[1.8.x] DMagic's Basic Mods - Basic Orbit 9.0 Basic DeltaV 6.0 [11-2-2019]

DMagic

@Lobotomic The new log files look ok. I don't see anything wrong.

What exactly is going wrong? Which icon are you hovering over that doesn't light up?

There was a problem that affected some aspects of the mod in non-English versions, but It was fixed in version 3.1, which you have, and I tested it in the Russian version of KSP. But that never prevented the mod from working, it just confused the system for offering extra options when you create a maneuver node.

Edited by DMagic

@Lobotomic That menu doesn't show when you click on the orbit?

There is nothing to hover over that would trigger that menu, you have to click somewhere on the orbit to bring that menu up, and if you are playing in career mode you have to be able to create maneuver nodes (the Mission Control building has to be level 2, I think).

The keyboard shortcut is only used to open or close the maneuver node gizmo, the thing with the handles that pull to edit the maneuver node.

13 minutes ago, Lobotomic said:

You mean the tracking station?

Both tracking station and mission control both need to be level 2. When you right-click on the mission control is says that the upgrade to level to allows for "mission planning", which means maneuver nodes. But if you only upgrade the mission control it will say that a tracking station upgrade is also required.

Edited by DMagic

Hooray !!!! Working!!!!

уважаемый Dmagic, а где написано в вашем описании мода о том, что надо улучшить центр управления полетом?
так или иначе, спасибо за помощь и терпение, спасибо большое :)))

It's meant to be an extension of the stock maneuver node system. So basic knowledge of the stock system, which is described in the KSPedia entries, and presumably the tutorials, is assumed.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any chance of getting the delta-v display in-flight? I'd love to drop KER entirely for these simpler mods, but it's nice to be able to see dv and twr per stage while flying. I also really like the idea of having stage information pinned to the staging area during flight.

Edited by SaintWacko

@SaintWacko Like this?

6xS1mwW.png

I started working on it, but it has some problems. For one, I want an option to only show data for the active stage (with a toggle that would show the total vessel dV, so it would show 80/3,561m/s for this example, instead of 80/80), but the system in place really isn't designed for that and I end up running into problems, like the info display disappearing when it shouldn't, or not switching correctly. On the plus side, it does manage to shift over whenever the little resource sliders appear, even for panels not in the currently active stage.

The other problem is what to do with map view. Should the display only be active in the flight view? Should the panels just float in the bottom left? It's not just an issue of keeping the panels on screen, they are directly tied to the actual staging icons, so when the staging is hidden then the info panels are hidden. I would need an entirely separate display system for it to work in map view.

14 minutes ago, DMagic said:

I started working on it, but it has some problems. For one, I want an option to only show data for the active stage (with a toggle that would show the total vessel dV, so it would show 80/3,561m/s for this example, instead of 80/80), but the system in place really isn't designed for that and I end up running into problems, like the info display disappearing when it shouldn't, or not switching correctly.

Personally I could live without that option, if it's not workable.

On the plus side, it does manage to shift over whenever the little resource sliders appear, even for panels not in the currently active stage.

Score one for Unity transforms?

The other problem is what to do with map view. Should the display only be active in the flight view? Should the panels just float in the bottom left?

Either of these seems reasonable. The stock UI hides plenty of things in the map view as well.

On the topic of Basic_DeltaV... My preferred configuration looks like this:

KF0S8MW.png

I don't care about mass, thrust, or ISP enough to have them visible by default. The remaining quantities are easy to distinguish by their units and positioning (m/s, s, dimensionless). To increase the signal to noise ratio, I would love to have a "Show Labels?" toggle that I could turn off, so e.g. the bottom window would say only:

2222 / 2222 m/s
1m 30s
1.80 (3.66)

And now that I'm looking at it, some option to move the fields around would be nice as well. I think I'd like to have the TWR at the top:

1.80 (3.66)
2222 / 2222 m/s
1m 30s

Could this by any chance find its way onto your development roadmap, please? :)

39 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Score one for Unity transforms?

