KSP Challenge: Build and Fly a Mk2.5 Space Shuttle!

I also think that, at least for these official challenges, they should be possible to do in the stock game and not REQUIRE specific third-party mods.  It's one thing for challenges posed by random users on the challenge forum to require mods, but these official ones are a bit different.  By all means, ALLOW mods(possibly with restrictions or in a separate category, depending on the nature of the challenge and the mods), but don't require them.

As a mod maker - I think it's awesome to occasionally do this!  It combines a mod-spotlight with a challenge and encourages people to try parts they might not normally have downloaded.   Really...  how hard is it to unzip a folder and delete it three hours later after you've had a fun night trying the challenge?    @linuxgurugamer maintains dozens of mods that have been abandoned by their creators.   He deserves the recognition this thread's giving him!  

And just for perspective... a weekly challenge tailored to our interests was NOT one of the things we were promised when we bought this game. I didn't feel engaged by the last challenge... so didn't get around to doing it.  But I did other stuff in the game...  which is the beauty of this game...  there's so much stuff to do that a lot of different people can find fun in it.  The weekly challenge is Badie suggesting one more idea on that front, but if one doesn't move you..  do something else! :)  

On 5/31/2017 at 3:10 PM, Azimech said:

Most of them don't involve rockets, space stations or shuttles ... or space in general. An increasing amount of members on this forum would like something to do inside the atmosphere or on some kind of surface. If I take a look at KerbalX ... what I see most is not landers, space stations or rockets. It's fighter jets.

Now I know fighters are out of the scope of this product and rightly so. Maybe an efficiency challenge for airplanes?

Even more outlandish: economy challenge for a rover or car with a minimal fuel tank, fuel cell, two science containers and at least 4 kerbals. On Kerbin.  No RTG's or solar panels allowed.

Difficulty involved: weight and aerodynamics. 

Maybe try flying around Kerbin in an airship? I haven't done that before at least, and it's been fun thus far. :)

I'll post my actual entry later and have a finished version of this to show off/pass out - but as a preliminary offering - I didn't see a just immediately obvious way to dock this to stations... so I made a new part!  I've copied the fuselage texture so it will fit in.  If LinuxGuruGamer wants to include it in the actual mod he's welcome to and then he can point it at the existing texture to save download/memory space but I've included it for now in the interest of making it standalone if people needed a docking trunk for other purposes.  

It's just thrown together this afternoon.  Let me know if there are bugs!

b77faa1fd734dc6cd2fd7c1bf28680b9.gif

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3q8VwW68f8AWm52dzh5cGpyRW8

licensewise - the texture inherits CCANSA 4.0 International from the original mod.   My contributions - the model and the .cfg file are public domain and I'll post source files later.

Edited by artwhaley

Explorer STS-1a complete! 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLV9uUGJnZkRjOXM

launched 3 2.5t probes, though they don't have the comms range to be anything but impactors. 

Scoring:

Shuttle=10

Orbit=20

Land with no damage=20 (unless you count the EFT. Separated the main boosters a little early)

7.5 tons of cargo=7.5

57.5 points! 

https://kerbalx.com/53miner53/Explorer

Edited by 53miner53
craft file

1 hour ago, artwhaley said:

I'll post my actual entry later and have a finished version of this to show off/pass out - but as a preliminary offering - I didn't see a just immediately obvious way to dock this to stations... so I made a new part!  I've copied the fuselage texture so it will fit in.  If LinuxGuruGamer wants to include it in the actual mod he's welcome to and then he can point it at the existing texture to save download/memory space but I've included it for now in the interest of making it standalone if people needed a docking trunk for other purposes.  

It's just thrown together this afternoon.  Let me know if there are bugs!

b77faa1fd734dc6cd2fd7c1bf28680b9.gif

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3q8VwW68f8AWm52dzh5cGpyRW8

licensewise - the texture inherits CCANSA 4.0 International from the original mod.   My contributions - the model and the .cfg file are public domain and I'll post source files later.

I love it, will make a great addition to the mod.

3 hours ago, artwhaley said:

As a mod maker - I think it's awesome to occasionally do this!  It combines a mod-spotlight with a challenge and encourages people to try parts they might not normally have downloaded.   Really...  how hard is it to unzip a folder and delete it three hours later after you've had a fun night trying the challenge?    @linuxgurugamer maintains dozens of mods that have been abandoned by their creators.   He deserves the recognition this thread's giving him!  

