Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

37 minutes ago, KnutG said:

In earlyer times of KSP Development every update comes with nice new content AND every update came with a perfect funny Kerbal Cinematic. Today the update comes without new content - without Trailer - not even a test with Scott Manley - and thats speaks for itself ...

It's almost like the game is close to finished.  Do you expect free updates forever?  I would expect mostly paid DLC from here on.  ...and I don't think that's a bad thing.

15 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

It's almost like the game is close to finished.  Do you expect free updates forever?  I would expect mostly paid DLC from here on.  ...and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Ok there are Squad idolizers where no one can say a critical word - and there are normal people with they one can discuss. Nethertheless - the KSP main dev time is gone - now they should say its finish and nothing more comes beside DLCs , but they developed the game and i expect content - yes. (I also will try the DLC and hope this will be fine)

Earlyer Squad has promised so many things - if I will wait until all is in the game then actual is in Beta Phase:

&image=e1dec5a13fea51f8a76a11c737441b9b1

Edited by KnutG
extension

6 minutes ago, KnutG said:

...now they should say its finish and nothing more comes beside DLCs...

Unfortunately, Squad's love of NDAs keeps the future vague and unknowable.  Best to just read the dev notes and not make to many baseless assumptions.  That being said, all we really know that's coming is the DLC.  So, that's all I'll expect.

1 hour ago, KnutG said:

and there are normal people with they one can discuss.

That is an extraordinarily rude accusation to hurl at somebody who simply disagrees with the assertion that they should have had everything in your specific wishlist taken care of in 1.3.

I mean, I wish they'd added articulating parts similar to Infernal Robotics, made some rescaled heightmaps for upscaled systems, rationalized and rebalanced their parts, etc, but I can at least recognize what's never going to happen (rescaled heightmaps), what's probably economically infeasible (adding robotic parts), and what they might be able to get around to when Squad's tiny remaining staff has the time (rebalancing parts).

There are a large number of things that the players want Squad to do.

There are a smaller number of things Squad wants to do.

There are even fewer things Squad can reasonably do.

There are even fewer things that they can do that might also make Squad (a business) additional profit.

From there, Squad must prioritize features based not only on how much players want them, but also whether they have any expertise in the matter, whether it will bring them additional money, and whether it will cause them headaches keeping it maintained down the line.

Turns out, what they prioritized this time was localization to new languages (potentially bringing in many new customers) and squashing a number of bugs. Better luck next time, maybe they'll address things on your wishlist.

17 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

That is an extraordinarily rude accusation

I never wrote that someone is unnormal - maybe this is a misunderstanding of my wrong english - With your other points you are right. I hope no one will be angry if he read my posts or feels like 

pitchforks.gif

The only thing that I will say is that KSP is a nice game in a early beta phase and we must life with this. In my dreams the promises from the original Squad team comes reality - like moving and interacting in IVA or Observatory or more planets / moons.

I have always a good time with the game but its not finished. And many people here can have another meaning - Nevertheless, with my 1000 hours of playtime I think I have the right to say some critical stuff here.

So let´s looking forward to the DLCs or KSP V2 ...

Edited by KnutG

Oh well, i'd be happy if 1.3 would just run, i don't mean flawlessly, just run. Of course i am aware that others do play the game just fine with a lot of mods and have no reasons for complaints.

As far as i am concerned, i think that programs producing segfaults or nullpointer exceptions aren't exactly well behaved and taking a look in the support forums here there apparently hasn't been much of a change with 1.3.

Facts are, and in that i can understand @KnutG: there hasn't been much new visible  /playable stuff since 0.90, but i think behind the scenes much was done (multithreading e.g.). There was a huge effort with extraordinary manpower from the community a few subreleases ago just to make ksp stable because what was delivered before just wasn't playable or maintainable.

KSP stays interesting as a game mainly because of the great modder community. I must admit i haven't played much since 1.0.5 because of instabilities and poor gameplay (wheels !) and also because i was a little overfed with starting rockets and setting manoeuver nodes over and again, but i was looking forward to a new game with 1.3, hoping for a fix of the wheels etc. pp.

But apparently that will not take place ...

Edit: what i do not want to read is something like "Unity is to blame !" or "Mono is the culprit !". The developers have chosen their tools and are responsible for working with them. I would even think that an own graphics framework and physics routines would make maintenance cheaper and the code more reliable than the use of stack of doubtable tools, but i am only a dumb user.

Edited by Green Baron

10 minutes ago, KnutG said:

The only thing that I will say is that KSP is a nice game in a early beta phase and we must life with this. In my dreams the promises from the original Squad team comes reality - like moving and interacting in IVA or Observatory or more planets / moons.

I have always a good time with the game but its not finished. And many people here can have another meaning - Nevertheless, with my 1000 hours of playtime I think I have the right to say some critical stuff here.

So let´s looking forward to the DLCs or KSP V2 ...

I never liked the “original promise” from Squad (We won't charge for any updates ever)  which, despite current weaseling, could not possibly be interpreted as “except for DLC” because it meant that the funding for KSP would be limited and thus development would be limited.

And while a bit uncool that they're backtracking from this promise, it’s understandable from a business perspective, and I don’t think it’s a big deal. Let's assume that you paid the full price, $40, for the game. That means you've been playing the game for less than a nickel (5 cents) per hour. That's an incredible value. “But it was not in a finished state.” Well, apparently, it’s been in a state good enough to play it for 1,000 hours...

