KSP Challenge: Build and Fly a Mk2.5 Space Shuttle!

bKXXFL6s8EEm72i3hiQHA5W5xYTruN_vDaOQUvHp

Check out the amazing and creative entries of the last challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: “Build and Fly a Mk2.5 Space Shuttle” 

This challenge is similar to the one done back in April, with a twist:  @linuxgurugamer and @CarnageINC have just finished work to revive two old mods:

• The Mk 2.5 Space Plane Parts
  • Munar Industries - Modular Fuel Tank Expansion

Among other things, all tanks have had their volumes properly calculated, fuel amounts adjusted and masses redone.  The masses in the basic mods are set to a standard 8:1 to match most stock tanks, where 8 parts fuel to one part tank.  There is an optional patch with each to change that to values which are based on the actual volume/skin area of the tank. 

The challenge is to build a shuttle/winged orbiter or SSTO which carries Kerbals to orbit and back and is capable of a horizontal landing.  The orbiter must be lifted into space by a Launch System that decouples or un-docks once expended, allowing the Orbiter to land entirely under it's own power.

Share your screenshots, videos or images.We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community! 

Rules

• The shuttle MUST be built using the Mk2.5 parts.  
  • Use the Munar Industries to build external tanks, etc.
  • At least one Kerbal must be in the shuttle
  • All stock parts are allowed, as long as the first two rules are followed.
  • Autopilots are allowed (ie: Mechjeb, Gravity Turn, etc)
  • No Atmosphere-altering mods are allowed (including FAR)
  • No cheats during flight (clipping is allowed)
  • SSTO’s are allowed
  • Other mods are allowed, but discouraged.  Please list all mods used when submitting your entry
  • Craft files are required!  Putting them on KerbalX is a good and recommended way to make them available
  • Scoring is to be on the honor system.  Simply total up your points and list it when you post your entry

Scoring

• Built a shuttle or SSTO – 10 points
  • Reached orbit – 20 points
  • Landed with damage, all Kerbals survived – 10 points
  • Landed without damage, all Kerbals survived – 20 points
  • Brought x K of cargo to orbit (cargo must be deployed) – 1 points for each x 
  • Retrieved x K of cargo from orbit – 1 point for each x 

Secondary Scoring

• The number of “Likes” your entry gets

Reward

• Top vessels will be included in the mods in an update

Very Important Notes

• Both of these mods are in a beta release.  They both use AVC and include the MiniAVC dll.  It is quite possible that they will be updated during the course of this challenge.  AVC will notify you of any new files.

Please send any feedback regarding the mods to @linuxgurugamer

Installation

If installing by hand, you can get the latest file from Github at the following locations:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ModularFuelTankExpansion/releases
https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Mk2.5_Spaceplane_Parts/releases

If you want to use CKAN, you can use the following .CKAN files to install, using the CKAN menu option: File->Install from ckan:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzid7e3pW1k7clhKa0NlbmlYYlk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzid7e3pW1k7Q3hfSUhTXzkzSlU/view?usp=sharing

****You can submit using either 1.2.2 or 1.3.****

Special thanks to @linuxgurugamer

You will receive this special badge by @cratercracker

And a  new Official Badge :wink: 

Sci-zVeXGywqJXIKXcdm5zbWO3RNdcSY0uYPcEx6

Just now, Badie said:

You can always share your ideas 

Most of them don't involve rockets, space stations or shuttles ... or space in general. An increasing amount of members on this forum would like something to do inside the atmosphere or on some kind of surface. If I take a look at KerbalX ... what I see most is not landers, space stations or rockets. It's fighter jets.

Now I know fighters are out of the scope of this product and rightly so. Maybe an efficiency challenge for airplanes?

Even more outlandish: economy challenge for a rover or car with a minimal fuel tank, fuel cell, two science containers and at least 4 kerbals. On Kerbin.  No RTG's or solar panels allowed.

Difficulty involved: weight and aerodynamics. 

47 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Most of them don't involve rockets, space stations or shuttles ... or space in general. An increasing amount of members on this forum would like something to do inside the atmosphere or on some kind of surface.

Well, speak for yourself. I mostly find rovers and aircraft a chore.

2 minutes ago, ElJugador said:

Well, speak for yourself. I mostly find rovers and aircraft a chore.

And there is a lot of you who feel the same. But I don't speak just for myself. I speak for an increasing amount of people who are tired of space. And they either jump to a different game or start to explore what this game has to offer besides space.

1 minute ago, ElJugador said:

If they feel strongly about that, then they should go get X-Plane or beam.ngDrive instead. This is kerbal SPACE program, first and foremost

You're free to have your opinion.

5 hours ago, Azimech said:

Hmmm ... still waiting for a challenge that would spark my interest.

Kind of derailing the thread here...  post your own challenge for creating a '79 Ford Pinto out of RCS thrusters if you like.

32 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Kind of derailing the thread here...  post your own challenge for creating a '79 Ford Pinto out of RCS thrusters if you like.

:-)

You're speaking my language. Now that is a challenge. Anyone can go to space but who can build a Pinto?

No. I don't use mods, and I don't want to potentially corrupt my saves. I thought the challenges were meant to be do-able in stock, and not use obligatory mods. Please, do not make another challenge like this, you are alienating a significant fraction of PC players, and everyone on console.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

1 hour ago, MiffedStarfish said:

No. I don't use mods, and I don't want to potentially corrupt my saves. I thought the challenges were meant to be do-able in stock, and not use some obligatory mods that aren't even finished yet according to the post. Please, do not make another challenge like this, you are alienating a significant fraction of PC players, and everyone on console.

I agree with this, though I use mods myself. Unless these are going to be implemented into stock and you want to see what people think or could make from them I won't participate, nor will I derail this thread any more

Oh come on!
The ones opposed about the use of mods in this weeks challenge should take a look in the challenges thread.
I think Squad is doing a great job comming up with an average of challenge types that are listed there.

Only one challenge so far that requires the use of mods...

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

:-)

You're speaking my language. Now that is a challenge. Anyone can go to space but who can build a Pinto?

beam.ngDrive is still out there, and it's got soft-body physics + moddability FYI :). It's even slightly cheaper than KSP at normal price.

Not interested in replicas of RL stuff, tyvm. And beside, beam.ng's car physics are way better than tons of structural panels stapled together into something that vaguely resembles a Pinto.

Edited by ElJugador

I'm finding the Mk2.5 parts make a pretty easy to fly craft - or I just got lucky. Takeoff was a breeze and flew straight and true. Used set orbit cheat to test reentry, where I proceeded to scatter debris all over the mountains. My error, the ship responded well.   

Looking for building advice from the masters - I'm not a spaceplane or shuttle builder. - Wondering what works well to cap off the end since the mini-vectors have no butt. I know I can (and did) just surface attach to whatever last fuselage I use, but is there a 'proper' way to do this? There is no engine mounting plate.

Haven't tried the tank mod yet but do like many of the neat parts it adds. 

Hope to have a complete launchable ship in a few days. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.