KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

Just now, Paul Kingtiger said:

Have Take Two bought KSP (and presumably hired the existing dev team) or have they bought Squad (which I thought included a digital marketing business)?

Take-Two bought KSP and Squad remains independant but partnered with Take-Two. Squad and the whole team will continue with KSP development, but now we’ll have the full support of Take-Two to achieve this with the utmost quality.

Hmmmm, I don't really know about this new company, but if it means KSP keeps going, then cool!

I have 2 questions.

First, and most important for myself and all the other writers, will the Forum continue as is, specifically the fan-fiction area?

Second... is that the squad team in the big OP pic???  I wonder who is who.... :)

2 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

Take-Two bought KSP and Squad remains independant but partnered with Take-Two. Squad and the whole team will continue with KSP development, but now we’ll have the full support of Take-Two to achieve this with the utmost quality.

Let me see if I get this correctly (business practices are confusing to me). 

Take Two bought the intellectual property that is KSP. Squad remains it's own separate development company. But Squad is partnered with TT to continue development of KSP. That all correct? 

If so, I could see how some people are (or could be) concerned. After all, that means that TT now has the final say on anything KSP related. 

However, I'll echo my previous post and say that by looking at TT's history, I'm pretty optimistic. 

5 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

So, now money paying for KSP will go to Take-Two as well?

(Please answer, this affects whether or not I buy the DLC.)

I´m not certain of the business terms, but yes, Take Two is now involved with selling the game 

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Hmmmm, I don't really know about this new company, but if it means KSP keeps going, then cool!

I have 2 questions.

First, and most important for myself and all the other writers, will the Forum continue as is, specifically the fan-fiction area?

Second... is that the squad team in the big OP pic???  I wonder who is who.... :)

To answer your questions:

- The forum will continue to operate in its current form and there are no plans to change that in any way, we'll keep encouraging creativity among the community.

- Yes, that's Squad team (the ones based in Mexico City) plus some Take-Two representatives. 

As long as I still get muh free DLC, I don't really care.

I don't know enough about the game industry and TT to have a valuable opinion, so whatever.

Edited by Gaarst

9 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

- The forum will continue to operate in its current form and there are no plans to change that in any way, we'll keep encouraging creativity among the community.

OK, awesome!  :D

A thought occured

KSP as a long term franchise

"Kerbal" is trademarked by squad 

Presumably owned by Take Two now

Could we see the humble greenskinned badass in other offshoots as well?

Kerbal truck, train, boat sim

Many simulators stumble at realism

But making a kerbal version is rather.

Liberal and less defined

34 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

You are not the only one to wonder.

Just now, DaJay42 said:

My only concern here is that TT often shows allergic reactions to mods of their games. But I suppose we can hope that they won't mess with such an established community.

I'm not particularly concerned about this. In my mind, Mods ARE KSP. I feel like anyone with an ounce of business sense would realise that locking down mods would drive people away very quickly. I don't see how driving away the community right after you aquire the rights to the game would make any sense.

@UomoCapra: a partnership with a renowned, experienced operator in the game industry like T2 is certainly a positive step, it ensures more funding for future development and (maybe) even plans for a sequel. Don't know of many other indie developers who stayed on their own for 6+ years with a product able to sell as much as KSP, Squad showed to be really committed to the game and community doing so. But now, should we expect another change in the EULA? even worse, will the DRM policy change and make our digital lives with KSP somewhat harder? Perhaps early to say, but this is my main concern with these news.

Only example I know of is when someone made a Multiplayer Mod for GTAV, competing directly with the company. I don't blame them for the reaction they had.

We're talking about the same publisher that owns Civ V, one of the more mod friendly games I've seen.

If someone made a mission builder mod I wouldn't blame KSP if they told them to stop.

Edited by Spartwo

36 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

Does this include quality art or are we still pretending that programmer art is acceptable for the indefinite future?

Just now, DaJay42 said:

My only concern here is that TT often shows allergic reactions to mods of their games. But I suppose we can hope that they won't mess with such an established community.

KSP will remain as a modding friendly game and Take-Two will continue to support the KSP mod-community. :)