I agree with artwhaley, this allows new mods to be shown and enjoyed. For example, I think that the mods for the challenge are amazing. I have always wanted to do a shuttle, but the mk3 parts, that are the ones that are closest to actual shuttle parts, are too big for other fuel tanks for the external tanks. But with the mk2.5 parts, now I can actually make a realistic space shuttle with the modular fuel tanks. 

Okay - entry ready.  

I did something pretty basic as far as shuttles go.  No SRBs, just 3 mini vector's behind the shuttle and one full size vector on the external tank stack.   These had plenty of gimbal to allow stable control all the way through the ascent burn.  The external stack was jettisoned and the small tank behind the shuttle gave ~650ms additional delta-V for orbital insertion.  After that the orbital insertion stage was dumped and the onboard tanks gave another ~650m/s for orbital maneuvering, rendezvous, and deorbital burn.   

I deployed a 5.8t probe, didn't recover anything because I didn't have anything to recover in the stripped down install I used for the challenge...  though I did do atmospheric landing tests successfully with up to a 3t payload.  When I tried emergency landing with the 5.8t probe, the nose was too heavy to flare...  so an ATL situation would require a really creative roll, dive, dump payload, negative-G pushover to get clear and then roll back to landing configuration.   Safety margins are not Kerbal.

The docking trunk I built works great, just as it is in the file I linked earlier... so I'll just relink that here.   And post the source .blend as well.   

Docking Trunk Game Part -  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3q8VwW68f8AWm52dzh5cGpyRW8

Docking Trunk .blend file -  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3q8VwW68f8AVHhjOTBOMmpuRXM

Craft File -  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3q8VwW68f8AUUhuYmUxdGUxdWs

And scoring -  

There is a shuttle  +10!

It got to orbit!  +20!

Landed without damage!  +20!

And deployed 5.8T of kargo!  +5!   

Final score - 55!  

It was a fun challenge and I enjoyed playing with parts I'd never thought to download.  The shuttle fills a need I've always had in the game!  And the tanks are gorgeous and useful!   These two mods are staying installed.  

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Maybe try flying around Kerbin in an airship? I haven't done that before at least, and it's been fun thus far. :)

Nice suggestion ... but I like a little bit more speed :-)

2 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

Hrm.

Like the modular tanks, but Mk 2.5 shuttle parts (while nice) didn't play well with my config...

Could be because I'm running 1.2.2, still.

-Jn-

I ran 1.2.2, and it worked almost fine. My parts list didn't switch when I clicked the buttons, but I used the sorting to make it update. I have a lot of parts mods though.

6 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

I ran 1.2.2, and it worked almost fine. My parts list didn't switch when I clicked the buttons, but I used the sorting to make it update. I have a lot of parts mods though.

Not really blaming the mod - it is in beta and I'm running about three dozen other mods.

Was acting hinkey -- once I removed Mk2.5 it is fine (other than my module manager looks jacked up, usually a bad sign!) so hopefully I don't have to manually reinstall it all. :/

But hey, running lots of mods is a bit like Russian roulette.

-Jn-

Guess I don't mind a mod-part challenge...  kinda shows a supportive attitude for the modding community.  Which is always a good thing.

At first I was like, "oh OK, one of these cockpits is a 2.5 cockpit, hmmm... which is it?"  and then I was like, "Ohhhhhh  ...OK"

Don't particularly care for "Endeavor" plastered on the side of everything though...  and the graphics don't seem to be on par with the stock skins.  I do really like the ventral flatness of the fuselage parts though!  Feels a lot more shuttle-ish in my opinion.

I got little lazy with my entry. Just built a shuttle looking thing and stuck it on the side of a rocket. Also didn't do a great job landing, but hey, anything you can walk away from right?

Might put some more effort into a Mk3 shuttle, since that size can actually carry decently sized station modules. Don't get me wrong, the 2.5m shuttle parts are cool, but most of my payloads are either too large for it, or small enough that the 2.5m shuttle isn't really justified. Maybe if I had 2m parts or procedural tanks...

Looks like I get

Make a shuttle or SSTO - 10 points

Get to orbit - 20 points

Land with all crew members alive with damage - 10 points

So that's 40 points.

Might redo this, didn't notice I had to deploy the payload. Also not too proud of the craft.

btw What does "Brought x K of cargo to orbit (cargo must be deployed) – 1 points for each x"

mean exactly? Is K a metric ton or something? Answered by LinuxGuru :)

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
:)

Sorry, I did not quite understand:

"to build a shuttle/winged orbiter or SSTO" "The orbiter must be lifted into space by a Launch System that decouples or un-docks once expended, allowing the Orbiter to land entirely under it's own power."

