KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

Ooooooooooooooooooooohhh come on, what should anyone expect ?

They would even say 'we are all happy about it' if everyone gets sacked, because they signed a paper on that :-)

Ever heard someone officially saying 'we are all unhappy about it' in the recent 10 Years, Worldwide, any Developing Company?

1 minute ago, Tykylo said:

That was actually free if I recall correctly, your argument is invalid.

It was free to anyone who bought before April 2013. There was a fuss because they announced they'd be making paid DLC at some point in the future(4 years apparently) so they promised free DLC to those who owned it and bought before the end of that month. 

And they've kept that promise. Something that can't be said of everyone.

Edited by Spartwo

Just now, Spartwo said:

It was free to anyone who bought before April 2013. There was a fuss because they announced they'd be making paid DLC at some point in the future(4 years apparently) so they promised free DLC to those who owned it and bought before the end of that month.

I got it for free when I bought KSP in 2015.....

Just now, Kerbart said:

Came here for "omg the world is going to end" posts.

Left not disappointed.

Well I'm glad you're happy lol

I'm afraid not. Making history is the first paid DLC.

Asteroid Day, The NASA parts, and the Football. Were developer made Mods and the first 2 have been incorporated into stock KSP.

Edited by Spartwo

I gave you guys a lot of crap for working with flying tiger.

I'm happy to hear you have bunked up with someone credible, take two does great work.

Congrats to all at squad!

Edited by r4pt0r

Just now, Urses said:

You have DLC already????

It was free DLC when I bought it. I don't have a problem when devs release content for free, it's when they price said content at 10+ USD that I get worried, to say the least.

Just now, diomedea said:

What about Squad services (this forum in particular with all the content from community members) ? Will these still be Squad property or transferred under T2? In which case, rules will change to suit the new property (hint) ?

@Badie, the moderators and myself will continue managing and supporting this forum. The EULA and the Privacy policy will be changed to fit T2's requirements, but there are no plans to change the forum rules at this moment. :wink:

1 minute ago, Tykylo said:

It was free DLC when I bought it. I don't have a problem when devs release content for free, it's when they price said content at 10+ USD that I get worried, to say the least.

OMG, divide $10 on 1000+ hours. You will still come out as a winner

12 minutes ago, John FX said:

No change then?

My opinion is that TT have funding behind them, know the quality required to sell a game worldwide, and know that putting resources into a game makes you money in the long run. The most cynical I can look at this is that they will make KSP a better game so it sells more. What they will not do is put money into making it worse.

It might end up being worse but it seems more likely to end up being better.

We might even get GP2, a Dv readout, an art pass, an alarm clock etc etc

A) lol.

B) I hope this extra funding will push KSP in a better direction, it's understandable that with slowing sales Squad saw no viability in maintaining the same level of development so they decided to slow it down and possibly go with the TT offer. 

1 hour ago, Badie said:

I´m not certain of the business terms, but yes, Take Two is now involved with selling the game 

Ok, that answers my question.

Well, its been a good run.

I'm getting that Kerbal parachute mod and before the DLC comes out and it has to go.

I hope you didnt forget to tell them you have to give the DLCs for free to a significant number of players...

Im mostly happy because KSP didnt get bought by EA or Ubisoft, TT seems quite decent.

10 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

OMG, divide $10 on 1000+ hours. You will still come out as a winner

Totally agree. I can't understand why that "free" DLC is so important to so much people.

I see a payed DLC as a nice option to support the developer, without the need for buying the game twice (ups, I already purchased it twice), get something nice from the DLC and enabling the continous development of a great game at the same time.

Take a look at DCS world.... the modules are expensive, but compare it, with what you get for that... 20+ modules all multiplayer and multicrew compatible... it's expensive, OK, when on sale, but worth the money.

I have no problem investing more money into KSP if we get stock clouds, multiplayer, and maybe even better performance... I'd love to put money into THAT.

