[1.9.x] Release: Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts Rebuilt & Expanded

About a year ago, an amazing user, @RaginCaucasian released a mod for 2.5m spaceplane parts.  Unfortunately, he left, and the mod languished.  With his permission (he changed the license at my request) and all the original assets, I'm happy to announce that I'm reviving this mod.  The original thread is here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/131513-105-mk25-spaceplane-parts/

I must express my great appreciation to @CarnageINC for his assistance with recalculating the volumes and masses.

pnZF4zN.png

This is a parts pack of 2.5m spaceplane parts with a flat bottom, possessing a bit of aerodynamic lift.

Download:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Mk2.5_Spaceplane_Parts/releases

Sourcehttps://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Mk2.5_Spaceplane_Parts

Now available in CKAN

License: MIT

Some of the example ships have some parts from Munar Industries, available here:

There is an optional patch to slightly adjust the masses of the tanks to a more realistic mass.

@RaginCaucasian was kind enough to send me all the modeling assets.  There are Blender files for an unfinished part for the Engine Mounting Plate, I would be very interested if someone would take a little time and finish it.  It would also be nice to see if someone could make the following parts:

• Mk. 2.5 - Mk. 3 Adapter
  • 1.25m to Mk 2.5 Adapter
  • Cargo Ramp

Dependencies

Thanks to @wile1411 for the following picture:

8PZCy9R.png

Part List

Spoiler

Parts:

• Cockpit
  • Structural Fuselage
    • Large: LFO, LF, Structural
    • Medium: LFO, LF, Monoprop, Structural
    • Small: Probe Core, Monoprop, Structural
  • Cargo Bay
  • Crew Cabin
  • Mk. 2.5 - 2.5m (round) Adapter
  • Nosecone (x-37b style)

New Parts (these are stock parts resized to match the rest of this mod):

• Mini-S Delta Wing
  • Mini-S Delta Wing 2x
  • Mini-S Delta Wing 3x
  • BigS Delta Wing 2x
  • BigS Delta Wing 3x
  • Mini-S Elevon 1
  • Mini-S Elevon 2
  • Mini-S Spaceplane Tail Fin
  • Mini-S Wing Strake

If you're interested in using the Mk2.5 Specification, you can use this drawing:

Spoiler

Ze1LPJJ.png

Check out this video from Kottabos

Edited by linuxgurugamer

As I stated in the Munar Industries mod release from linuxgurugamer, the optional patch to change the masses of the parts is based off actual tank volume, surface areas and mathematical calculations.  The 8:1 is accurate only with stock cylinder tanks, all other tanks shapes do not conform to that ratio.  Using the optional patch actually gets most of these tanks closer to a 'stockalike' mass than the ratio will.

Thank you @linuxgurugamer for letting me work on these wonderful mods with you!

Edited by CarnageINC

I'm not too fond of the 2.5.

Maybe Mk2-5 or Mk2C (for cargo) would be good names for it.  (Come to think of it, I really like the term Mk2C).

These are suppose to be like mini Mk3 parts, right?

@linuxgurugamerI made a set of 20 t gear for the challenge, stock gear has gap there and these parts seemed to want to end up there every time. Besides that the sizes were just all wrong. I don't have github set up yet shall I pm the configs? I also have a resized AV8 you could use but it is in the form of a MM patch, I note you chose not to use MM for your resized parts.

I really do think you should get in touch with @SuicidalInsanity and be the Facilitator in this case. The whole time I was building my shuttle I kept mixing up his parts, if it wasn't for the paint and dated configs I'd swear it was his. He could really help polish this mod if he has the time and inclination.

Issues:

The IVA's were messed up for me, lights did not work, symmetry on the side tanks was backwards set for radial, not mirror.

Also wanted to ask about tweakscale and module manager, both could be used to trim this mod down dramatically.and it seems to be lacking connected living space or  any other mod support really. any plans?

1 hour ago, snkiz said:

@linuxgurugamerI made a set of 20 t gear for the challenge, stock gear has gap there and these parts seemed to want to end up there every time. Besides that the sizes were just all wrong. I don't have github set up yet shall I pm the configs? I also have a resized AV8 you could use but it is in the form of a MM patch, I note you chose not to use MM for your resized parts.

I really do think you should get in touch with @SuicidalInsanity and be the Facilitator in this case. The whole time I was building my shuttle I kept mixing up his parts, if it wasn't for the paint and dated configs I'd swear it was his. He could really help polish this mod if he has the time and inclination.

Issues:

The IVA's were messed up for me, lights did not work, symmetry on the side tanks was backwards set for radial, not mirror.

Also wanted to ask about tweakscale and module manager, both could be used to trim this mod down dramatically.and it seems to be lacking connected living space or  any other mod support really. any plans?

Yes, I'd love to get those new gear, just PM them to me and I'll add them

I assume you are referring to his mk2 part mod?

Re. the IVA's, I'm going to assume you need RPM installed for them.  I'll check it out, I rarely use IVAs, so didn't see this.

