Weekly Aircraft Development Competition

As I was watching a documentary on American military aircraft, a thought struck me: if planes are chosen to be used in competitions, why not do it that way on the forums? So I came up with this. Weekly, I will give out loose specifications and requirements to build planes, and then put all through a assignment to prove it can fulfil its role, and finally put entries for that week in a poll, for people to vote on the best ones. It will work in two parts, the first part being the voting, and the second part being the plane completing an "assignment" I'll prepare a save of. The winner gets a shiny badge I will make in paint, and possibly get to choose the next set of specifications.

Week 1: Light Bomber

Class: Light bomber

You are to design a light bomber designed to be able to fly inter-continental solo missions, with one refuel stop. It should carry at least 4 Radial ore tank bombs, and have at least a crew of 2, with the IVA providing front and back field of view, to spot interceptors or missiles. Rear mounted weapons would be good, but definitely not necessary.

Weight: maximum 35 tons

Speed: at least 200m/s under 10km

Payload: at least 4 full Radial ore tank bombs

Range: at least able to reach the desert continent with one re-fueling stop

Crew: at least one pilot and one bomb-aimer, possibly a gunner, if your plane has a rear gun

Voting poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/13090973

Winner: @NotAnAimbot's RBF-6 Longbow

Week 2: Military Transport

Proving mission and voting poll:

Winner: @Servo's C-120 Meridian

Week 3: Naval Fighter

Proving Mission and Voting Poll:

Winner: @sdj64's FX Falcon

Week 4: Cloud Seeding Plane

Proving Mission and Poll:

Winners: @Speeding Mullet's Mullet Dyne MD-82 Twin Equinox and @Vexnium's A107AH Hinox

Week 5:

Poll:

Winners: @Vexnium's CA179S Mass, @Ozelui's Wasp and @NotAnAimbot's MDL F-2F+ Super Predator

Week 6: Amphibious Aircraft

Poll:

Winner:

Winner: @Vexnium's CA600N Humpback

Week 7: 

Poll:

Winners: @Joseph Kerman's Gilder and @Bob_Saget54's Falcon Mk1

Week 8: Rocket Plane

Poll:

I hope you enter! :)

Edited by MiffedStarfish

I'm curious it this was inspired by my ADC. Also, is BDAc allowed? Thats the only way you could have tail mounted gun.

Edited by Guest

Nice plane! I'll enter that into the poll, and get to work on the assignment. BDac is allowed, but will be in a different category. For the tail mounted gun, I was thinking nothing more than a decouplers with seperatrons attached pointing backwards. As for the challenge, it is slightly inspired by your thread a while back, but I made it a bit more accessible, as yours required mods.

Any mods, but if you use them it will be voted on in a different catergory. You don't have to be good at stock weapons, the main point is the plane. All you need is a radial ore tank on a decoupler. Hope you try it! :)

By the way, the "assignment" will roughly entail flying out to the desert continent, bombing an airfield I'm going to build, then flying back to the KSC, with a refuelling stop positioned somewhere near the desert continent, if needed.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

I haven't tested range or got it on KerbalX yet but here is the...
SM-3 'Kestrel'

It's loosely based off of the F-16 Fighting Falcon, but with the intakes mounted on the wings because it's easier  for simplicity

• Type: Light Supersonic Bomber
  • Top speed (level flight under 2000m): 635m/s, or Mach 1.84 with afterburner, 330m/s or Mach 0.96 without afterburner
  • Good take-off speed/stall speed: ~70m/s
  • Manoeuvrability: Good, but can pull dangerously high Gees (over 20) even when limited
  • Bombs: Unguided, 900kg, 6 total, 3 on each wing
  • Guns: None, relies on speed as a defence
  • Good bombing technique: Dive bombing; bombs are unguided and manoeuvrability is good enough, though a good pilot could perform a safer level bombing
Edited by Skylon
Added more details

Nice! i'm assuming thats modded, because that cockpit dosent look stock. The bombs are fine, it dosent matter if they launch in pairs, as long as theres atleast four. so now there are 2 entries. I'm gonna wait until atleast one other person (hopefully) enters, then put the poll up.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

6 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Nice! i'm assuming thats modded, because that cockpit dosent look stock. The bombs are fine, it dosent matter if they launch in pairs, as long as theres atleast four. so now there are 2 entries. I'm gonna wait until atleast one other person (hopefully) enters, then put the poll up.

Thanks! Yeah, I used Airplane Plus for the cockpit, engine and I think a few of the fuel tanks.

Looking forward to it, the pics have got me excited! I think I'm going to stop new entries, put up the poll and the assignment on Wednesday, giving everyone 3 days to find time for the proving trials, which should be enough. I will then announce the winner on Saturday, with a combination of votes and performance in the trials, and put up the new specifications. 

Edited by MiffedStarfish

My Lockhead U-2 " Kerman Lady " :cool: 

So lets give some insight shall we? :) 

Well first key feature is that this 1:1 scale.

Gliding at 15,000 meters to kill some heat - https://gyazo.com/85b54908928e8172ae8ee7cf7659b575

Before the tanks where dropped (I crashed) - https://gyazo.com/9424fd4c49659d579e80530bd7d26ce0

General view - https://gyazo.com/07e87c3ac6b9800120eca5d582cf8513

Onwards! - https://gyazo.com/2206746c1aee95efa13f3905366e6d1e 

The U-2 "Dragon Lady" was designed to function at a high altitude and be used as a heavy infiltration spy plane, and this does just that, has some of the real life issues too, for instance if the engines cool to much at a high altitude they are hard to control. 

My U-2 has more bells and whistles than the original, so it needs BDA, this is just for its spy gear (Radars & Camera's) comes equip with what ever you want, I favor either hell-fires or cruise missiles. 
Enjoy :) 

Kenji Out! :cool: 

Edited by KenjiKrafts
https://gyazo.com/9424fd4c49659d579e80530bd7d26ce0

Recon Bomber/Fighter RBF-6 "Longbow"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyu586v96o4e9ij/RBF-6B Longbow.craft?dl=0

Spoiler

6TOeL48.png

Cruise speed and altitude, desert continent is on the horizon

Spoiler

nygqNCZ.png

Bombs away while Jebbur Kerman reflects on the ethical implications of dropping ore on sand Kerbals

Spoiler

QBeZNQx.png

View on KSC on the way back

Spoiler

qVm9PC6.png

Nice pic I took while approaching

Spoiler

lwkBs2t.png

Drifting on the runway

Spoiler

2KojRD8.png

Mission F3 screen

Spoiler

ZJjArd0.png

The plane can carry 6 bombs for long-range mission or 8 for short ones, and can reach the desert continent in a single flight while having a third of its fuel left. The bomber sits in the rear seat and can aim bombs visually using a window on the floor.

LlxhWX8.png

Edited by NotAnAimbot

9 hours ago, Skylon said:

Instead of the ore tanks could I use JDAM bombs? 6 of them, weighing 0.46 tons each

Also I'm still on 1.2.2

I'm still on 1.2.0...

5 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

It looks Stock

Yup, entirely stock plane, although the original fighter is modded with BDA

oJw18LU.png

On an entirely unrelated note, the modded version tends to fall apart on launch. Anyone experienced this?

I have added the poll, with all entries. Due to some people voting on the placeholder poll, the BAD-1 shows up as having 1 vote, and the SM-3 kestrel shows up having 4 votes, So I'll subtract them from the amounts at the end. Due to running out of time, there won't be an assignment this week, and the winner will be decided purely by poll. Please don't vote for your own craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.