Clean way to radial attach another vessel

So... I'm quite stumped as in how to attach a different vessel radially to for example a carrier rocket. Merging the two vessels together in the VAB is easy enough, but finding a clean way to attach them...? Initially I figured to just use the Mk2 Clamp-O-Tron that the vessel below has. Unfortunately there are no attachment points on the docking port, even when deployed.

Now, the most obvious alternatives are the TT-38K, TT-70, or the hydraulic manifold. As these are meant for radially attaching things they are functional, however they also leave ugly residual parts and are therefore not "clean" (I don't like spiky bits sticking out of permanently active vessels). So instead, I tried an inverted TR-1A on top of the BZ-52. This worked... until I tried to stage it. Somehow the two vessels are fused...

Looking at the save file, I can see the the following:

• Part #12 (stackPoint1) has parent = 1, srfN = srfAttach, 1, attN = top, 13.
  • Part #13 (stackDecoupler) has parent = 12, attN = bottom, 12, attN = top, -1.
  • Part #14 (mk2FuselageShortLiquid) has parent = 13, srfN = srfAttach, 13.

If I interpret this correctly, this means that the BZ-52 is radially attached to the root node, the TR-1A is attached to the BZ-52 and the chain ends there. Yet somehow the detached vessel remains surface-attached to the TR-1A. So I guess I should file a bug report for the TR-1A not decoupling surface-attached parts?

In any case, how to cleanly separate radially attached vessels other than save file hacking (ie. using a stock radial decoupler and deleting the ugly bits later)? I looked at a bunch of mods and mod packs but I can't find the decoupler I'm looking for.... Any ideas?

OzcvTK8l.png

17 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Do'h... totally forgot about that one! Normally I never use it because it means more clicking in the tracking station to delete all the floaty bits. However, with the TR-1A being broken I guess there's no alternative. I really wish there were clean radial decouplers so I wouldn't have to fiddle with the rotation and offset gizmo but c'est la vie.

Both the Small Hardpoint and Structural Pylon will decouple with nothing left behind on the parent craft. It's easy to miss these parts because they are filed under the Structural category in the VAB.

They will however stay behind on the part that you are staging away. Put a cubic octagonal strut (or other small structural part) on the end of one and you can root the subassembly to that and then attach it to another of those on the other side. Clean separation on both sides.

Edited by HvP

Just now, bewing said:

No, the MK2 clamp-o-tron cannot be "pre-docked" in the VAB -- as I understood it, that was the problem. But the MK1 version can be.

If you mean why not http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Clamp-O-Tron_Docking_Port then OK. AFAIK the http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Inline_Clamp-O-Tron, which is what come to mind when one say radial, have the same issue. I'm mistaken?

Even so: how surface attaching things to docking ports plays out?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.