Can you elaborate on the symmetry issue?  Which tanks, and pics if you can

There is already a cfg there for Tweakscale, all you need to do is install Tweakscale

I figured RPM was involved, I don't use it, to much memory to little gain. But the place holders worked I guess, I don't really know how they are supposed to work. No my issue was when I went EVA and came back, the kerbals portrait would be greyed out, buttons gone. I have portrait stats and I'm trying 1.3 so that could be to blame but this is the first time I've seen that. The symmetry issue was actually with the munar side tanks, It boils down to, if you try to stack them and place them with mirror symmetry (SPH default) on one side all the tanks but the first one will be backwards. If you use Radial symmetry (VAB default) all is good but useless in the SPH. I've seen a few parts do this, (DK's parts are worse but unstandable.) but for saddle tanks its super frustrating.

Twekscale wasn't my main concern, just the first thing that poped in my head. Really its how the mod is built, its strange. There is one shared texture for a group of parts and multiple models for the variations for what is essentially the same part. For example the fuel tanks are all the same just colored differently, isn't that the kind of thing firespitter is for? Back to the Mk2/3 stuff, that mod has one mesh and multiple textures for tanks to switch from MP or LFO or whatever. really it just changes the colour of the accent line on the tank.

I specifically mentioned connected living space because the crew cabin and drone core just liquided me off, such a waste of space. I built a hollow RW core and docking setup for the challenge, and was mad I couldn't do it with 2.5 parts. The crew cabin only holds 4 kerbals, thats a lot of extra room, the docking rig from the mk1 cockpit would fit nicely, and you could hollow out a bottom quarter for storage. The drone core was just stupid, the rig I built for the challenge was way more useful and empty the MP tanks it was lighter. I chalk all of that up to this being a very old mod. The cabin idea would need heavy lifting to do what I want, but most of the other things aren't to bad if your set up for modding. If you want any help with configs I can do that, just point me in a direction. send those gears via pm now, Please read over them before you use them, I screwed them up twice trying to make them.

I am summoned?

On 5/26/2017 at 6:33 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

It would also be nice to see if someone could make the following parts:

• Mk. 2.5 - Mk. 3 Adapter
  • 1.25m to Mk 2.5 Adapter
  • Cargo Ramp

Easy.
tWvdiHU.png
It's late and I need to get to sleep, so texturing will have to wait until tomorrow.

4 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

I am summoned?

Easy.
tWvdiHU.png
It's late and I need to get to sleep, so texturing will have to wait until tomorrow.

This is great!!

Someone else has also volunteered and has gotten me some parts, but these are different enough to be worth including both.

Eagerly waiting for the finished parts

wow I wasn't expecting that, Thank you @SuicidalInsanity I just figured @linuxgurugamer Has an awful lot on his plate. I thought you'd be the right person to ask, I would request you do an art pass on it aswell but I'm just a user, y'all do what you think is best.

@linuxgurugamer pictures as requested, oh and I noticed the cargo bay is in utility instead of payload. Is there a bug tracker for this on github?

tank issue

Spoiler

9krqlsd.png

My Cabin idea.. sort of

Spoiler

EL5nEVL.png

Its using the mk1 cockpit just for the docking control. If the door on top was moved forward a bit there'd be room for a docking port to. Under that a recessed bay with a door. Four kerbals fit comfortably in a mk2 cabin so this thing has gobs of extra space the way I figure.

I'd would love it if the drone core was redone to be hollow as well . Maybe with an RW in the middle or something kinda like the mk2/3 reaction control units.

Bug tracker here:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ModularFuelTankExpansion/issues

3 minutes ago, snkiz said:

@linuxgurugamer pictures as requested, oh and I noticed the cargo bay is in utility instead of payload. Is there a bug tracker for this on github?

I'll take care of this, no need to add a report on it.

Oh, and I've removed the name from the cabin.  I need to see if I can use TextureReplacer to put it back 

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh, and I've removed the name from the cabin.  I need to see if I can use TextureReplacer to put it back

I don't remember which mod But I have seen one that you can change the name on the shuttle with fstexture I think.

New release, 1.4.1:

• Out of beta, full release
  • All changes in this new release:
    • Fixed typos where bulkheadProfiles was mispelled
    • Set all sizes to mk2 instead of size25
    • Updated fuel amounts and masses of fuel tanks
    • Added license per @RaginCaucasian's update on the forums
    • Recomputed all the volumes, fuel amounts and masses of the parts
    • Added best vessels submitted in the weekly challenge
    • Many new parts, adapters, docking port, wheels

Many thanks, @linuxgurugamer!

One little question

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Set all sizes to mk2 instead of size25

What does this mean, what's the difference?

(Also take a look to OP):

This is a BETA release, please let me know of any problems.

Edited by Aerospacer

4 hours ago, Aerospacer said:
16 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Set all sizes to mk2 instead of size25

What does this mean, what's the difference?

It has to do with the way parts are sorted in the editor list

18 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

No cabin or cockpit lights.

It's using a stock IVA for the Mk 3 cabin.  Check the Mk3, see how it looks

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome mod love the 2.5 space plane parts & I like the little version of the Vector engine.Would be cool to see airospike parts & parts to resemble the X33 Venture star & X30 NASP these aircraft all ways fascinated me & I would love a to fly a Kerbal Stock alike Analog these would fit with your Flat bottom stock alike style mod I think.

Image result for x30 nasp

Image result for x30 nasp

Image result for x 33 venturestar

Related image

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.