The whole solar system! [drawings] [You can participate]

cratercracker

43 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Wasn't 581g disproven like 581f?

Yes and no. As Cabbink said, 581f was proven to be an artifact of stellar activity - which sucks. Zarmina remained rather dubious because the HARPS team could not find the planet after removing stellar noise. However, the Lick-Carnegie team still has a good amount of evidence for its existence. A study that came out a few years later officially killed 581f and seemed to prove Zarmina's existence. But of course something had to go wrong, and literally just ONE year later a rather pessimistic study claimed that both Zarmina and 581d were false positives. As you may guess that caused quite a ruckus. Finally, in 2014, a much better study came out and said that both Zarmina and 581d could exist - it depended on the eccentricity of the latter. 

The whole Gliese 581 controversy is one of the sorest topics in the exoplaneteer community. It didn't help that the discovery of the system broke up Geoff Marcy's famed group of scientists, and that a year after the 2014 study Marcy was found guilty of...immoral acts...and was forced to resign from Berkeley University.

Long story short: Gliese 581 is a huge mess.

16 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Can we have that thing the New Horizons is flying to? Pls?

N0?

I think there will be some very nice drawings of 2014 MU69 on January 2, 2019...:sticktongue:

Edited by cubinator

16 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I think there will be some very nice drawings of 2014 MU69 on January 2, 2019...:sticktongue:

M8!

I'm an I-don't-even-know-what-the-heck I am even drawing expert.

I drew Varuna...

I drew all those Kuiper belt thingys.

I it is clearly possible to draw something.

Just think of it  as a reddish blob thing.

21 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

M8!

I'm an I-don't-even-know-what-the-heck I am even drawing expert.

I drew Varuna...

I drew all those Kuiper belt thingys.

I it is clearly possible to draw something.

Just think of it  as a reddish blob thing.

I know, I know. I'll maybe think of something later. Right now I'm almost done with a planet that should be very familiar to all of us.

Earth, revisited:

o475h3j.png

2 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

R.I.P this thread.

What do you mean? It's been a day since the last drawing. I've gone weeks without a new drawing, and without any posts in my thread, and it wasn't dead. This is nothing.

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

What do you mean? It's been a day since the last drawing. I've gone weeks without a new drawing, and without any posts in my thread, and it wasn't dead. This is nothing.

True. I HAVE seen alive threads and the last post was a month ago. 1 day is nothing.

28 minutes ago, cubinator said:

2014 MU69:

ZQnHcEV.png

Great New Horizons though.

I think we need some time to return to solar system, I am going to add a small list of things we can do.

I enjoyed exploring exoplanets with you! I honestly, didn't know a think about them, thank you.

In reward, I am going to add some bio on you, because I know that greatest feeling when someone is telling good things about you in the public, 

17 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Earth's quasi satellite. (I forgot it's name, sorry)

The L4 trojan, 433 Eros? There are several other objects orbiting the Sun in a 1:1 resonance with Earth, too.

Edited by cubinator

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

The trojan, 433 Eros?

No. A Trojan and a Quasi satelite are different. Trojans fly in the lagrange Point L4(In front).  Earth's Quasi take the same time to orbit(Roughly), and occasionaly orbits us and then ejects back to it's orbit. 433 Eros Flies in front.

1 minute ago, Cabbink said:

No. A Trojan and a Quasi satelite are different. Trojans fly in the lagrange Point L4(In front).  Earth's Quasi take the same time to orbit(Roughly), and occasionaly orbits us and then ejects back to it's orbit. 433 Eros Flies in front.

I see. Well, Cruithne seems to be the most well-known quasi-satellite of Earth, considering it has a name where the others have only a designation.

Another few things:

Bee-Zed (retrograde orbit thing)

Pallas (huuuge asteroid)

Iokaste (Jupiter's outer retrograde moon)

Planet 9 (I know it probably doesn't exist, but whatever, I would like if it was a gas giant, thinking of it as a very big ball of ice, would be realistic, but disappointing)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.