The whole solar system! [drawings] [You can participate]

cratercracker

Finally completed my rendition of Kepler-1625b with its giant moon. I'm going with the star size model that would make the planet a 6 Earth radius gas giant and the moon a 2 Re ocean world. Sizes are to-scale with each other (the moon is about 1/3rd the size of Kepler-1625b).

rCXSddD.png

Individual image of Kepler-1625b I in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

kAOhG1U.png

The image of Kepler-1625b I was made with two separate images.The first was a plain blue color map (because its an ocean world), while the second was a cloud map made using the "Fog" tool in GIMP (Filter -> Render -> Clouds -> Fog). During the process of making these spheres I put the cloud map over the color map. Keep in mind that the cloud map had many clear areas. Once they were all spheres, I merged the two layers together, then proceeded to work on the glow/haze, background, and shadow. I'll probably use this same cloud-making method for future terrestrial and ocean planets.

10 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Finally completed my rendition of Kepler-1625b with its giant moon. I'm going with the star size model that would make the planet a 6 Earth radius gas giant and the moon a 2 Re ocean world. Sizes are to-scale with each other (the moon is about 1/3rd the size of Kepler-1625b).

rCXSddD.png

Individual image of Kepler-1625b I in the spoiler below.

Reveal hidden contents

kAOhG1U.png

The image of Kepler-1625b I was made with two separate images.The first was a plain blue color map (because its an ocean world), while the second was a cloud map made using the "Fog" tool in GIMP (Filter -> Render -> Clouds -> Fog). During the process of making these spheres I put the cloud map over the color map. Keep in mind that the cloud map had many clear areas. Once they were all spheres, I merged the two layers together, then proceeded to work on the glow/haze, background, and shadow. I'll probably use this same cloud-making method for future terrestrial and ocean planets.

Very nice! But you forgot Layt-*cough* the moon's land! :P

13 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

Venus

BTiUuWG.png

Hey what are those glowing spots on venus?

4 hours ago, cratercracker said:

@ProtoJeb21, @Cabbink, how soon can we see you collab?

I am preparing something big for you! Would be nice if you could make it before the end of the month!

I think I have a pre-made Saturn i can shrink down. I can create a stary background to go along with it. I am not sure, however, if I can finish it by the end of the month.

Edited by Cabbink

I am just praying for something that is soon going to happen, or not.

I really wanted to make a present for all of you, all of you did well.

If that is not going to happen, I will giveaway special pictures, and start a little other project you will like.

4 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

pretty close, working on the rings now

love that alien reference in your title btw

That is not really an Alien reference.

In hotline miami 2; wrong number there was a chapter called "Acid Spit" you were supposed to rush into a bank, kill everyone and steal money, i remember it quite clearly.

Starting a new set of renditions for the EPIC 220221272 system as a way to commemorate the discovery of a potential SIXTH candidate. So far I have the first two done, made using custom SE textures and @The White Guardian's planet image creation methods. The colors of the planets in the final images have been heavily altered from the maps they were made from.

EPIC 220221272b:

sIqiNh0.png

EPIC 220221272c:

b47EhLb.png

If anyone's wondering why there's no shading, its because I'm going to put all of the six finished images into one huge banner for the system. No shadows means less stuff to get rid of before putting an individual image into the group banner.

5 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Starting a new set of renditions for the EPIC 220221272 system as a way to commemorate the discovery of a potential SIXTH candidate. So far I have the first two done, made using custom SE textures and @The White Guardian's planet image creation methods. The colors of the planets in the final images have been heavily altered from the maps they were made from.

EPIC 220221272b:

sIqiNh0.png

EPIC 220221272c:

b47EhLb.png

If anyone's wondering why there's no shading, its because I'm going to put all of the six finished images into one huge banner for the system. No shadows means less stuff to get rid of before putting an individual image into the group banner.

That is very high quality! Good job!

Work-in progress banner for the EPIC 220221272 system:

tYOuEPs.png

After putting all the individual images together, I realized that I'm going to have to re-do certain features on the four outer planets. C02 need better clouds, I want C05's clouds to be more Venus-like, C01 needs a giant front-side cyclone, and C06 may need a completely new set of textures (its bump map isn't working quite right). But for now, I have this.

