KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

5 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

Does this include quality art or are we still pretending that programmer art is acceptable for the indefinite future?

We are getting more resources, so you could expect good things :D 

Hmm...

I'm going to file this under interesting.

Also, I'm going to continue keeping an archival copy, as I have for every version prior to this. There will probably not be DRM shenanigans, but if there are, I'll keep playing the latest one without them.

11 minutes ago, DaJay42 said:

My only concern here is that TT often shows allergic reactions to mods of their games. But I suppose we can hope that they won't mess with such an established community.

I´m actually more concerned about the DRM-freeness of KSP. I always do seperate installs for mods, and i suppose i´m not the only one...

6 minutes ago, diomedea said:

@UomoCapra: a partnership with a renowned, experienced operator in the game industry like T2 is certainly a positive step, it ensures more funding for future development and (maybe) even plans for a sequel. Don't know of many other indie developers who stayed on their own for 6+ years with a product able to sell as much as KSP, Squad showed to be really committed to the game and community doing so. But now, should we expect another change in the EULA? even worse, will the DRM policy change and make our digital lives with KSP somewhat harder? Perhaps early to say, but this is my main concern with these news.

The EULA is not changing today but there will an update in the future to fit the requirements of Take-Two, the privacy policy will be revised as well, but you should not worry about changes in our DRM policy, since we have no plans to do so.  The game will continue to be available in Steam, GOG, Greenmangaming and other third party resellers, including DRM-free options.

Um, not to be rude...but you do know who Take-Two Interactive is, right? The guys who don't know how to write most of the time? The guys who are constantly shoving GTA down everyone's throats? The guys who think edgyness=good writing? I could go on and on, but the basic point is that they'll inevitably ruin KSP in some form.

I guess all good things eventually do have to come to an end.

#RIPKSP

4 minutes ago, Tykylo said:

Um, not to be rude...but you do know who Take-Two Interactive is, right? The guys who don't know how to write most of the time? The guys who are constantly shoving GTA down everyone's throats? The guys who think edgyness=good writing? I could go on and on, but the basic point is that they'll inevitably ruin KSP in some form.

#RIPKSP

Luckily for us there is no story or anything in KSP, so we are completely safe from terrible writing and edginess.

Please, do go on and on.

Because I don't really know what you're talking about. For one KSP had barely any writing so even if that were true does it matter?

GTA is shoved down everyone's throats by everyone else. It's sold 80 million copies. About 40 times as many as KSP. Being one of the 5 biggest sellers of all time. That type of game has the air around it of "you haven't played GTAV? Why not, Go buy it" and then they do and pass that on because it's a phenomenal game. I'd choose Shark Cards over Missing content any day.

EDIT: The game isn't going to go from KSP to Angry birds overnight although you probably have only been here that long.

Edited by Spartwo

Just now, Spartwo said:

Please, do go on and on. Because I don't really know what you're talking about. For one KSP had barely any writing so even if that were true does it matter? And GTA is shoved down everyone's throats by everyone else. It's sold 80 million copies. About 40 times as many as KSP. Being one of the 5 biggest sellers of all time. That type of game has the air around it of "you haven't played GTAV? Why not, Go buy it" and then they do and pass that on because it's a phenomenal game. I'd choose Shark cards over Missing content any day.

That's the point. I know TTI will ruin it from experience, they've ruined a bunch of other games in the past, and I know at some point they'll try to make KSP like GTA and then dumb it down even further than the console versions have.

On 5/31/2017 at 8:17 AM, Tykylo said:

#RIPKSP

Take two is a publisher not  Rockstar. Technically even mod friendly titles like civilization also fall under their umbrella.

To me I don't see ksp any better or worse off than they were before if they are really better off and flush with cash then I expect 1.4 to be the long needed art and balance polish pass and I expect them to stop making comprises of quality to fit in with old parts.

If that doesn't happen then nothing's changed its business as usual with me not buying dlc cause I'll be too busy managing my modded installs to make time for anything new they add like mission editor's.

Edited by passinglurker

Just now, Spartwo said:

Please, do go on and on. Because I don't really know what you're talking about. For one KSP had barely any writing so even if that were true does it matter? And GTA is shoved down everyone's throats by everyone else. It's sold 80 million copies. About 40 times as many as KSP. Being one of the 5 biggest sellers of all time. That type of game has the air around it of "you haven't played GTAV? Why not, Go buy it" and then they do and pass that on because it's a phenomenal game. I'd choose Shark Cards over Missing content any day.

