I think I lost an important file when moving my KSP 1.2.2

KSP Version 1.2.2 64-bit, purchased via Steam, running on Win10,

With KSP V1.3 now out, I moved my saves over to my backup copy of V1.2.2 which I'd made some months back, and set out to play there until mods get updated, the inevitable OOPS HANG ON FOR EMERGENCY PATCH 1.3.1 ... 1.3.2 ... (ETC) insanity ends, and everything stabilizes.  (This has been my habit for several updates now.)  I'd made the backup a while ago, but hadn't really used it beyond starting up and seeing that it seemed to "work".

But now that I actually NEED it, it seems I missed something in the move.  A whole pile of text strings, including all part names and descriptions, some labels in context menus, and Kerbal professions, all seem to have vanished.  They've been replaced by a string of the form "#autoLOC_50nnnn":

I assume a file full of text strings got corrupted somehow when I copied all the files a few months ago, and I just didn't notice during my quickie check to make sure KSP still functioned in its new location. 

As implied above, I normally do run with a small handful (half-dozen or so) mods, but the above screenshots were taken after I stripped out all mods--so the issue exists in my stock install and presumably is not mod-driven.  Hence my use of this "unmodded support" area.

Now, if this were the CURRENT version, I'd just go to Steam, verify file integrity, and let Steam fix whatever it discovered was missing/corrupted.  But my problem is with a prior version, so that's not going to work here.  Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is my 1.2.2 irretrievably corrupted?

Hi the thing is the "#autoLOC_50nnnn": is not a feature of KSP 1.22 that is new in 1.3 and forms part of the cfg  localisation , each part in 1.3 has a tag = x.  for search terms. and in 1.3 unlike 1.22 which uses plain text, 1.3 uses these tags to reference a library entry  

There are no such references in 1.22.  It seems very much like you have somehow mixed up 1.22 and 1.3 parts under a 1.22 build

Should add that i'm running several copies of each and can only recreate your problem by dropping a 1.3 part into 1.22

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

The screenshots in the OP are from a brand new save created specifically to establish that the issue still exists in the unmodded game.  And as noted, the backup copy was made back in (checking folder dates) looks like March, most likely.  so I'm not sure how some aspects of 1.3 could have snuck into that 1.2.2 backup. But yes, the symptoms do rather 'smell' like a localization-related file went missing.  Which, as noted, doesn't exist in 1.2.2.  So SOMEHOW, bits of 1.3 snuck into this install--presumably when I moved the latest versions of mods/saves/etc. into the backup after 1.3 dropped...?

I guess this means I either give up on 1.2.2 forever, or sort out Steam's "roll back to the previous version" function.  I assume there's also some way to tell Steam to install the CURRENT version afterward...?

6 minutes ago, Srpadget said:

I guess this means I either give up on 1.2.2 forever, or sort out Steam's "roll back to the previous version" function.  I assume there's also some way to tell Steam to install the CURRENT version afterward...?

On the same steam tab used to select the 1.29 beta and now 1.3 there is an option by clicking dropdown to select 1.22

download install that, then copy the whole ksp folder to a new location, then go back to steam and reselect 1.3  and download that,  you now have a safe install of 1.22 and a clean and shiny 1.3 enjoy

Okay, I think I have a properly-working V1.2.2 again!  Plus a fresh new virginal V1.3 awaiting my attention when I get around to it.  (Still seriously weird... Utterly mystified how ALL the 1.2.2 part definitions could have gotten overwritten by 1.3 versions, let alone without breaking anything else, but that seems to have been what happened.)

Thanks much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.