Hi Guys,

I decided to make a new wishlist as a master thread that has my own complete wishlist of new parts and some new features. I know a lot of these have probably been requested by many other players, but I thought it would be a good idea to showcase them all in one place. Feel free to add your own ideas below.

Barely any of these are major things that definitely need to be added, I'm simply thinking everything I myself can think of that I'd personally like.

Most, if not all of these can be solved with mods. However, I think some of these would be a very nice to have added the base game. Problem though, having all these parts may have an impact on the design simplicity of KSP, like I said most of the items on this list are by no means crucially important things to add and this will end up probably adding absolutely tonnes of not hundreds of parts (unless they be made procedural or tweakable). I know some of these are badly explained, I will try and make these more concise. 

Now do I start with the biggest one first and get it out of the way or do I leave it till the end...

Oh well, better prepare thy selves this is gonna be huge, prepare for death by words (I do apologise):

[all measurements are in metres]

• Structural parts overhaul, this one is quite extensive. I'll start with the I-Beams - currently they have quite an awkward size in terms of length - for me it's be great if they were redesigned keeping the 0.2x0.2 cross-section but having lengths of say 1, 2 and even 0.5m maybe even 1.25, 2.5 and 3.75m even procedural. It would be great if these had a tweakable so that they can be changed from an I-Beam, to say a hollow cylindrical tube or a tube with a square cross-section, it would also be great if their material could be changed from the metal (presumably steel/titanium) to the material found with aero parts (these should change their density and thus bouyancy, the metal should naturally sink whereas the aero material (presumably a composite material) should be excessively buoyant and should probably have lower impact and thermal tolerances. For structural panels I'd like to keep the existing ones but again, maybe add the tweakable material for them, besides that for me a 0.5x1 and a 0.5x0.5 would be good. The other thing I'd like to add are different shapes and configurations of structural panels, again these could be made procedural and have tweakables. The shapes I'd like to see are triangles (both right-angled and equilateral), hexagons, octagons and circles, conveniently sized to match structural panels and the radial size form factors. Back onto the tweakables for structural panels, I think it would be nice if there were windowed versions, either versions that are just plain windows or have windows embedded in them. All for the sake of allowing over-engineering of crafts to make them look more perfect. 
  • Better tweakables for changing the amount of fuel/authority limiters etc - I'd like to be able to double click the number by the slider and input a value in just to save the frustration of precisely moving the slider (which is still good for larger increments), sometimes it can be frustrating when it won't go to 0 and you have to go hunting in craft config files. Also, when I remove fuel in the editor I'd like this to be able physically change the maximum amount of fuel the vehicle can take, so when I fly it the fuel bar doesn't start partially empty - it should redefine the maximum fuel a vehicle can take (obviously make this an option, so players can start with reduced fuel loads and then top up to max as well as doing what I just described).
  • A new set of aero engines, specifically electric propellers, I propose versions like the ducted fans seen on the Avatar helicopters, ducted fans like on most modern airships and ones styled like commonplace EDFs in RC models. These should have versions that are radially and attached via nodes where applicable and come to suite all current form factors, they should also have tweakables to define blade types (either like a conventional propeller, scimitar blades, or more gas turbine blade like), number of blades from 2 and onwards (similar to the fairings) and to have the duct or not. There should be an inline version as well with a rotor with blades lining it's circumference. The blades on most versions should be reversible allowing for reverse thrust, These should be adequate for both conventional and VTOL aircraft as well as watercraft. 
  • More wing parts, mainly for 0.625m parts with smaller wings and smaller control surfaces (I'm a big fan of gliding probes, but I can also see them being used for... other purposes).
  • A 0.625m SRB that can be attached radially and inline (basically scaled down RT-5 or RT-10).
  • Node-attached inline version of sepratron 1 with identical performance
  • Omni-directional lights in 3 sizes
  • A retractable version of the Pegasus 1
  • Functional pre-cooler (acts like a radiator - if it doesn't already)
  • Rangefinder and camera/telescope science parts, for finding above ground level altitudes. Range should go from say 0-10km maybe more for slightly larger versions or whatever is more suitable.
