The thread for all things Curiosity related

zombiphylax

So.. does anybody know whether it was 2km or 200m off target they landed?

These are the rest of the landing specifications as they read them out in the control room

10:14:39

-0.607398m/s vertical landing velocity

0.044365m/s horizontal landing velocity

1.046kg fuel remaining

4.37 degrees offset from gravity z vector

-4.591817 degrees lat

137.4220437 degrees longitude

So, 0.6m/s landing is good enough for nasa it should be good enough here in ksp :)

I could have sworn the reference to the deviation of 232meters (or whatever) was reported before the actual landing? Also, the fuel remaining wasn't really extra fuel, that's the fuel that was used to fly the skycrane away to wherever it crashed at. There was a very audible gasp/commotion from several people when the horizontal landing velocity was read off. At the time of the landing NASA was not aware of the exact deviation of the landing. The question was asked during the conference about if they were within 500 meters of their intended location and there was a response along the lines of, 'We have no idea, we won't know until the next flyover.' Anyone have a video link to the post-landing poll or the post-landing briefing/question/answer session? I can't find them anywhere online. I -knew- I should have recorded that live feed with bandicam. Grr.

[Edit] I just watched the NASA live feed, they said Curiosity landed 2km downrange, closer to Mt. Sharp then they planned but I think they were aiming for anywhere withing a 4km x 12km area, so no big deal.

Edited by Ziff

Stay up to about 4:20 CDT last night watching the landing, the press conference, and Kurtjmac's stream of it and I got to say it feels good that NASA pulled this off and seeing those descent images from MRO were just awesome.

One of these rovers, I really hope they stick a big enough power source and a 1080p 30 FPS video camera on it with a powerful enough antenna to stream the video back "live" 24/7. How amazing would that be? A Martian webcam!

We need to get James Cameron hooked on space instead of the ocean, so he starts building and launching his own Martian rovers instead of submarines. Then we'd get good video!

Edited by mrxak

This is probably a dumb question. But is there any specific reason why they don't have a microphone on-board curiosity? Is it just a cost/benefit thing?

Even though a microphone probably won't be as useful as a camera, I still would of thought the extra weight would be negligible, and it's a unique device or data gathering. I always wondered what it sound like on another planet. Or even a recording of the landing process. A mars dust storm would be amazing also.

I know most people will just say it's pretty similar to Earth, so why bother, I still think it'd be interesting anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.