[1.8.x] DMagic's Basic Mods - Basic Orbit 9.0 Basic DeltaV 6.0 [11-2-2019]

DMagic

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

I actually though it already did that, or something similar to that, I think it does for TWR, but I guess not for dV. That's relatively easy to change, it might not work correctly all of the time, but for most cases I think I have a solution (it works fine with the Kerbal X, at least).

I have a hunch that engine's staged state might interfere with calculations, because the game treats unstaged disabled engine differently from staged disabled engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Please keep maintaining Basic DeltaV. Stock dV does not work with Real Fuels, so your mod is still very useful. v4.0 has a slight problem with KSP 1.6 though - display background color does not work. Instead of dark gray it's white, so white text becomes unreadable. It's readable with transparency set to 0% (or 100%? No color basically) but it's not as convenient as dark background. 

• 2 weeks later...

Basic DeltaV version 5.0 is out; get it on Space Dock.

This version completely overhauls how the mod works. Almost all aspects of the old UI have been removed and the mod has been altered to function through the stock UI. It disables all of the stock dV calculations and replaces them with its own.

Several improvements and additions have been made to the stock system, most of which can be summarized in the image below:

eWKkKSv.png

These changes result in better performance, less garbage allocations, more available information, and a better experience than the stock system allows for.

35 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Everything looks great, values are shown even when the engine of current stage is shut down after use. Maneuver time also shown correctly in this situation.

How it should work is that if you disable an engine in the active stage, then it will ignore that engine for all calculations.

But if you disable all engines in the active stage, or there is only one and you have disabled it, then it will revert to treating all engines as if they are enabled, providing the correct ISP, burn time, and dV amounts (thrust and TWR values represent the actual thrust and TWR).

Considering all I use Kerbal Engineer for anymore is the altitude/velocity display UI during flight-mode (now that deltaV info is built in the game), I'm really tempted to give this mod a try! In order to remove a mod full of stuff I don't use anyway. lol

The only bit of information I'd really miss, is the Horizontal and Vertical Velocities that KE shows, but this doesn't appear too? If you could add horizontal and vertical velocity to the Basic Orbit options to display, this mod would permanently replace Kerbal Engineer for me! ;D EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see it at first.

Edited by NikoKun

@NikoKun Horizontal and vertical velocity is shown, but unless it is forced on it will only show in certain circumstances, like when you are in atmospheric flight, or sub-orbital flight, or something along those lines. I don't remember the exact criteria. But you can always just force any readout to display all of the time.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

@NikoKun Horizontal and vertical velocity is shown, but unless it is forced on it will only show in certain circumstances, like when you are in atmospheric flight, or sub-orbital flight, or something along those lines. I don't remember the exact criteria. But you can always just force any readout to display all of the time.

Oh! Sorry, I totally didn't realize that, since I didn't see it in the screen shots. I probably should have just tried it myself, to see if that was in there. heh

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll certainly be using this mod now! ;)

Edit: Seems to be working fine, and yeah I'm dumb, I should have just tried it first before asking.. Cause it displays both Velocities nice and clearly together! It'll take a little getting used to where things are, but I think I already like this a bit better than KE. Lots of great additional info, and this way I don't need all the extra stuff in KE, or have mods with overlapping features.

Edited by NikoKun

I'm having some problems with readouts.

Stage 5 is the core LH2 engine, no dV value.

Stage 3 ejects LES, reads ISP and dV of what looks like stage 5 engine, sort of.

Stage 1 is the main ship engine, no output.

RykkY6z.jpg

After a bit of fiddling and probably an undo action, the picture changes:

dV values differ (look more correct, apparently)

Stage 1 now has output, Stage 3(5) dramatically decreases.

Zx0xjAQ.jpg

@Psycho_zs A few things: 

It's normal that stage 5 doesn't have dV, there is no way to determine when stage 4 would be activated, so all of the dV from stage 5 falls down to stage 3, where the decoupler is.