  • Stabilising landing legs, so that for example if you land on a hill, the legs will automatically extend/retract telescopically so that the thing they're supporting remains level - useful for the foundations of structures and bases.
  • Tank steering options for wheels and if possible tracked wheels 
  • A permanent docking connector, should be as strong as connecting parts normally in the editor, isn't able to be decoupled, useful for orbital construction, should be shaped like the current 2.5m docking port but with smaller sizes (could be a tweakable option on current parts).
  • Square solar panels and radiators, as well as flat radiators, new solar panels that conform to structural panels (don't replace existing, they're good for mounting around the current cylindrical tanks etc). 
  • 1.25m and 2.5m cargo bays and taller service bays.
  • Horizontal and Vertical versions of the hitchhiker storage container and mobile processing unit (at the moment, they're aligned vertically with circular floors) I propose another version that's aligned horizontally, the external model won't change, but the IVA will - just because at the moment having them vertically orientated means they're at a different orientation to the command pods except the lander-cans
  • Another Kerbal seat that doesn't have control functionality plus the ability to add Kerbals into seats from the editor.
  • Another RCS system that uses compressed air from jet engines/APUs instead of mono-propellant 
  • Reworked cockpit IVAs (I'm looking at the non-functional MFDs here).
  • Stock bearing parts (they are possible with current stock parts but it would be good if we could get a part as stock). These really don't need to be motorised because we already have good possibilities for actuation, though I imagine a motorised version is desirable for robotic arms - like everything here this is open for discussion
  • Stock actuators and hinges (like in infernal robotics) with selectable ranges of motion, speed of motion and torque (as well as a realism option for you if you want high torque -> moves at lower speed or something).
  • More suitable aircraft antennae or maybe a tweakable option for radomes
  • A ballast tank with a super precise slider or the possibility of inputting values - this should contain a very dense and totally inert resource - isn't used up by anything (unlike ore) and have a super precise slider or alternatively be able to enter a value from the editor like I discussed earlier. 
  • More ladder sizes (or tweakable Kelus-LV)
  • Covered 0.625 and 2.5m docking port
  • Graphical improvement to T-1 "Dart" Toroidal aerospike, at the moment it seems too truncated, the cone (spike) should be extended to be made more spikey
  • Graphical improvement to the S3 KS-25x4 "Mammoth" to match the S3 KS-25 "Vector" the Mammoth is just 4 of the latter engine mounted together, however the former has nozzles that are of poorer quality than that of the Vector and burns with an orange flame instead of the blue flame.
  • Wet/Dry modes to JX-4 "Whiplash" Turbo Ramjet
  • A more powerful 0.625m jet engine to complement the J-20 "Juno" jet engine with wet/dry modes (should either be a scaled down JX-4 or J-404)
  • Graphical improvements to some parts that aren't maybe as good as the standard set by some other parts
  • More airbrake variants (could just be control surfaces which a very large range of motion (60-70 degrees) in one direction only)
  • The addition of the old style fighter jet like Mk.1 cockpit alongside the new Learjet like Mk.1 cockpit - I miss it dearly and would love to have both instead of just the 1
  • A linear toroidal aerospike in multiple form factors
  • More air intakes for 0.625m parts, eg the shock-cone intake, the inline adjustable ramp intake and the radial adjustable ramp intake (kinda goes with the wing/control surfaces parts for 0.625m form factor)
  • Circular 0.625m and 3.75m probe cores (scaled RC-001S and RC-L01 RGUs
  • Have the grappling hook be able to grapple onto planetary surfaces not just parts and asteroids - will allow it to be used as anchors
  • Optional life support system and applicable resource tanks for said life support 
  • Supersonic shock cone and boom effects
  • Define exact part to autostrut to, but keeping the current attach to root part, heaviest part etc
  • Tweakable option for J-90 "Goliath" to remove its structural hardpoint (unless it's already possible)
  • A new structural hardpoint of different sizes to complement the current airliner style ones (they should be more like the older style ones but suitably modernised and in different sizes).
  • Inflatable toroidal heat shields
  • Inflatable airbags for buoyancy and cushioning landings.
  • Fix mirroring issues on structural panels and I-beams at certain orientations
  • Landing gear that retracts outward laterally (sideways) 
  • Animated cockpits and hatches
  • Updated lights for runways and towers 
  • Flashing variants for lights with defined period and flash mode, as well as rotating beacon lights.

