The whole solar system! [drawings] [You can participate]

cratercracker

20 minutes ago, Cabbink said:

LNo Way Am I Done With the Banner, But here is Mercury, Venus, And Luna(The Moon)!

Reveal hidden contents

6IXlukN.pngyIlbtNl.pngwwnG9Aa.png

The time it will take you to make the whole banner, is the same if you had to go to Alfa Centauri by a bicycle.

I really hope that I am just kidding.

Just now, cratercracker said:

The time it will take you to make the whole banner, is the same if you had to go to Alfa Centauri by a bicycle.

I really hope that I am just kidding.

Im Not Doing every object, so it should be okay. An Since the objects are not procedural, it will be very easy.

6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Work in progress HAT-P-22Ab:

6H9pHbH.png

Tomorrow I need to continue trying to add a working shadow to this planet. Even with @The White Guardian's tutorial, I just can't seem to trim out the parts that go off the planet without screwing things up. But it does look quite nice for what it is as of now.

Looks very nice!

6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Work in progress HAT-P-22Ab:

6H9pHbH.png

Tomorrow I need to continue trying to add a working shadow to this planet. Even with @The White Guardian's tutorial, I just can't seem to trim out the parts that go off the planet without screwing things up. But it does look quite nice for what it is as of now.

Work on a separate layer on op of the one you are working on, make a large circle covering a corner of your planet, then blur it out. I use a general rule of thumb, using a factor calculated like this:

f = i/10

Where f is the factor for the gaussian blur, and i is the average image resolution.

Next, copy this shadow onto the layer mask of the layer responsible for your planet's atmosphere rim, move the original 'shadow layer' under the rim layer, and select the transparency around your planet before deleting the shadow outside of the planet.

@cratercracker Interesting thread, though what is this thread exactly? :o

Edited by The White Guardian

37 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@cratercracker Interesting thread, though what is this thread exactly? :o

Edited 28 minutes ago by The White Guardian

It's a thread for modelists, artists and soon writers to share art on solar system.

The idea of the project separates into 3 parts:

1.People who draw, usually look at Wikipedia, or Spaceengine. Probably learn about it a lot, get their knowledge and maybe even share it! 

2. Artists learn new techniques, tricks and ways to draw a particular object. That is always useful in their future. 

3. People who don't want to look though Wikipedia searching for every object, can just look it up here. Here they can find pictures of objects, so now they can at least imagine what those objects are. Soon I am going to find some ppl to make a text for all those objects.

That is mostly it.

3 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

If I converted this into money it would be a small loan of a million dollars.

See, I've never understood how art is priced. Some artists charge a ton of money for a few polygons, and if they're famous it can be literally millions of dollars however physically complex the piece is, but others simply give away for free art that's just as good, like on this and many other game forums. It seems really inconsistent.

Me, I like my art and I enjoy sharing it and my ideas about it, no matter the price.

3 minutes ago, cubinator said:

See, I've never understood how art is priced. Some artists charge a ton of money for a few polygons, and if they're famous it can be literally millions of dollars however physically complex the piece is, but others simply give away for free art that's just as good, like on this and many other game forums. It seems really inconsistent.

Me, I like my art and I enjoy sharing it and my ideas about it, no matter the price.

I cant agree more. I really like sharing my art and ideas too, but money is a thing that never matters for me.

Okay, so technically this isn't a real object, but I wanted to include it here. Say hello to Mikrogi, a moon I'm developing for Interstellar Adventure Revived version 1.3.0. It orbits the exoplanet HD 219134 g (Atmisgi) and is the second moon around that specific planet. While the actual moon stopped working for absolutely NO reason whatsoever, I had already made its texture maps, so I decided to use @The White Guardian's GIMP tutorials to make an image of it.

yBuHDuVg.png

I was finally able to get the shadow to work. To do so, I did a slightly different method...

1. On a layer named "Shadow", I plopped a giant black dot on the planet using the pen tool.
  2. One click of the eraser tool (using a slightly larger brush) removes the part I don't want.
  3. I mess around with the opacity until I get something I like.
  4. The Gaussian Blur option is used to get something realistic.
  5. Zoomed in, I use a tiny pen for the eraser tool to carefully separate the shadow on the planet for the parts that are off of the planet.
  6. Once that is done, I use a larger sized pen to erase the rest of the non-planet shadow.
  7. Finally, I zoom back in to use the "smudge" tool to cover up the parts of the shadow I accidentally erased. It works VERY well in touching it up.

While that method seems quite tedious, it actually isn't and pays off very well in the end. I'd have to say that this image of Mikrogi is my all-time BEST planet drawing with GIMP so far.

@cratercracker if you're going to put this in the OP, I recommend designating Mikrogi as "HD 219134 g II", since it is the second moon of HD 219134 g.

4 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Okay, so technically this isn't a real object, but I wanted to include it here. Say hello to Mikrogi, a moon I'm developing for Interstellar Adventure Revived version 1.3.0. It orbits the exoplanet HD 219134 g (Atmisgi) and is the second moon around that specific planet. While the actual moon stopped working for absolutely NO reason whatsoever, I had already made its texture maps, so I decided to use @The White Guardian's GIMP tutorials to make an image of it.

yBuHDuVg.png

I was finally able to get the shadow to work. To do so, I did a slightly different method...

1. On a layer named "Shadow", I plopped a giant black dot on the planet using the pen tool.
  2. One click of the eraser tool (using a slightly larger brush) removes the part I don't want.
  3. I mess around with the opacity until I get something I like.
  4. The Gaussian Blur option is used to get something realistic.
  5. Zoomed in, I use a tiny pen for the eraser tool to carefully separate the shadow on the planet for the parts that are off of the planet.
  6. Once that is done, I use a larger sized pen to erase the rest of the non-planet shadow.
  7. Finally, I zoom back in to use the "smudge" tool to cover up the parts of the shadow I accidentally erased. It works VERY well in touching it up.

While that method seems quite tedious, it actually isn't and pays off very well in the end. I'd have to say that this image of Mikrogi is my all-time BEST planet drawing with GIMP so far.

@cratercracker if you're going to put this in the OP, I recommend designating Mikrogi as "HD 219134 g II", since it is the second moon of HD 219134 g.

Looks Really Nice. I recomend building the planet from the ground up. could be some odd thing in coding or the textures.

Okay, time for some REAL-LIFE planet renditions. I present to you EPIC 212343667, a red dwarf with three dwarf planets. I've been hesitant to report this discovery, done in collaboration with Vidar, because of how three potential extrasolar dwarf planets would light the forums on fire. But now here they are. I may do an in-depth report of the system when I get the chance. The image shown below is a composite of five drawings I made: the host star, all three (dwarf) planet candidates, and a fictional moon for the last candidate just for more eye candy. The individual drawings are in the spoiler tab below. This is my first ever extrasolar system "collage", so not everything is going to be as good as it will in the future.

6LT0rKg.png

Spoiler

Candidate 01:

wfeOmXE.png

Candidate 02: 

DO2wkkA.png

Candidate 03: 

s22wqSH.png

Moon for Candidate 03: 

ktuaCPj.png

Host star EPIC 212343667:

s9BL09G.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.