Protective shell problem

I've been experiencing lots of issues with the airstream protective shells recently and I can't figure out what's going wrong. I've made three ships that work fine without a shell recently, but then when I add the shell, almost every part explodes upon loading. I've tried adjusting the size of the shell, I've turned the interstage nodes on and off and I've disabled the truss structure, and still my ships just explode every single time I try to load them. I even had one flight with a shell on its way to Duna that launched fine, but then when I loaded it later, it blew up too. This is really frustrating and I've tried everything I can think of. Any suggestions?

Do you use mods? Do you have anything clipped? What version of KSP are you using? There are known issues with clipping stuff (not necessarily with fairings) but they have got rarer recently.

Screenshots or a copy of your .craft file would be helpful here. (For images you can take screenshots with F1 and you need to host them on an image hosting site like Imgur, many don't require an account; for the .craft file you can find it in the KSP main folder > saves > [your save name] > Ships > SPH or VAB)

Edited by Gaarst

I've  never had this problem however it does sound like a conflict of mods somewhere.

If your not using mods then this community needs more info..

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

Do you use mods? Do you have anything clipped? What version of KSP are you using? There are known issues with clipping stuff (not necessarily with fairings) but they have gotten rarer recently.

Screenshots or a copy of your .craft file would be helpful here. (For images you can take screenshots with F1 and you need to host them on an image hosting site like Imgur, many don't require an account; for the .craft file you can find it in the KSP main folder > saves > [your save name] > Ships > SPH or VAB)

Great answer.  

Edited by maceemiller

• 1 month later...

I've had the same problem recently with the AE-FF2 Airstream Protective Shell (2.5m).

I've tried with and without mods (I use a bunch), but with the same result. I first thought it was because I had such an enormous ship that it was overwhelming my PC or something, but it turns out that my standard lander (called Manley) was causing it, or rather, its AE-FF2 Airstream Protective Shell. When that shell is removed, the rocket loads and launches just fine. With it, it explodes. I've used this standard lander for quite a while, in fact on basically every mission, so this is a new problem with a tried and tested ship.

In the log that pops up when everything goes to hell, the first thing to happen is that the airstream protective shell (hereafter named AE-FF2) collides with the part above it, which in my case is a separator. I switched separators from the TR-XL Stack Separator to the Rockomax Brand Decoupler, and then something interesting happened. Instead of exploding, the vehicle (lander inside the closed AE-FF2) bounces way up on the launch pad, and falls down again. I'd say it goes a few dozen meters up or so.

It seems like the AE-FF2 is "jumping" somehow, causing an explosion under unknown circumstances but a thrust upward under some other.

The build ID from the config that the internet told me to report as the version is:

[config]
build id = 01804
2017.05.25 at 19:56:39 CEST
Branch: master
language = en-us

That date, 25th of May 2017 is probably around the time I started having this problem. Haven't really played since, because I was hoping that the problem would go away with something being updated.

That's all the information I have currently.

4 hours ago, Teekin said:

snip

Seems you found the little germ. Maybe share a craft that suffer for this issue so other can test it, but more probably make the people that can handle it aware.

Our friend @bewing sometimes have an extra bit of info about where the creepy-crawler are going, and if their are about to be smashed or still eluding the insect-squishers.

This is a known bug in 1.3.0 and it's going to be fixed just as soon as the patch release comes out -- which is going to be very soon. It happens when you have struts or fuel ducts inside a fairing.

I've had this problem too.  I recently did a fresh install after suffering other problems, and reloaded the same mods that I have always used, which are not that many.  I loaded my saves and started having this problem with craft that had behaved perfectly previously.  Glad to see that someone thinks it is a known bug that is due to be fixed.

On 7/29/2017 at 9:29 PM, bewing said:

This is a known bug in 1.3.0 and it's going to be fixed just as soon as the patch release comes out -- which is going to be very soon. It happens when you have struts or fuel ducts inside a fairing.

I'm very happy to read that. :) I guess there's no need for me to provide the ship itself, since this stuff is already known.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.