Sadly no. The little sliders, KSP calls them staging info boxes, are parented to each staging icon. So the only way to let Unity handle the layout would be to parent the readout panel to an individual icon. But it would only shift to the right if that specific icon had its info box active, if a neighboring box was active the readout panel wouldn't see it and would be partially hidden. So I've just been using the dumb method of checking for any active boxes in a group.

A better method might be to force the panel onto the bottom of the staging group, instead of the middle, then just check the bottom two icons.

To increase the signal to noise ratio, I would love to have a "Show Labels?" toggle that I could turn off, so e.g. the bottom window would say only:

Maybe, though I'm not sure how much I like the idea of just having floating, context-less numbers.

And now that I'm looking at it, some option to move the fields around would be nice as well. I think I'd like to have the TWR at the top:

This is the same issue I have with Basic Orbit. I don't want to have something stupid like a config file to determine draw order, or little up and down arrows to shift each module, I would only do it if I can add a drag and drop method for the toolbar panel, which is something that I've just never bothered to look into.

That and, for Basic DeltaV the ordering is actually pretty complicated. Each readout is assigned a default order and a size class, so each line can only have one small readout and one large readout, or two small readouts, but never two large readouts. It's done this way to try to minimize the size of the panel, and to ensure that one line isn't significantly longer than any other.

KSP 1.3, MNE 3.1, Win10

I've re-read the OP and learnt a) read them carefully the first time :cool:, and b) there is, in fact, a good explanation for most things.  BTW, thanks for a solidly useful mod.

What I can't seem to figure out is the location of the MNE setting menu.  I've looked in the flight scene, the KSC scene and the Settings dialog on the initial game screen.  Where have I overlooked it?

• 2 weeks later...

@DMagic I hope I don't make myself look like an idiot too :) but is it possible to rename "Terrain Altitude" to "Terrain Height" (above sealevel) ?
Because that "altitude" word confuses my grey cells :) See the picture attached.

Edit: Oh dang it, I noticed that display of stage dV and TWR is already discussed above . I think I'm gonna still leave it under spoiler then, but I only ever use "current" stage values.
The non-active non-current stages were never interesting for me.

Spoiler

It would be also supercool to know the approximated stage dV and stage TWR statistic for current stage.
This is used to approximate the effectiveness of engine thrust during maneuvers and ascend, as well as to see if there is enough fuel left to perform the maneuver.
Pretty critical statistic, if you ask me.

Critical skin/outer temperture of hottest part would also be nice, but least priority since there are stock indicators.

I would also volunteer to translate this mod collection into ru_RU when its strings finalize. :)

Pictures below

Spoiler

"Terrain Altitude -> Terrain Height" proposal

l3iC2xW.png

Current dV & TWR readout proposal:
0nO103b.png

@Kerbal101 Terrain Height, yes, I think that was a problem of self-editing. I need to update Basic Orbit anyway to fix an error with the terrain height calculation when on EVA (it fills the log file with errors, but shouldn't cause any other problems). Also, in case you don't know, you can move the readout panels, just click the "Drag" toggle for each panel in the toolbar menu.

Vessel information is conspicuously absent from Basic Orbit, I've considered adding a panel specifically for it, but have never really worked on it.

For Basic DeltaV I've fixed the current stage info to work reliably (and in a much simpler, more coherent way), so I should have an update soon with the readouts in flight, with options to only show the current stage. I've also added in some options for carer mode restrictions, and/or for crew requirements.

I haven't added localization support for any of these mods because they all have very tight space restrictions. In these mods there are readouts or text strings in some cases that have been tweaked with no room for extra characters. Some of these restrictions have already been alleviated to some degree, but it still makes things tricky.

Basic Orbit version 7.1 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It contains a few bug fixes, slight UI tweaks, and fixes for phase angle and inclination calculation errors. It also changes the title of Terrain Altitude to Terrain Height. And adds an indicator for post-maneuver target-relative inclination. This readout is combined with the standard post-maneuver node inclination display, and is only shown when the maneuver node and target share the same orbital reference body.

8yK7wiI.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 2:58 PM, DMagic said:

6xS1mwW.png

This is such an elegant way of displaying delta v.  I really wish more mods would integrate themselves into the UI more.  I know that's probably easier said than done.  

Edited by klgraham1013

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.