SSTO and decoupled LS? But HOW? is SSTO means single stage to orbit? single = not decoupled engines= not decoupled launch system?

I ask about it because I build 2.5. parts +stock ssto what carries 2 part payload (aka 10km/s dv ion deep space manned spaceship). But Is my SSTO (not spaceship) good for this challenge? If good enough I can build video of flight, if not - please tell where is my misunderstanding...

79ff87c38dc0.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED

video here (sorry some mistakes in description text because did it at deep night...):

and i made a better energy system for ion spaceship (but lost 1-2 km dV, now 9 km dV if decouple unnecessary empty xenon tanks at right time

Looks like it 55.5 points

50 for flight, 5.5 for 5.5 tonn ion spaceship (i can do heavyer, but dont want in my kerbal space program at this time)

craft file here (if someone want it) http://dropmefiles.com/cr1ZB

Edited by *MajorTom*

8 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

Hrm.

Like the modular tanks, but Mk 2.5 shuttle parts (while nice) didn't play well with my config...

Could be because I'm running 1.2.2, still.

-Jn-

Check your directories.  The munar file had a copy of the modulemanager dll there, i removed it today

45 minutes ago, *MajorTom* said:

Sorry, I did not quite understand:

"to build a shuttle/winged orbiter or SSTO" "The orbiter must be lifted into space by a Launch System that decouples or un-docks once expended, allowing the Orbiter to land entirely under it's own power."

SSTO and decoupled LS? But HOW? is SSTO means single stage to orbit? single = not decoupled engines= not decoupled launch system?

I ask about it because I build 2.5. parts +stock ssto what carries 2 part payload (aka 10km/s dv ion deep space manned spaceship). But Is my SSTO (not spaceship) good for this challenge? If good enough I can build video of flight, if not - please tell where is my misunderstanding...

6a8b62408914.png

79ff87c38dc0.png

297322ff5a11.png

Either an SSTO or a traditional shuttle

5 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

btw @Badie What does "Brought x K of cargo to orbit (cargo must be deployed) – 1 points for each x"

mean exactly? Is K a metric ton or something?

K is 1000, so yes, a metric ton

I made this small shuttle for my KSP Weekly translation, just to have something in background, but despite being made in urge and haste, it flew well, so I'm posting no-voice version here.

Rocket is completely stock, Shuttle is Mk 2.5. It can have up to 7 kerbals in Crew. No Docking. It has 700 kg sattlelite in cargo bay to be "useful". Landing is completely Kerbal.

KSP 1.2.2 used.

Be inspired to build bigger and more powerful shuttles :)

Craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tx0atqsavqcqcm3/SLS-Shuttle.craft?dl=0

Ascent: it is quite stable flying as is, doing gravity-like turn on its own. When solid fuel runs out, you have to flip it upside down (shuttle up) and tune thrust on rocket engine down to maybe 65-75 to go almost horizontal.

Edited by ThirdOfSeven
craft file added

46 minutes ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

I made this small shuttle for my KSP Weekly translation, just to have something in background, but despite being made in urge and haste, it flew well, so I'm posting no-voice version here.

Rocket is completely stock, Shuttle is Mk 2.5. It can have up to 7 kerbals in Crew. No Docking. It has 700 kg sattlelite in cargo bay to be "useful". Landing is completely Kerbal.

KSP 1.2.2 used.

e inspired to build bigger and more powerful shuttles :)

Looks like you used the larger wings?

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks like you used the larger wings?

Yes, smaller ones look too small for a shuttle. Also I noted even such big wings are not enough big to make it good it "gliding", but it is normal for such aircrafts, made for high-speed landings (which I failed to do :)). Making this spaceplane fly was not that easy, by the way, cause bottom wings make CoM higher then CoL and it was struggling to flip upside down until I put couple of SAS wheels in cargo bay.

1 minute ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

Yes, smaller ones look too small for a shuttle. Also I noted even such big wings are not enough big to make it good it "gliding", but it is normal for such aircrafts, made for high-speed landings (which I failed to do :)). Making this spaceplane fly was not that easy, by the way, cause bottom wings make CoM higher then CoL and it was struggling to flip upside down until I put couple of SAS wheels in cargo bay.

