The whole solar system! [drawings] [You can participate]

cratercracker

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Adstriduum said:

I'd like to see this somewhat active again.

Who knows.

I suppose this counts:

lbqhj4q.png

Got any suggestions for software to color this with an acrylic/oil style? OneNote is smooth with the pen, but otherwise I wouldn't call it a real drawing program...

I also have an image of planets colliding in my head that's been there quite a while, maybe I can do it justice soon...

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

You sure that's procedural? :0.0:

Looks great!

Thanks!!  The node tree looks like a spaghetti mess but it works.

tZmw3Dk.png

Basic breakdown:

To the very left is the workhorse of it all that generates the planetary noise.  It uses a few sliders to adjust the land size and the amount of 'water' goes into ocean areas, it also serves as the main mask between water and land.  Now as we stack things up in the center portion we add various parts to the planets.  More land and sea controls at the bottom.  Above that is where we can add 'rivers' or cracks in the planet that we can constrain to only land areas.  Next comes craters, icecaps, and finally the ability to add city lights to the dark side areas. Colors, roughness and bump information sits in the center section.  All that gets plugged into some basic shaders on the right and finally to the material output. shew!

This would be the Mk 1 version of the node tree that I created by following along with a tutorial.  My newer one is a vast improvement as I've fixed the craters to be more prominent if I want them to be and added more biomes to the land areas.  How they did the night light masking is a bit dated and I updated that to work for animation in case I want to have fun with my planetary creator in the future.

To do : Set this all up to bake textures out of the procedural portion.  Just need to add some image textures plugged into various points and I'll be able to pump out diffuse, glossy, height, normal, and roughness maps of every planet.  Would be fun to see some of these creations show up as planets in KSP.

edit: clouds and atmosphere are on separate layers.

Edited by esinohio

7 hours ago, esinohio said:

Thanks!!  The node tree looks like a spaghetti mess but it works.

tZmw3Dk.png

Basic breakdown:

To the very left is the workhorse of it all that generates the planetary noise.  It uses a few sliders to adjust the land size and the amount of 'water' goes into ocean areas, it also serves as the main mask between water and land.  Now as we stack things up in the center portion we add various parts to the planets.  More land and sea controls at the bottom.  Above that is where we can add 'rivers' or cracks in the planet that we can constrain to only land areas.  Next comes craters, icecaps, and finally the ability to add city lights to the dark side areas. Colors, roughness and bump information sits in the center section.  All that gets plugged into some basic shaders on the right and finally to the material output. shew!

This would be the Mk 1 version of the node tree that I created by following along with a tutorial.  My newer one is a vast improvement as I've fixed the craters to be more prominent if I want them to be and added more biomes to the land areas.  How they did the night light masking is a bit dated and I updated that to work for animation in case I want to have fun with my planetary creator in the future.

To do : Set this all up to bake textures out of the procedural portion.  Just need to add some image textures plugged into various points and I'll be able to pump out diffuse, glossy, height, normal, and roughness maps of every planet.  Would be fun to see some of these creations show up as planets in KSP.

edit: clouds and atmosphere are on separate layers.

I think that these planets would be good enough to make it into a mod.

11 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Did you write python scripts or any plugins for Blender for this ?

No, this is all just some fun in the node editor with a tiny bit of nudging in the compositor for some blur to the atmosphere.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's some quick drawings
In one I was experimenting with my new markers and the other one I just wanted to do something rockety  whilst in holidays (so sry for the bad paper)

Falcon 9 and Shavit (Small israelean rocket)

pjzlndg.jpg

nea7ruR.jpg

Edited by ScaryTerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.