Hitting tab to change targets question

Sometimes it's tricky. There are many ways, actually -- and it depends a bit on which mode you are in, and how far in/out you have the camera zoomed. Closing the map and then reopening it can do it. Doubleclicking on Kerbin can do it.

The keybinding to reset the camera focus in map view can be set in the main settings menu when you first start up the game.

Go to Settings - Input (on the left) - Game (at the top) then look under the category called "Camera" you should see an entry for "Camera Reset".

I believe the default key to reset the camera focus to the ship you are controlling is the back quote (or single quote) that's between your Semicolon key and the Enter key (edited to correct my mistake: NOT the one by the Enter key. It is this one ` under the Esc key. Thanks to @FullMetalMachinist)

I have this function reassigned to the Backspace key and cleared the assignment for Abort since it's easy to click the abort icon in the flight view.

By default you should be able to step backwards through the focused bodies in map view by holding Left Shift then Tab. Be careful to leave the NavBall hidden when you do this or you will throttle your engines.

Edited by HvP

1 minute ago, HvP said:

I believe the default key to reset the camera focus to the ship you are controlling is the back quote (or single quote) that's between your Semicolon key and the Enter key. Looks like this '

Close, but not quite. The default is indeed the back quote key, but it's not the one by the enter key. It's the one to the left of the 1 key, also has the tilde (~) on it. The difference is subtle, but it's there. 

Single quote: ' 

Back quote: `

9 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Close, but not quite. The default is indeed the back quote key, but it's not the one by the enter key. It's the one to the left of the 1 key, also has the tilde (~) on it. The difference is subtle, but it's there. 

Single quote: ' 

Back quote: `

Huh, would you believe that I've never noticed the difference between the two before? I stand corrected, thank you. I'll amend my answer.

4 hours ago, jonpfl said:

Tried using google but I couldn't find a way to go back to Kerbin without cycling through hitting <tab>.  Is there an easier way?

Map mode, double click the sun, press TAB four(4) times...:P

Ok you might also know about pressing Shift+TAB. It switches focus backwards(from kerbin, to gilly, to eve, to moho, etc.)
Caution! : Shift is also the default "throttle up" key !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.