KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

2 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Yet I like very few games from actual video game studios.:P

I bet you like even less games from marketing firms, unless there's one besides KSP. Although if you take it as games you like as a percentage of games made it's a spotless record.

Edited by Spartwo

1 hour ago, Lupi said:

As far as i'm concerned, the farthest kerbal's "story" goes is that you have a box of rocket parts and some planets and moons to fling them at. Maybe there's a bit more with Career mode, given the agencies and contracts, but that's still barely a story. From there, you can create your own story in your own career.

Agreed! While it's fun to talk and joke about, in my own opinion adding a story-line would probably ruin the game. Plus it would put all of us fan-fiction writers out of a job. :rolleyes:

The only why I could see it working at all.. maybe... would be to add a 4th "Play-mode", so to speak. Something like Sandbox, career, science, and story-mode.... and even then I think it would be an incredible amount of work besides just writing the story itself to actually make it happen. 

Plus, like you said, it would take the fun out of making up your own adventures.

Edited by Just Jim

6 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

Will the forums be moved to a T2 server?

no

7 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

To answer your questions:

- The forum will continue to operate in its current form and there are no plans to change that in any way, we'll keep encouraging creativity among the community.

12 minutes ago, regex said:

So Squad was bought as well? Or is it basically a "hostage situation" where you guys still continue to work on it so long as you're profitable?

So long as the IP remains profitable.

So you're not actually going to get complete control.

Yeah, you don't buy an IP just to see it squandered.

LOL, exactly what I was thinking.  No offense to him, but it sounds like UomoCapra has never worked for a corporation before.

There is merely an illusion that the dev team is under control and it will remain that way as long as it suits the corporate interest.  On the other hand, one minor mis-step and the studio is shut down.

4 minutes ago, Alshain said:

On the other hand, one minor mis-step and the studio is shut down.

I don't think it's that grave, but yeah, stay profitable my friends.

On the other hand if they stopped making enough money as it was they'd straight up go broke rather than maybe be given another chance and then shifted to other projects if it still doesn't work out.

And that's what you're contributing to if you decide to boycott KSP because they made this choice.

Edited by Spartwo

Just now, Spartwo said:

On the other hand if they stopped making enough money as it was they'd straight up go broke rather than maybe be given another chance and then shifted to other projects.

Well, yeah, exactly. Take-Two backing a dump truck full of money up to their door was in no way a bad move for Squad, especially for the owners. The question is whether or not it is a good move for the game/franchise.

Just now, Galileo said:

Can I get a tin can?

We call those "capsules."

As for the news, I'm cautiously optimistic. There's not really a whole lot to go on right now, and I like to reserve judgement until I have some hard facts.

2 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Well, yeah, exactly. Take-Two backing a dump truck full of money up to their door was in no way a bad move for Squad, especially for the owners. The question is whether or not it is a good move for the game/franchise.

That really remains to be seen. It might go one way or the other but I'm hopeful. This is a company with a fairly good history and respects the pace of developers working with them. Another question would be if the franchise part would have even happened without this or would Squad have had the same team move onto a new project after a while(maybe not too long, localisation seems like a bottom of the checklist type thing)

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

6GrrGMU.png

Can I get a tin can?

Maybe a mk1 pod with a door that opens? If we're going extra flashy. Put a plush kerbal inside. Some more little bits. 

Edited by Spartwo

Just now, Spartwo said:

Maybe a mk1 pod with a door that opens? If we're going extra flashy.

Depends on whether we're talking the pork revamp pod or the old pod

Just now, Lupi said:

Depends on whether we're talking the pork revamp pod or the old pod

Pork of course, or if they ever get back to a revamp; that one. I'm starting to forget that I'm using modded textures.

Edited by Spartwo

1 minute ago, Spartwo said:

That really remains to be seen. It might go one way or the other but I'm hopeful. This is a company with a fairly good history and respects the pace of developers working with them. Another question would be if the franchise part would have even happened without this or would Squad have had the same team move onto a new project after a while(maybe not too long, localisation seems like a bottom of the checklist type thing)

Good point. Remember, Squad is a marketing company. Maybe this is the Squad owners saying, "Look, this has been fun and all, but we're not a game company. Let's sell this off to a real game company and wash our hands of it."

1 minute ago, Spartwo said:

Maybe a mk1 pod with a door that opens? If we're going extra flashy.

Mk1 Pod on top of a decoupler that hinges upward to reveal the contents?

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

It's not that I wouldn't do it. If @SQUAD actually thought I was good enough, and wanted me, I would be on-board in a split-second... and they know it.

But they've made it clear, over and over, there isn't supposed to be any kind of official KSP backstory. So as much fun as it would be, I just don't foresee something like this happening, even if they have been bought by Take-Two. 

It always seemed slightly odd to me that a game with such an avowed lack of backstory makes recreating historical missions a centrepiece of its first expansion pack.

*shrugs* What do I know.

