatible version of Scatterer

As far as I know, the sun exploded 7 minutes ago; we'll find out in a minute.

2 hours ago, rnramos said:

I think this is not the apprioritate section, but can you tell me if there is a game where you can design only the parts of the rockets or the engine? If this is the wrong section, tell me where can I write this.

Dude, this is completely the wrong section and thread.  You're so far off base that it's like the guy in Band of Brothers who is looking for the Battalion HQ in the middle of a fire fight.  The soldiers have no clue what he's doing there, and then he get's shot in the head.

Be very careful, or you may get shot in the head. 

3 hours ago, rnramos said:

KSP Discussion or  Add On Discussions might be better.

10 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Dude, this is completely the wrong section and thread.  You're so far off base that it's like the guy in Band of Brothers who is looking for the Battalion HQ in the middle of a fire fight.  The soldiers have no clue what he's doing there, and then he get's shot in the head.

Be very careful, or you may get shot in the head. 

Hardly necessary IMHO. Simply telling him/her where to post is far better.

Edited by GDJ

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

It was a joke.  Chill. 

Perhaps emoticons would be better in the future to portray the emotional intent of what you posted, in order to avoid misunderstandings and Moderator participation

Comprenez-vous?

Just now, GDJ said:

Perhaps emoticons would be better in the future to portray the emotional intent of what you posted, in order to avoid misunderstandings and Moderator participation

Comprenez-vous?

Yes, an emoticon will guarantee that someone who has no sense of satire would completely understand the intent of the post.   Here's an emoticon to you know that was satire too:  :rep:.  Did that help?   No?  Figured.  And please don't edit a post where you've been responded to, it's just bad form.

And mods, go ahead and delete this entire line of conversation, as it is completely detracting from the OP.  Thanks.  

I have a love/hate relationship with updates. I enjoy seeing new features but I really enjoy my mods. With each update I find it takes mods around 2-4 weeks to catch up. There should be a better way. How many mods have been lost purely due to a developer not having time or motivation to update their mod again?

If the mod has a permissive license, you can always fix it yourself, preferably sending a pull request or similar to the original modmaker so they can add the fix to the main repository.

Otherwise, there really is no "better way"; each KSP update can and often will change the API, and at the very least, you need to recompile the mod against the new binaries.

17 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

I hope this suggestion isn't entirely out of line here...

Most KSP mods needing updates are hosted publicly on Github (check their source code links to be sure). That means you can download the code, fix it yourself, and submit what's called a "pull request" to have your fixes incorporated into the main repository, thus potentially speeding up the update process by giving the author a head start on creating a version that compiles and runs. It's not the easiest thing to do, but if you know any programming or are patient and willing to learn, there's never a better time than the present to try. Then later when you have that brilliant idea for a brand new mod, you'll already have some experience of how it works. And in the meantime you'll have a better understanding of the sorts of obstacles that keep your favorite mods from being available now, now, now.

For real? You want me to fix 60+ mods. Has it occurred to to you that not everyone is technical enough to do this? Some mods come with DLLs and complex config file.

13 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

For real? You want me to fix 60+ mods.

No. I am hoping that possibly a few new people who don't find the suggestion insulting might dip their toe in and try to fix one or two.

Has it occurred to to you that not everyone is technical enough to do this?

Yes, obviously.

Some mods come with DLLs and complex config file.

unless you play only stock... don't upgrade until your mods catch up... i haven't seen so many mods fall apart so badly since "...since Olaf the Hairy, High Chief of all the Vikings, accidentally ordered eighty thousand battle helmets with the horns on the inside."

18 minutes ago, pp3d said:

unless you play only stock... don't upgrade until your mods catch up... i haven't seen so many mods fall apart so badly since "...since Olaf the Hairy, High Chief of all the Vikings, accidentally ordered eighty thousand battle helmets with the horns on the inside."

Really?  This is par for the course for an update.