The simulator is basically assuming that once stage 5 is active, then stage 4 will be immediately activated, and all of the fuel will be burned before stage 3 is activated.

For stage 1 I'm not sure what is going on, that NaN for the ISP value would definitely screw things up, but I don't know where it would come from.

I could roughly recreate this vessel with values that looked about like your 2nd picture. I couldn't get it to behave like the 1st picture. These are all ReStock parts? They should work fine, but you could be causing problems somewhere. Do you have cross feed enabled on any of the decouplers? That always confuses things.

Stages are independent, no crossfeed. Core engine (which is Skiff from MH, but patched to use LH2) is shrouded with a decoupler and inverted nose cone (dropped off with the boosters). I'll try to find what action triggers numbers to change.

Seems to be mod-related. I tried to reproduce on clean game + MH, BasicDV, B9PartSwitch, MM (and no patches), unsuccessfully.

Spoiler

GameData listing, not very informative.

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_USITools
001_ToolbarControl
B9PartSwitch
BAM
BasicDeltaV
BasicOrbit
BetterSRBs
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DecayingRTGs
DeployableEngines
Diazo
DistantObject
DKSalvage
DockRotate
DynamicBatteryStorage
EditorExtensionsRedux
EvaFuel
ExperimentTracker
FuelTanksPlus
HeatControl
KAS
KerbalAtomics
KerbNetController
KIS
Kopernicus
KSPRescuePodFix
LandingHeight
MandatoryRCSPartPack
ManeuverNodeEvolved
ModularFlightIntegrator
NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicatorCE
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
OrbitalSurveyPlus
PartOverhauls
PersistentRotation
PlanetShine
RCSBuildAid
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
RecoveryController
ReStock
ReStockPlus
RocketSoundEnhancement
Sigma
SmokeScreen
Squad
SquadExpansion
StageRecovery
StationPartsExpansionRedux
TacFuelBalancer
TimeControl
TrackingStationEvolved
TriggerTech
UmbraSpaceIndustries
VABReorienter
Blacklist.cfg
engine_throttle_depth.cfg
engine_tweaks.cfg
hide_empty_ttree_nodes.cfg
misc_tweaks.cfg
ModuleManager.3.1.3.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManagerLicense.md
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
oscar_nerf.cfg
Sigma_stuff.cfg
USI_LS_Settings.cfg
zzz_AddEngineSpoolDelay.cfg

In my heavily modded game there is some magic number of parts in this ship (not booster) beyond which numbers become nonsensical. (this happens only in VAB, not in flight)

LdFGhha.jpg

Basic DeltaV version 5.1 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It fixes a few bugs related to the stage group panels, adds an engine torque value option to the dV toolbar panel, and ignores locked resource containers when calculating the max dV available for a stage, this value is only used to set the maximum value of the slider when using the dV slider option. The actual dV values always accounted for the locked status of resource containers.

@Psycho_zs Have you tried the same setup with KER to see if the same weird behavior is present? That would help to know if the problem has something to do with how the values are calculated,  which is basically the same across both mods, or if it has something to with how Basic dV is interfacing with the stock system.

• 4 weeks later...

Basic Orbit version 8.4 and Basic DeltaV version 5.2 are out.

Basic Orbit 8.4 fixes a bug with the background image for the readout panels and adds a new Total Maneuver Node readout. When more than one maneuver node is created this will display the total dV required for all active maneuver nodes. It should work in KSP versions 1.4 and up.

Basic DeltaV 5.2 fixes a bug that caused the stage group dV indicator box to become very large. There is also a known issue that sometimes the stage list will become unresponsive after creating a new stage group while in flight. Usually toggling the stage group extra info panel will fix the issue, as will switching to a different vessel.

@Psycho_zs Torque is basically related to the amount of thrust directed off-center. Tilting an engine will give torque; engine gimbaling in flight will also cause the torque readout to change. My guess is that those very small torque numbers you are seeing are due to rounding errors, or something being slightly off center.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all; thanks a lot for some really great KSP mods, and also for caring about improving game performance.