On 03/08/2013 at 7:37 PM, colmo said:

I really see Kerbalkind as franchise material, with spin-off games occupying different genres. Kerbal City, Kerbal Tycoon, Kerbal Hospital, The Kerbs, World of Kerbin...and then there's comics, cartoons etc.

Let's face it, Kerbals are cute and we all want a plushie.

“We view Kerbal Space Program as a new, long-term franchise that adds a well-respected and beloved IP to Take-Two’s portfolio as we continue to explore opportunities across the independent development landscape.” - Michael Worosz, SVP, Head of Corporate Development and Independent Publishing at Take-Two. http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2277633

Called it, a looooong time ago....:)

40 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

/snip

Do not summon the advocatus diaboly.

Next DLC:

"How i shot Val to Vall"...

Please no story-mode, i personaly preffer the CC compatible Agencie lines with milestones to get, like reach with a sounding rocket a stable orbit. And not something like bring Val Bob and Kerbal X landed on moon by day y....

MPO

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

48 minutes ago, Alshain said:

LOL, exactly what I was thinking.  No offense to him, but it sounds like UomoCapra has never worked for a corporation before.

There is merely an illusion that the dev team is under control and it will remain that way as long as it suits the corporate interest.  On the other hand, one minor mis-step and the studio is shut down.

Well I've said this many times before and I'll say it again: I believe the main selling point of the game is not the space thing. It's the editor, the most powerful on the market, together with the evolving physics system. Once a user is bored of space (which is not hard to imagine, space is incredibly boring, at least in this game) users either switch to another game or start to explore what else this game can do.

What else this game can do. That's the future of this product. Not flying rockets.

Edited by Azimech

Can't believe I missed this announcement! Overnight for me and its 12 pages!

What this means really is that Squad management/owners/shareholders (not the devs) don't have the drive to take KSP further.  They were offered cash for the IP, and the deal I'm sure allows them to take a cut of the increased sales (if any) now that multiple languages are supported.

The REAL money for TT will be KSP2.  With tens of millions having purchase the game, it has potential to have 'sequels' in the Civilization of GTA sense, with a variety of spin off material.  Same concept, new styling, better engines.

Whe, in a couple of years, TT released a new KSP game with no early access bonuses and none of the marketing and EULA 'mistakes' that Squad made (because they didn't do their due diligence), costing what KSP at full price does now, would I buy it?  Would people who bought previous to April 2013 have to buy the new game. Certainly.  Would this community and the awesome modders move to a new version - I would hope so - and that is the key for me.  The modders really have make the game the awesome experience that it is.  I'd only buy into a successful community.

Peace.

3 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

If someone on the KSP team ( @Badie, @UomoCapra, looking at you) could deliver this message to Take Two, that'd be great: 

Take Two, 

KSP, for me, is more than just a game. It's creativity itself. It's brought so many people so much joy. I myself, despite many, many hours in this game, still cheer whenever my periapsis rises above 70 kilometers. It's still fun when my missions fail catastrophically and explode. Not many games can give you that much entertainment. 

It's educational (it basically teaches rocket science so well that players know it intuitively) and accessible to everyone, with no inappropriate content whatsoever. 

Its community is the nicest and smartest I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with. The mods are amazing, diverse, and, in many cases, hilarious. 

I may be just a guy with a PC and a Jeb plushie, but I know this: 

KSP is awesome. KSP is educational. KSP is fun

Please don't screw it up. 

Best wishes, 

- @KAL 9000

Our friends at Take-Two have read your message and they want you to know the following:

"This is wonderful to see, and please relay that it made its way over to us, and we hear him. We're approaching this with deep respect and appreciation of the game, and agree wholeheartedly with his sentiments."

:)

2 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

Our friends at Take-Two have read your message and they want you to know the following:

"This is wonderful to see, and please relay that it made its way over to us, and we hear him. We're approaching this with deep respect and appreciation of the game, and agree wholeheartedly with his sentiments."

:)

Well that's nice to read ... maybe you can motivate a few of them to open an account on this forum?

Just a thought ;-)

Edit: they can choose to remain anonymous, naturally.

Edited by Azimech

I've read the previous 13 pages with interest. I lack the knowledge and frame of reference to grasp if this will be good or bad for the future of KSP. I am not a game player. I get bored with them in a hurry. Other than some solitaire card games, I have no other games on my computer. Like @KAL 9000 for me, KSP goes far beyond a game. There is nothing I have seen that compares by blending its believable physics with humor in a big open solar system. If the future takes this game into the shoot-em-up, sex, and violence direction (which I highly doubt) then at least I have the game as it stands at present to continue to enjoy. I hope future KSP sticks with what makes it unique, then adds more depth, beauty, and exploration (maybe even some science for the sake of learning). I don't enjoy solving a puzzle just to get to the next level. I do love problem solving too learn and apply to future endeavors. I remember when I first started playing that everything seemed impossible until I did it. Then I took what I learned and used it on the next launch attempt. A few years down the road and I'm still learning. 

I hope for much success for the dev team and the companies involved. I also hope Kerbal Space Program never loses what makes it more than a game.