BTW all the planets are to-scale with each other.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

@cratercracker @Cabbink

Finally, I managed to complete a 3500x2000 banner for the ENTIRE EPIC 220221272 system. There's been a lot of changes from the previous version I posted a few hours ago. C03 (the first one) had to be re-implemented due to a resolution error last time. It's much higher-res this time. C04 stayed the same, but planets C02, C05, and C01 got completely new clouds, courtesy of Space Engine. The last major change is itty-bitty C06, which had to be completely redone due to its bump/normal map (whatever you want to call it) not creating proper 3-D effects. That has been fixed this time. The only thing that remains the same about this planet is the basic concept design and the cloud map. In addition, proper shadows were added to each planet.

y1qUbob.png

Now, for anyone who wants to know, here are the ideas and inspirations behind each planet design.

• C03 (EPIC 220221272 b) is the innermost planet but is stuck in an orbit and size range where, depending on the amount of tidal friction received, most geologic activity would probably stop. It is also too cold for rocks even on the front side to melt. I decided to make C03 as almost a larger version of Mars with signs of some tidal friction due to its close orbit, similar to my original image. However, during the complicated process of finding the right colors, I ended up making an almost geologically dead world that looks like a Mars-Venus hybrid, in terms of terrain. It still retains dark lowlands, but much of its topography is in the lighter regions, which are actually enormous ridges.
  • C04 (EPIC 220221272 c) also sits within the "potentially dead zone" (wow what a great name :P). This time, it seemed to me that there wasn't enough tidal forces to make this 0.91 Re planet have substantial geologic activity. Like with the original 2-D image, I designed C04 as a dead planet similar to Mercury. The color scheme is actually quite similar, with a both topographical and random dispersion of different shades of grey. I also kept the general surface features similar, putting more focus on large impact basins and creating less small craters. A thin haze was also given to show a very, VERY thin atmosphere.
  • C02 (EPIC 220221272 d) stays as close as I could get it to the original 2-D representation. My half hour-long coloring/texturing process for this planet (which was incredibly tedious and annoying) led me to interesting color pallets that still were similar to that of Mars but with a more unique look. A Mars-like mixture of red-orange deserts and dark orange/dark grey basalt flows were included, along with huge volcanoes. I couldn't get these ones to look like they were erupting, which is disappointing. However, the rest of the surface makes up for it. I also gave C02 some cloud cover. I decided not to use a front-side cyclone on this planet and C05 because to me, it looks rather generic and limits what cool weather patterns I can make on an alien planet.
  • C05 (EPIC 220221272 e) is still a Super-Venus from its 2-D representation. This planet orbits in a region that gives it a similar stellar flux to Venus. Taking into account that the planets of this system likely migrated inwards, it seems likely that C05 once had a lot of water that evaporated into a thick atmosphere before tidal forces from C01 began to heat it up even more. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to create a texture with a huge equatorial lava sea, but I was able to make an evil-looking surface with blood red lava oceans and incredibly dark continents coated in volcanic rock. Like C03 and C02, it shows signs of tidal friction and incredible geologic activity, as evident by the large mountain ranges/ridges and several enormous volcanoes. Also similar to C02, I did not give it a front-side cyclone typical of tidally locked planets. Instead, I chose to give it thick banded clouds similar to those of Venus.
  • C01 (EPIC 220221272 f) has been an interesting case for potential habitability ever since it was first found. Its equilibrium temperature of 298*K meant that it was VERY close to possibly becoming a Venus-like planet, which makes things look rather dour for the planet. However, I didn't want to give up on this world, as there are ways it can easily keep its climate stable. The easiest is with a huge front-side cyclone of reflective water vapor clouds, which would prevent too much heat from reaching the surface. I decided to incorporate that into my representation, but I also realized that this anti-greenhouse effect won't cool down the planet to Earth-like temperatures. Instead, the climate may very well be like the deserts of Africa. I made the sunlit side a mix of yellow-orange and grey deserts, with darker regions closer to the ice cap and many deep, small lakes scattered about. No plant life was implemented to give the look of a terra-class planet on the brink of habitability.
  • C06 (EPIC 220221272 g) is the smallest and most promising planet of the system, which actually made it the easiest to formulate a texture idea for. At just three-quarters the size of Earth yet receiving the same amount of sunlight, I believed that C06 would probably have large oceans of liquid water, but not so much that there's more of it than actual land. Many of these large seas are present and scattered about, with one being inside a large impact basin. The topography of the planet was designed to be desert-like with several rugged, mountainous areas showing the presence of an active interior. Combined gravitational forces from the star and all five inner planets would pull at C06 all at once when the planets line up, heating up the core to habitability-friendly levels and keeping this small world alive. While I gave it a front-side cyclone like C01, its possible that C06 may be in a spin-orbit resonance like Mercury, which would probably lead to banded cloud cover.
Edited by ProtoJeb21

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.