Updating different installs to 1.3

First off, I do have mods but this is just a general question IMO.

I used steam to buy this game, but I have a separate install with life support mods installed, and was wondering how to update it easily. On steam the normal install updates automatically, but I don't think it does on a separate install. I've added the separate install to steam to load it though, but it is not properly recognised.

Steam updates games in the Steamlibrary, not with separate copies (to be said, KSP is one of few games allowing to be copied and run outside of Steamlibrary).

Provided you have the game updated in the Steamlibrary (/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program), and after verifying its local cache is correct through Steam (oftentimes Steam garbles updates, verifying the cache would ensure the correctness), you can use its files to update the separate install by copypasting them. To avoid obsolete files no more valid with 1.3 hanging around, best first to delete all these subfolders and their content:

- /KSP_Data;

- /KSP_x64_Data;

- /Launcher_Data;

- /GameData/Squad;

- /GameData/AsteroidDay (in case the official add-on was installed).

Also, make a backup copy of settings.cfg, you certainly would like to keep what crafted for that install.

Then paste everything from the Steam KSP install to your separate install; and restore the settings.cfg from the backup.

Please note, this doesn't ensure add-ons will work unless updated to a version compatible with 1.3, and therefore not your saves depending from add-ons either.

Therefore, I'd wait all of the add-ons with your install to be available in a version compatible with 1.3, and keep playing the old KSP version until then

4 hours ago, Skylon said:

wondering how to update it easily.

I'd use something like 'rsync -a --delete --exclude 'saves' --exclude 'screenshots' <steam install> <non-steam install>'. Backup important stuff first, reinstall mods later (as they probably won't be compatible with 1.3)
Because:

3 hours ago, diomedea said:

To avoid obsolete files no more valid with 1.3 hanging around, best first to delete all these subfolders...

Copy-paste is a clumsy tool.

Or, if you're feeling brave, use --include / --exclude to keep your mods...

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.