KSP Weekly: We have a way with words

SQUAD

27 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

That is incorrect.  

Would it be correct to say, much as with the inline docking port, that the docking end doesn't become active until the part has completed it's animation and is fully extended.

16 hours ago, SQUAD said:

For a long time, we had been receiving innumerable requests from non-english speakers to localize the game in their language and being able to comply gives us lots of satisfaction.

Haters gonna hate but this was a really good step for the game. Good job.

We also worked on performance to mitigate the impact of the localization processing and, naturally, preparing for and doing all the release work, which is no small deed.

Performance improvements are always welcome.

There’s also been further work on the CelestialBody interaction in the Mission Builder, and we thought we should clarify that a bit after last weeks comments. Part of mission planning can involve interactions with a planet - eg. placing a target for landing, selecting biomes, (and a few others, but hey we can’t let all the mysteries out of the bag) - this work gives the Mission Creator the ability to build their mission for these items interacting with the planet visually. Hopefully that explains this a bit better.

Told you so.

Development wise, will Squad's full focus now shift towards the expansion? Or are we going to continue seeing base game updates and expansion work being developed in parallel, as it was with v1.3?

(I'm fine with either way, I'm just curious to know.)

1 hour ago, regex said:

Haters gonna hate but this was a really good step for the game. Good job.

Performance improvements are always welcome.

:)

1 hour ago, regex said:

Told you so.

:(

6 hours ago, RoverDude said:

14 hours ago, genbrien said:

is there a reason gameplay wise to expend/retract it or its just visual?

A bit of both.  There's certainly a case for being able to have a docking port that extends (beyond the range of the inline one we have today), but it also had to work this way to be recognizable as its historic counterpart.

To add on to this - an expanding docking port allows you to get more clearance for docking oddly-shaped craft while remaining compact (no need to fit a bulky, static crew tube under an oversized fairing). There's an example of this already in RoverDude's Malemute mod, where the special docking port fits onto a narrow rover body but expands beyond its wide wheel base, so that rovers can dock together side-by-side.

(The airlock aspect is for historical verisimilitude, it seems; but functionally it's just gravy, since KSP tends to include hatches on all crewable parts and there's no pressure-management mechanic).

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Would it be correct to say, much as with the inline docking port, that the docking end doesn't become active until the part has completed it's animation and is fully extended.

Yep, that is correct.

Oh wow, an expandable port. I can think of so many things to do with that. Cranes for one. Assuming it works that way. By the sounds of it it can be moved with things at both ends. Which could also open a lot of options for pistons and maybe a bearing someday(please) Edit: Nevermind that. I just want a rotating ring with that can warp dangit!

All the parts in this expansion so far look great even if there is an overlap between it and stock with the rover wheels and the apollo pod that looks a lot like a mk1-2. Hopefully the expansions are modifiable so that the parts can be reskinnned for more modern looking craft.

Edited by Spartwo

3 minutes ago, monophonic said:

So we cannot build out from the docking end in VAB either? So no abusing repurposing the airlock to build changing/shapeshifting craft?

Correct.

2 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Oh wow, an expandable port. I can think of so many things to do with that. Cranes for one. Assuming it works that way. By the sounds of it it can be moved with things at both ends. Which could also open a lot of options for pistons and maybe a bearing someday(please)

Not sure where folks keep getting this idea, but no, that is not the case.  Its closest analogue would be the inline docking port.

Edited by RoverDude

10 hours ago, John FX said:

And here we have the entire `devnotes` such as they are for the stock game. This was expected though and is no cause for alarm.

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Development wise, will Squad's full focus now shift towards the expansion? Or are we going to continue seeing base game updates and expansion work being developed in parallel, as it was with v1.3?

(I'm fine with either way, I'm just curious to know.)

I doubt thats the entire devnotes for the core game going forward - I know theres stuff that the rest of the team and I want to fix and enhance still. But please don't take that as a promise for any specific item as whats in the core updates is obviously a business decision - not a development one (says the dev)

17 minutes ago, TriggerAu said:

I doubt thats the entire devnotes for the core game going forward - I know theres stuff that the rest of the team and I want to fix and enhance still. But please don't take that as a promise for any specific item as whats in the core updates is obviously a business decision - not a development one (says the dev)

Yeah, but well - you could first do the expansion and then 1.4, or you could do the expansion and 1.4 side by side. :wink: I didn't mean to express doubt about continued development, I was just wondering about the logistics thereof.

22 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Yeah, but well - you could first do the expansion and then 1.4, or you could do the expansion and 1.4 side by side. :wink: I didn't mean to express doubt about continued development, I was just wondering about the logistics thereof.

didnt read any doubt my friend, just thought those two were sorta related. we'll share more about the dev perspective in the future - I have the startings of a dev blog on some of the bits but times not my friend :P

19 minutes ago, John FX said:

So they don't move? How does that work then? Will they need to be activated to work like antenna?

As people have been saying its like the inline docking port. Instead of referring to an attachment node in the config dockingports like this are pointed to separate node object in the parts mesh. This node object is then animated to move with the rest of the part and only activates when the part is in its deployed state

Edited by passinglurker

3 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

As people have been saying its like the inline docking port. Instead of referring to an attachment node in the config dockingports like this are pointed to separate node object in the parts mesh. This node object is then animated to move with the rest of the part and only activates when the part is in its deployed state

Cool... I was wondering about this :D

Edited by Just Jim

17 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Cool... I was wondering about this :D

Here I even have a visual aid incase anyone is still confused :wink:
Khc2Ppp.png
The invisible bit where the arrows are coming out is the node object I mentioned. Assuming the docking functionally of the voskhod airlock is the same as what we have in stock now then it should work the same way.

3 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

There's definitely something there where the stock parachute used to be:

It's also definitely small enough to have been hiding under the mk16 chute this whole time so yeah clarification is needed

EDIT: also the ambient occlusion around it suggests it's part of the vostok mesh, and not a removable piece

Edited by passinglurker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.