Squad will remain completely separate from Rockstar Games, 2K or any other T2 studio. We’ll continue to operate autonomously and have total creative control with the full support of Take-Two.

Your point is KSP will be ruined because it will be very successful under TT? Are you some kind of Video Game Hipster? Publishers don't have as much sway over developers as you might think.

2 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

Squad will remain completely separate from Rockstar Games, 2K or any other T2 studio. We’ll continue to operate autonomously and have total creative control with the full support of Take-Two.

That's partially my point. Games aren't suddenly ruined because the Publisher changes that in the end lies with the developers, 2K and Rockstar are wildly different developers despite being under the same publisher. This is a good thing.

Edited by Spartwo

1 hour ago, EladDv said:

I've heard some stories from devs on how TT work, I wont divulge most of the details but let's just say that funding can be tight, quality is sometimes sacrificed for hitting deadlines and community support is not at the top of their priorities 

No change then?

My opinion is that TT have funding behind them, know the quality required to sell a game worldwide, and know that putting resources into a game makes you money in the long run. The most cynical I can look at this is that they will make KSP a better game so it sells more. What they will not do is put money into making it worse.

It might end up being worse but it seems more likely to end up being better.

We might even get GP2, a Dv readout, an art pass, an alarm clock etc etc

A bit of mixed feelings about this...

Here's my guesses (I may be wrong) of what may happen...

- KSP improvements will be halted. We may consider KSP "as is" now.
Not that this is a bad thing, it was bound to happen eventually.
I suppose there won't be any further "improvements" to the base game, apart from bugfixes and more language options.
Any further improvement will be in form of paid DLC (previous SQUAD commitments with old players notwithstanding)
(So, I'm guessing there won't be any rocket parts art pass)

- Further DLCs. This is pretty much how TT will regain their investment with KSP.

- More games using Kerbal IP. Since TT now owns the IP, I guess this pretty much guarantees future "Kerbal" games.
Hopefully they'll stick to the "building blocks" style.

- Future games may not have Mod support.
I don't speak from experience, but from what I understand, TT is adverse of modding, so future games may do away with Mod support.

- Future games may have DRM.

- Future games may use proprietary engines instead of Unity.

Well, that's pretty much what I can think of now...
Overall, I hope this acquisition will be good for KSP and Kerbal franchise.

Cheers!

Edited by Thiagobs

1 minute ago, Spartwo said:

Your point is KSP will be ruined because it will be very successful under TT? Are you some kind of Video Game Hipster? Publishers don't have as much sway over developers as you might think.

You honestly think that? Look at T2 and Rockstar Games, they are not separate at all. 

Same thing with EA and DICE.

Actually KSP was ruined long ago when it got ported to consoles and when Squad decided to get greedy and make paid DLC. So I've stopped having positive expectations after the DLC was announced.

What about Squad services (this forum in particular with all the content from community members) ? Will these still be Squad property or transferred under T2? In which case, rules will change to suit the new property (hint) ?

Just now, Thiagobs said:

A bit of mixed feelings about this...

Here's my guesses (I may be wrong) of what may happen...

I suppose there won't be any further "improvements" to the base game, apart from bugfixes and more language options.
Any further improvement will be in form of paid DLC (previous SQUAD commitments with old players notwithstanding)
(So, I'm guessing there won't be any rocket part art review)

- Further DLCs. This is pretty much how TT will regain their investment with KSP.

- More games using Kerbal IP. Since TT now owns the IP, I guess this pretty much garantees future "Kerbal" games.

I don't speak from experience, but from what I understand, TT is adverse of modding, so future games may do away with Mod support.

Overall, I hope this acquisition will be good for KSP and Kerbal franchise.

Cheers!

Yeah, pretty much.

Squad decided to make paid DLC in 2013...

Just now, Thiagobs said:

(So, I'm guessing there won't be any rocket part art review)

Maybe, but it looks to be headed there anyway. I'd argue a whole new game is due.

Definitely, but it's not like it wasn't planned already.

- More games using Kerbal IP. Since TT now owns the IP, I guess this pretty much garantees future "Kerbal" games.

I see this as a good thing.

If you look at civV and other games there seems to be good support for modding. The event with GTAV was that the mod directly competed with the game.

Not that I've seen but you never know.

God I hope so. Unity has a lot of limitations and doesn't look great.

Edited by Spartwo