Features have been discussed to death including:

• Multiplayer
  • Atmospheric effects
  • Multiple solar systems

Give yourself a great big pat on the back if you made it through that!

Cheers!

Ollie

Edited by ReconXPanzer

Thats alot of content you want there, im not going to lie, i do agree with what you want.

And yes there are of course mods that bring some of your suggestions to life. Like alot.

Edited by NSEP

This list is like everything I could possibly think of, the biggest thing for me is the revised structural parts - just for improving craft aesthetics and making construction a tonne easier (well for me anyway).

pretty much all of this has simple strait forward fixes and solutions that mods provide - this is just a list for making the basic KSP better :)

On 2017-6-4 at 0:59 PM, NSEP said:

Thats alot of content you want there, im not going to lie, i do agree with what you want.

And yes there are of course mods that bring some of your suggestions to life. Like alot.

more like there are mods that bring almost everything that he wants...

but still i agree a lot of these things should be added to the stock game for balancing purposes. (that is the problem i have with most mods, they usually have parts that are completely OP compared to stock) 

15 minutes ago, Noud said:

more like there are mods that bring almost everything that he wants...

but still i agree a lot of these things should be added to the stock game for balancing purposes. (that is the problem i have with most mods, they usually have parts that are completely OP compared to stock) 

Agreed, plus I did address that a good portion of this can be solved with mods. This is just a massive list for literally everything I could possibly think of, the only thing I feel that's in anyway a needed improvement is the expanded structural panels and maybe some graphical improvements to the parts described in my original post. Most mods also don't conform to the stock styling and they often have issues when KSP is updated some even have or have had compatibility issues - something that isn't an issue with the stock parts because they're fixed/updated  during development. Plus like you say, some are a little overkill compared to stock parts and you have to rely on modders to upload content, support their content, fix broken content and update content - I'm not saying they're not reliable or dependable but there's a possibility for things to get suddenly broken and thus the modders have to play catchup.

Edited by ReconXPanzer

I mostly agree with you, but not that the  "Dart" Toroidal aerospike needs to become longer. I think that would make the engine too cumbersome. Also the Whiplash is already pretty much a wet mode engine. If you want an engine with a wet/dry mode similar to the Whiplash you can use the Panther. Also, what use would a retractable Pegasus 1 have? Such a small retractable ladder would have very limited use in my opinion. Overall though, most of your suggestions would be great if implemented into the game. :) 

4 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

I mostly agree with you, but not that the  "Dart" Toroidal aerospike needs to become longer. I think that would make the engine too cumbersome. Also the Whiplash is already pretty much a wet mode engine. If you want an engine with a wet/dry mode similar to the Whiplash you can use the Panther. Also, what use would a retractable Pegasus 1 have? Such a small retractable ladder would have very limited use in my opinion. Overall though, most of your suggestions would be great if implemented into the game. :) 

Pegasus 1: Just for a clean set-up, it's supposed to just retract laterally, you know the rungs extend almost telescopically outwards, not like the other ladders, that retract then fold away. [Like this (skip to 8:25 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bofxv_15-tintin-explorers-on-the-moon_tv)] For the toroidal aerospike I just think the spike should be well, spikey, just a very small extension of the spike would do - it just doesn't look maybe as realistic as it could, it's not a major issue to address

The Whiplash whilst yes, it excels at it's wet mode performance but to have the wet mode on at low thrust levels doesn't seem right, it would be good if it's afterburner mode would initiate at say 80% of max power - again by no means a major issue

Edited by ReconXPanzer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.