However, from what I can tell, Basic DeltaV is causing serious performance issues for me when I try to edit fairings. Editing gets very laggy the moment I start designing the fairing (only tested with the stock 1.25 Airstream protective shell so far). I can only guess it may have to do with a bunch of tiny changes to the mass, as the size of the fairing changes during editing.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, Psycho_zs said:

Installed KER, getting the same results.

BTW, what exactly does torque readout represent? The rocket is entirely symmetrical except antennae and chutes near/on the pod.

If there's torque reported, KER thinks there's a misalignment of the thrust vectors with the CoM at those particular stagings.

Trying using the RCS Build Aid mod as you're assembling the rocket as when switched to the proper mode it can give graphic display of those torques and allow you to place parts to minimize or eliminate them.

@DMagic Thanks for these mods they are pretty awesome and its nice to have an alternative to KER.  I installed them last night and everything seems to be fine.  There is only one thing holding me back from dropping KER though.  I don't know if i'm the only one that would want this but I wish it displayed the time to apoapsis and time to periapsis.  I know I can see it in the mad screen but I like to not go into map view on launch and use the apoapsis and time remaining to make my assent keeping the apoapsis out in front of me by a few seconds.  I apologize if this is in the mod and i missed it.  Thanks again and keep it up.

28 minutes ago, Toogy1206 said:

@DMagic Thanks for these mods they are pretty awesome and its nice to have an alternative to KER.  I installed them last night and everything seems to be fine.  There is only one thing holding me back from dropping KER though.  I don't know if i'm the only one that would want this but I wish it displayed the time to apoapsis and time to periapsis.  I know I can see it in the mad screen but I like to not go into map view on launch and use the apoapsis and time remaining to make my assent keeping the apoapsis out in front of me by a few seconds.  I apologize if this is in the mod and i missed it.  Thanks again and keep it up.

It already does that. It should say something like "Apoapsis: 200,000m in 30.2 seconds."

46 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It already does that. It should say something like "Apoapsis: 200,000m in 30.2 seconds."

Well then i must have missed that.  Ill go back in at lunch.  In that case the mods fantastic and I appreciate it all the work you guys put in.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Works in 1.7 but it appears to throw a Nullref whenever I EVA a Kerbal.

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqksfjoqgoh1yez/Basic-dV_output_log.zip?dl=0

======================================================

Edit: @DMagic I tested again on a clean install of KSP 1.7.1.02539 +MH +BG, no mods other than Basic dV.

Getting nullrefs whenever I place a part in the VAB and 'dump' it back into the partslist and whenever I EVA a kerbal.

Logs download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/99ftz94kws0x2mw/BasicDvLogs.zip?dl=0 (one log per nullref repro)

To reproduce nullref 1:
1. Enter the VAB;
2. Place a part;
3. Dump it back into the partslist;

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Behaviour:get_enabled ()
  at BasicDeltaV.BasicDeltaV.DeactivateEditorDeltaV () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at BasicDeltaV.BasicDeltaV+<WaitForEditorShip>d__85.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Nullref 2:
1. EVA a kerbal;

[FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Jebediah Kerman ----------------------

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
	[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Jebediah Kerman

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
	Exception handling event onDeltaVAppInfoItemsChanged in class StageGroup:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSP.UI.Screens.StageGroup.DeltaVCalcsCompleted () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSP.UI.Screens.StageGroup.DeltaVCalcsCompleted () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventVoid:Fire()
BasicDeltaV.<WaitForPanelRefresh>d__10:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)
	Exception handling event onDeltaVCalcsCompleted in class StageGroup:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventVoid:Fire()
BasicDeltaV.BasicDeltaV:UpdateStockDeltaV()
BasicDeltaV.BasicDeltaV:Update()

Edited by Jognt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.