Edited by Jebs_SY

Just now, Elthy said:

I hope you didnt forget to tell them you have to give the DLCs for free to a significant number of players...

Im mostly happy because KSP didnt get bought by EA or Ubisoft, TT seems quite decent.

We’re keeping our promise of free DLC ;D 

1 minute ago, Elthy said:

Read the release. They specifically said that the DLC deal will be honoured.

Edit: ninja'd by Badie

Edited by severedsolo

Just now, Elthy said:

I personally don't see TT as any different, but we'll see.

1 minute ago, Dooz said:

The only thing I'm concerned about Is getting my free DLC ticket fulfilled when making history comes out.

2 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

And yes, we’re keeping our promise of free DLC for everyone who purchased KSP through April 2013!

Hi guys, it's well worth reading what ake Two have said regarding this buy out,  particularly the lower end of the page,  doesn't leave me brimming with confidence.  I fully appreciate though that money talks and cannot blame anyone for accepting a good offer.

2 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi guys, it's well worth reading what ake Two have said regarding this buy out,  particularly the lower end of the page,  doesn't leave me brimming with confidence.  I fully appreciate though that money talks and cannot blame anyone for accepting a good offer.

I don't see anything particularly concerning in that press release. The bottom half of it (to me) is just saying we make no promises about how much we'll expand KSP but we've been getting the same from Squad. I'd appreciate it if you shared the parts you're worried about. 

This?

Spoiler

“We have been impressed with Kerbal Space Program since its launch, and we are committed to grow this unique experience while continuing to support its passionate community,” said Michael Worosz, SVP, Head of Corporate Development and Independent Publishing at Take-Two. “We view Kerbal Space Program as a new, long-term franchise that adds a well-respected and beloved IP to Take-Two’s portfolio as we continue to explore opportunities across the independent development landscape.”

Or this?

Spoiler

The statements contained herein which are not historical facts are considered forward-looking statements under federal securities laws and may be identified by words such as "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "potential," "predicts," "projects," "seeks," “should”, "will," or words of similar meaning and include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the outlook for the Company's future business and financial performance. Such forward-looking statements are based on the current beliefs of our management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to them, which are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict. Actual outcomes and results may vary materially from these forward-looking statements based on a variety of risks and uncertainties including: our dependence on key management and product development personnel, our dependence on our Grand Theft Auto products and our ability to develop other hit titles, our ability to successfully integrate and achieve the expected benefits of the acquired Kerbal Space Program franchise, the timely release and significant market acceptance of our games, the ability to maintain acceptable pricing levels on our games, and risks associated with international operations. Other important factors and information are contained in the Company's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K, including the risks summarized in the section entitled "Risk Factors," the Company’s most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q, and the Company's other periodic filings with the SEC, which can be accessed at www.take2games.com. All forward-looking statements are qualified by these cautionary statements and apply only as of the date they are made. The Company undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

Because Long-term franchise sounds encouraging.

Edited by Spartwo

I really don't get the negativity.

This can only be good. There is absolutely no way we can be worse off than we are now.

It's going to go one of two ways:

1) Things stay as they are now. KSP development slows/halts and focus shifts to DLC. It seems pretty clear to me that the core version of KSP, as it was already going, owned by Squad is pretty much done IMO. Big push for 1.2 to bring everything up to code (art pass aside... before anyone jumps on me for that), and then probably no more big feature updates (1.3 pretty much shows the way it's going, marketability over content, content will be in DLC only, probably). This is good for modding, as we will no longer have to hit moving targets. The best mods for games usually come out after the code is no longer likely to change.

2) With the extra money being pumped in by TT, we get new free content (whoop!) - there is a small chance of course that things will get worse, restrictive DRM etc, but if it does we all have DRM free copies of 1.3 to play with.

I personally am quite excited by this, as it may mean that development of KSP is not quite as dead as I thought it was.