I’d rather have Squad backtracking on an unrealistic promise (“pay $10 for the game and we won’t charge you for any future upgrades, ever”) than hearing that “development is no longer sustainable. It was a good ride. Take care, y’all

And out of all the prolonged-income models, DLC is far from the worst. Because the DLC will only keep on selling if it's worth it. That's much better than a subscription model or in-game micro payments where you have to pay, per save of course, for unlocking planets or science.

So yes, let’s look forward for more DLC's, and continued KSP development.

3 hours ago, KnutG said:

In earlyer times of KSP Development every update comes with nice new content AND every update came with a perfect funny Kerbal Cinematic. Today the update comes without new content - without Trailer - not even a test with Scott Manley - and thats speaks for itself ...

Yeah, actually I was waiting for a new cinematic to share in some of my acquaintances Facebook. I guess the old 1.0 cinematic would have to do, but it's a bit weird considering that the localization effort was made in order to boost sales. True, all the cinematics are language neutral, but it would be cool to have something nice advertising "now in your language"

On 27.05.2017 at 11:59 AM, Aelfhe1m said:

In Steam right click on KSP and select properties then go to the language tab.

After you change a language Steam will then download the localised files for that language. If this doesn't seem to be happening then you can go to the "local files" tab and try verifying integrity.

Thanks! Its back to English now

I'm having some issues with crashing in 1.3 on boot up, just wondering if anyone else is having issues or if I just need to revert 1.2.2 and wait it out?

seems to be a mod issue, just wondering if any are particularly note worthy to avoid for now?

on a different note the Spanish localisation is great! (Well as far as my limited understanding goes!) good going @SQUAD for making the game more accessible!

Edited by Kertech

6 minutes ago, Kertech said:

I'm having some issues with crashing in 1.3 on boot up, just wondering if anyone else is having issues or if I just need to revert 1.2.2 and wait it out?

Possible - likely - culprit will be as a result of upgrading an earlier modded install.

Earlier ModuleManager.dll versions - installed in the root of your /GameData folder have been mentioned a few times as being particularly fighty.

Edited by MiniMatt

6 minutes ago, Kertech said:

seems to be a mod issue

Give it time and most if not all of your favorite mods will be updated.  Right now, those complaining about crashes while still using outdated mods are just creating a lot of false positives for Squad in the "game crashes" department.

Anybody up for a guess how many hotfix patches it will take this time around??

The record is not too bad, though, there were always less patches since 1.0 (when it was deemed out of beta). We had 1.0.5, 1.1.3, 1.2.2, so maybe 1.3.1 will be the definite patch this time?

3 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Give it time and most if not all of your favorite mods will be updated.  Right now, those complaining about crashes while still using outdated mods are just creating a lot of false positives for Squad in the "game crashes" department.

While what you say is absolutely true, i must add that most complaints about crashes are actually plain vanilla ksp or ksp with correctly updated mods. The cases with uncorrectly or not updated mods are usually solved immediately on the forum.

Yeah I've gone back and reinstalled and found issues with a number of mods (some updated some not) the issue loading issue always occurs just as module manager attempts to close, more details are available on the mm post so I'll just leave this here

5 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Yeah, actually I was waiting for a new cinematic to share in some of my acquaintances Facebook. I guess the old 1.0 cinematic would have to do, but it's a bit weird considering that the localization effort was made in order to boost sales. True, all the cinematics are language neutral, but it would be cool to have something nice advertising "now in your language"

Just because they haven't been brought to you on a silver platter doesn't mean they're not out there  :wink: 

26 minutes ago, Maschbauer said:

But why the hell did you included japanese, chinese, and russian, but not German? I´m pretty sure there are more german players than japanese!

Each of those countries has >50% more population that Germany, so I'd say that is pretty unlikely.

5 hours ago, KnutG said:

I never wrote that someone is unnormal - maybe this is a misunderstanding of my wrong english - With your other points you are right. I hope no one will be angry if he read my posts or feels like 

It doesn't matter what the specific language was; none of the words used were particularly mean.

The intent of your message, however, was "I don't think Starman4308 can hold a rational discussion because he's too much of a fanboy, as well as everybody else who's trying to argue the point of Squad's limited resources should inform limited expectations."

It doesn't matter how you say it when what you say is an unfounded insult. Kindly refrain from insinuating that anybody who disagrees with you is a raging, unreasonable fanboy.

44 minutes ago, Maschbauer said:

But why the hell did you included japanese, chinese, and russian, but not German? I´m pretty sure there are more german players than japanese!

I'd like to see the research that you're basing this on. 

9 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Each of those countries has >50% more population that Germany, so I'd say that is pretty unlikely.

German speakers also have frighteningly high rates of English fluency. I agree a translation to the primary language of Herr Oberth und Herr von Braun would be historically appealing, but the case for leaving it out of the first round is strong.

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Not to mention that all 3 of them have their own national space program. We haven't seen Chinese parts yet within the Making History expansion pack, but they have been mentioned in the very first announcement. I wouldn't be surprised at all if both China and Japan will be part of Making History.

The German language has merit from an enginering part of view, but I can imagine it's not considered an world language like Spanish does. I think at least French and Portuguese will be the next languages that will be included within KSP, because those will bring another billion people to KSP in their native language.

Fired up 1.3 for a bit last night.

Everything seems good. Much easier to read and the seams are gone.

Almost all of my mods are updated already.

The only thing in jeopardy is my partially constructed Duna base with MKS/OKS in 1.2.2

Tempting to restart but I've never landed this much hardware on a body outside of Kerbin SOI before.

But landing them was awfully innacurate, so I think I'll flip a coin!