KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

@Badie while you are there, ask them to bring back espn football 2K* :D 

in all seriousness, this caught me off guard. It's cool and all, but I just read last week, in the official comment from Squad about the former devs working for Valve, that Squad intended to stay an independent game company? 

For it to change that quick, must have been an offer you couldn't refuse! 

I'm happy either way! Go Squad!

*this does probably mean more updates, which means more catch up for modders in the future :(

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

in all seriousness, this caught me off guard. It's cool and all, but I just read last week, in the official comment from Squad about the former devs working for Valve, that Squad intended to stay an independent game company? 

I'm happy either way.

*this does probably mean more updates, which means more catch up for modders in the future :(

Take-Two is now owner of KSP, but Squad remains an independent studio. :wink:

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I'm happy either way.

Your message has been delivered :wink:

Congratulations, Squad.  The entire KSP product is something to be proud of.

This is the first time I've actually felt concern about my purchase date.  :wink:

2 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

Take-Two is now owner of KSP, but Squad remains an independent studio. :wink:

Ooooooh. a little trickery in the wording of that official comment then :wink: That's good news though!

10 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

Re-post:

I assume that nothing in KSP 1.3 could be used to force an upgrade? (I have it through the store, not steam.) Should I delete patcher.exe? (Because I'm staying at 1.3 now.)

I doubt that SQUAD will manage to write a working patcher anytime soon, even less one that supports forced updates. On the other hand, patcher.exe is just a very big no-op, so deleting it will have no effect besides freeing some disk space.

2 hours ago, Tykylo said:

The guys who think edgyness=good writing?

2 hours ago, KerbalSaver said:

Luckily for us there is no story or anything in KSP, so we are completely safe from terrible writing and edginess.

Oh, I can fix this... just petition @SQUAD to hire me!!!  hehehe  

I can absolutely promise the writing won't be terrible, or edgy, or crazy... or campy... or completely out-there... sure.... trust me...  :confused:

(sorry, couldn't help myself.... lmao)

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Explain to me how the current game will be "ruined." Will TT delete it from my hard disk? Will GTA content suddenly show up on Duna?

Hmm.....

Grand Theft Rocket -- A game where you go around hijacking rockets and causing mayhem...

Red Kerbal Redemption -- Set on Duna's Wild West

K-COM -- A team of capable Kerbals fight off invaders from Eve

Civilization K -- Exploration game where you colonize Kerbin...

... Ok, sorry... I'll stop now :D

14 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

Re-post:

I assume that nothing in KSP 1.3 could be used to force an upgrade? (I have it through the store, not steam.) Should I delete patcher.exe? (Because I'm staying at 1.3 now.)

Don't worry we have no plans to force any updates :wink:

Could not believe my eyes when I read the news. I have envisioned this through my own randomness but never thought it would happen. I do share some concerns that were mentioned before but I believe this will work out for the best.

Just to make sure I get this right from the info released so far:

T2 has bought full right and ownership of Kerbal Space Program while SQUAD has been left alone. Essentially, SQUAD is now a "contract studio" working as a "third-party developer" on a property T2 now owns. For the time being, T2 is simply a publisher for KSP, backing SQUAD with resources for KSP development/support until such time that they (T2) can do something original with the IP. This is NOT just a simple licensing and publishing deal where T2 gets a cut of profits in exchange for support and promotion/advertising while SQUAD still have rights to and/or ownership of KSP. KSP was actually sold-off to T2 wholesale. (Kinda like how the Fallout games were completely sold-off to Bethesda by Interplay.)

Next: any plans regarding T2 reps directly involved with KSP to join THIS forum at some point in the (near-ish?) future? The thing about indie game development is have direct access to the actual developers by the community. I think it might placate some of the community if they felt they had similar accessibility to the new party involved with KSP. If anything, it could be a gesture of goodwill and faith by T2 and acknowledging the established KSP community. (IMHO, half the enjoyment of KSP came from the community in the form of mods and Let's Play-ers.) If there's one thing a community like KSP dislikes, it's probably feeling like they/we are being ignored. (I think nearly everyone has had that feeling at one point or another with large companies in general, if not within gaming specifically.)

I have a few other things I could say, but I think it's best if I just keep my mouth shut for now. In any case, cautious optimism during this "wait and see" period. (And let's admit it: at least it's not EA or Activision. Though on a half-joking note, I kinda wanted Elon Musk to buy KSP if it was gonna happen ^_~ Guess he was too busy investing in ACTUAL rockets and didn't have any funds to spare. His loss, I suppose. But just imagine if we had rocket scientists and software engineers available to KSP.)

Congratulations Squad!  You've earned this, and it's something to be proud of.

I do not share the negativity that some are expressing here.  T2/2K has some titles I love to play, including my favorite game of all time (hint:  it's not KSP).  I suspect whatever changes come out of this will be more positive than negative.

1 minute ago, DeltaDizzy said:

How much did KSP cost for Take Two?

They're not likely to say, much like we don't know how much they've made off KSP. their numbers aren't public

I congratulate the Squad team on finding new assistance to continue their builds and hope that it will lead to better endeavours.

Congratulation's aside and personal comments put out in the open; I don't think this will end well personally. Having a quick look back at video game history, outside help or the purchase of other's IP (especially successful ones) generally ends poorly (eyeballing Donkey Kong Country).

They no doubt will provide new content and fix some outstanding issues but being a business, Kerbal Space Program is old, dry and built with very broken tools. The top of T2's to do list with KSP is to rebuild it. That sounds great but I fall back to an earlier comment on the issue;

KSP has been around forever and the concept has been well made, despite there being obvious flaws. Any "sequel" would just be a rebuild, just a big update. Kerbal Space Program is mostly just a lego building sandbox game that you can add or subtract from. There's little to expand upon unless you simply start following Squad's prior example and just start adding more mods to the game to give the illusion of content.

There needs to be changes to KSP as it stands, no doubt; but T2's likely plans are to release DLCs, small side content (more Kerbalizers), and likely in the new future, a KSP2.

I'm a huge fan of this game but if this is it's future, it's one I can't support. I'm glad others can; call me a fool for it. This is just my choice and how I see it. I've just seen too many other's follow this same path to a poor end.

Whilst I don't know much about TT (I've played countless games on various consoles over the years but never really noticed who made them etc) KSP is such a unique game that captures so many people's imagination I know that Squad are doing the right thing.

This is their baby, their pride and joy and if I gave birth to KSP I would make sure the next generation of its carers would be well vetted (not bringing the console port into it.....we all make mistakes)

To end my input....if all I play for the next 10 years is KSP 1.2.2 as I do now I'm happy.

I've played NO other games since I found it at version 0.90 3 years or so ago (late starter) but I'm still excited everytime I double click my favourite icon on my desktop.

Squad will still be the company that gave me, and you, this wonderful gaming experience....and thankyou so much for every launch, fail, head scratch and "whoop!" KSP brings us :)

34 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

Essentially, SQUAD is now a "contract studio" working as a "third-party developer" on a property T2 now owns. For the time being, T2 is simply a publisher for KSP, backing SQUAD with resources for KSP development/support until such time that they (T2) can do something original with the IP.

That's my interpretation as well. I wonder how that contract looks. Can SQUAD be replaced as KSP dev? Do they have right of first refusal for future titles in the franchise? I would have expected to see the "game studio" division of SQUAD split off and moved along with the IP.

Good luck to all involved regardless!

EDIT: To be clear, those are rhetorical questions. I do not for one second expect that any party to this agreement will share details about it beyond the statements that have already been made.

Edited by HebaruSan