You should try the smaller wings.  Could be the big wings are generating too much lift

Here is my entry. This was an accidental success. Grabbed a few pics along the way not expecting to use them. I did not have a payload as this was just a test. I'll try again later fully loaded. Started with MJ on but things went sideways (literally) in a hurry and I had to manually wrestle through the thick atmosphere. Not sure where the flaw is in my design. Also the landing was intense. Ran out of fuel. Had to bank hard to the south and set it down in the mountains. The ship and crew survived without damage and that what counts -right?

Craft File: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=83695236113305435675

vH6kDAf.jpg

C50Y4CL.jpg

CchRhjA.jpg

VxYBsXT.jpg

NKOgfsh.jpg

=========================================================================================================================

EDIT:

I still can't get the gimbal balanced correctly. Once the TWR climbs with the solid boosters the craft begins to roll kind of violently back and forth. Eventually it smooths out. I have fuel left over once in orbit even if the ascent is horribly wasteful. 

I launched again with 5.5k ton of payload.

BHgDTy3.jpg

Released into orbit.

D8N70FI.jpg

Then brought it back to the surface. Had to ditch in the ocean because reasons. Point is, everyone made it back in one piece.

58xOdSt.jpg

I did not upload the craft file with the payload.

Edited by Red Shirt
added payload attempt

I'm happy with my current set of mods, but the Mk 2.5 Space Plane Parts and Munar Industries - Modular Fuel Tank Expansion mods are very nice and a good fit for the XS-1 Phantom Express replica I wanted to create:

aMZbHPH.png

Although we're required to have at least one Kerbal aboard, the XS-1 isn't intended for crewed flight. So, I've made the payload a crewed science mission to the Mun with one Kerbal on board:

o4jGoZa.png

The real XS-1 is rated for a payload of about 1,400 kg to LEO. This payload is 2,300 kg and the I8-2-XS could handle a bit more:

Jkxlx6z.png

Approaching the edge of space:

siAxM2A.png

Fairings ejected, the payload's antenna and solar panels deploy:

tbLjB7v.png

Payload separation after orbit circularization:

SFoLwJ8.png

The science mission to the Mun begins:

YlCy3gq.png

Meanwhile (after a reload to pre-launch), the reuseable spaceplane portion returns to Kerbin:

uhmWJng.png

Approaching runway:

jOwC6ls.png

... and landing:

Oy9oytD.png

The I8-2-XS Fajita Express is ready for immediate reuse:

71Xs4He.png

So:

• Built a shuttle - 10 points
  • Reached orbit - 20 points
  • Landed without damage, all Kerbals survived - well, technically true, but no points for this
  • Brought 2.3 tonnes of cargo to orbit and deployed - 2.3 points

for a big total of 32.3 points. Here's the craft file:

minimal_sph_half.png

Edited by Tinty Moce Fowt
Colons for Clarity

Well I've sucessfully completed my first challange.. sort of. I learned I don't like being constraind to certian parts, and scatter creeps up on you. This was exausting by the end but I only gave myself a few days to do it.

Fist off the album:

780Y29o.jpg

No idea if the embed link works we'll find out..... nope we'll try this one!

Endurance launch

Shuttle 10pts.

orbit     20pts.  (is kerbo stationary extra credit?)

overshot the landing, spashed  10pts. ( 2nd atempt first was at night. Still haven't got my lighting down to manage that!)

launched 3 comsats... at once! 3pts

Mods used: (hint they are on the ship nascar style)

Munar industries

mk 2.5 shuttle

MK 2 expansion (OMS and RCS)

nebula decals (Stickers!) / handrails

DK Salvage (The cargo bay is the reason I wanted to do the challange.)

LE Tech (ladders)

Navigation lights

surface lights

Thats all I puprosly used something else my have snuck in. I did resize some landing gear, thought that'd be ok considering the engines and wings already resized in the mod. Going to share those with Linuxgamer. I don't know how to share  my craft, and I'll have to clean her up a bit. This was her first flight, I need to fix the booster/tank seperation, I fogot action groups and brakes would have been nice. But she's a tough ship.

The guy who does the mk2/3 expansion should give linuxgamer a hand updating this to current spec/art. They almost mesh as they are now and it wouldn't be hard to make all three mods work well together. Some parts are sorly missing. (docking port, Reaction wheel. wasted spaces.) but The Mod has good bones.

Edited by snkiz
Stupid imgur

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.