The whole solar system! [drawings] [You can participate]

cratercracker

19 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

It depends on pigmentation and atmosphere of the planet.

U are playing g 2much SE 

I am speaking the truth. However, the purple and blue leaves are a guess. Leaves around stars like trappist 1 would be black because they would absorb infrared. Trappist 1 puts out a lot more Infrared then visible light. Here's a link to what I am talking about. https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2007/spectrum_plants.html

Edited by Cabbink
Link

5 minutes ago, Cabbink said:

I am speaking the truth. However, the purple and blue leaves are a guess. Leaves around stars like trappist 1 would be black because they would absorb infrared. Trappist 1 puts out a lot more Infrared then visible light. Here's a link to what I am talking about. https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2007/spectrum_plants.html

K

Fair enough 

(your are right on purple leaves, they do exist on our planet, they even were the first color of earth's plants, the pigmentation element is Retinol)

Edited by cratercracker

I looked over the NASA paper again, and generally,  plants with bigger stars will go lower on the micron specturm (left). So F type stars (1-1.4 solar masses) have bluish purple plants, G(our star) and K(0.65-1) are green-Yellow, and anything bellow usually are red and IR.

Edited by Cabbink

1 hour ago, Cabbink said:

It depends on the star. Sun like star plants will be more green while red dwarfs will have black or DARK red planets, given the power luminosity. Higher strength stars will give out more UV and less IR. A bigger star will have blue, purple, and white-purple plants.

Leaf key:

Red dwarf: black and red plants

Orange Dwarf: red, Orange, yellow, a little green

Yellow dwarf: green plants, like earth

Yellow-white dwarf: green & some blue?

White dwarf: mainly blue, a little purple and green

Blue dwarf and above: purple and blue

Plants around dimmer stars would use darker pigments. This means that your list would kind of be reversed. Very small stars would result in almost black plants, maybe dark blue or purple. Stars similar in size to Gliese 581 would be a bit different. They could have plant colors from purple to blue to minty. It all depends on how much light a planet would receive from its parent. High stellar flux planets would have brighter plants than on low flux worlds. For Zarmina, I decided to pick a color between the normal blue color for an intermediate red dwarf and the green color of larger stars. Speaking of which, planets around orange and yellow dwarfs would have dark to light green plant life. F-type and larger stars may result in yellow, orange, or red plants. Keep in mind that red plants (albeit darker ones) could evolve in a red dwarf system.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Cabbink.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

173119main_graph_spectrum_lg.jpg

You can see in the picture from the NASA article plants around M dwarfs will take in more power from higher microns (aka Lower wavelength). Earth has it's highest point around yellow to red, and since clorophyl reflects more green and Blue, we get green leaves. Essentially subtract 0.1 microns for true color.

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Plants around dimmer stars would use darker pigments. This means that your list would kind of be reversed. Very small stars would result in almost black plants, maybe dark blue or purple. Stars similar in size to Gliese 581 would be a bit different. They could have plant colors from purple to blue to minty. It all depends on how much light a planet would receive from its parent. High stellar flux planets would have brighter plants than on low flux worlds. For Zarmina, I decided to pick a color between the normal blue color for an intermediate red dwarf and the green color of larger stars. Speaking of which, planets around orange and yellow dwarfs would have dark to light green plant life. F-type and larger stars may result in yellow, orange, or red plants. Keep in mind that red plants (albeit darker ones) could evolve in a red dwarf system.

Actually, they should be a black or dark red. The star likely, within reference with the graph, puts out more Infrared and very high end microwaves. Expect black or blood red forests.

I just need to add the rest of the craters.

I have 2 days of traveling left before I get home, so I should be able to finish rhea and start on Hygeia.

I am writing this from a hotel in Scranton, PA

Edited by DeltaDizzy

4 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Really? 

*cough*

My VERY WIP rhea:

IT ISN'T FINISHED YET.

I used paint.net

CR2obvO.png

I use a shooty-ask duck ton of plugins for PDN though. Plus I used some techniques I learned over the years. Rhea looks nice!

Edited by Adstriduum

8 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Really? 

*cough*

My VERY WIP rhea:

IT ISN'T FINISHED YET.

I used paint.net

CR2obvO.png

Looks really promising, a big step-up from your past drawings.

10 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

Taking inspiration from @cratercracker and @cubinator, I present to you... Jupiter!

pcjnhLV.png

I'm really proud of this!

That was sudden.

BUT THIS IS AWESOME!

YOU ALL ARE SOME REALLY SICK PEOPLE, I AM OUT OF THIS FORUM WITHOUT PANTS ON A ROFLCOPTER

9 hours ago, Cabbink said:

Young Tartarus(EPIC 220395236 b) Is Complete, With A Thick, Soupy Atmosphere, to Heat It Up even More. It Even has a Gas Trail! I can Some Other Time Create a Older, more recent Tartarus. The Star You can see is just a nearby Star. The Back Side Is Glowing.

d5RZA63.png

http://i.imgur.com/d5RZA63.png

Looks really nice!

Maybe you will add it to Wikipedia? It looks fair enough.

4 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Looks really nice!

Maybe you will add it to Wikipedia? It looks fair enough.

Lol thanks. Each planet takes about a hour to a hour and 30 minutes to make. However, I luckily noticed a mistake before posting. I was trying to make a nebula background, and I ended up messing up young tartarus. I had to press info an uncountable amount of times. 

I have found quite an easy way to make gas giant color maps using GIMP. 

1. Open GIMP (duh)

2. Open or create a HD image (I used 1920*1080)

3. Go to Filters>Nature>Difference Clouds.

4. In the menu, Change the scale to 0.5 on Y, and set X to about 9-10.

5. Use the difference clouds filter

6. Go to Color>Colorize and choose your gas giant color.

7.(optional) Go to Filter>Map>Map object and choose Sphere as mapped object. Tweak to how you like.

Enjoy your new Gas Giant!

5 hours ago, cratercracker said:

<snip>

That was sudden.

BUT THIS IS AWESOME!

YOU ALL ARE SOME REALLY SICK PEOPLE, I AM OUT OF THIS FORUM WITHOUT PANTS ON A ROFLCOPTER

<snip>

Thank you! I am away at the moment, but next I might make a dwarf planet like Haumea, or maybe an exoplanet.

1 minute ago, Adstriduum said:

Thank you! I am away at the moment, but next I might make a dwarf planet like Haumea, or maybe an exoplanet.

I recommend a exoplanet, since you won't be limited to what you can make. However, you do need to find a exoplanet to draw first .

2 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Don't forget that there is me and those exoplanet experts, we all can help you with finding something to draw.

I was going to do the whole TRAPPIST-1 system, and 51 Pegasi b... or maybe 20000 Varuna :)

Edited by Adstriduum

1 minute ago, Adstriduum said:

I was going to do the whole TRAPPIST-1 system, and 51 Pegasi b :)

Good choice.

When you will be done doing exoplanets, PM me, (you actually should have PMed me first, I like to keep contact with the participants)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.