KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

Corporations always say they will leave the company under local control.  I once worked for a company who's entire mantra was exactly that (Dover Corporation).  They claimed to purchase successful companies and put them under their umbrella but leave them under the local control of the company.  They one day they decided they wanted to step in and reorganize an industry leader company, screwed it up, and now it has been shut down entirely and replaced by it's next biggest competitor (who they also bought) and that company is faltering as well because if their meddling.

Pardon me if I don't trust corporate lies, but I've been around that block a few times.  Make no mistake, Squad is not in control of their development any longer.

Been around since Pong. Ive seen many changes and lots of things come and go. I wish I could share the enthusiasm some of you have. This could go either way. No doubt about one thing though, things are going to change. No one buys a company to just sit back and watch, they make changes. Honestly, no one knows how this will end and thats as truthful as anyone can be. I hope and wish for the best though.

Speaking as someone who has literally been here almost from the start, I'm pretty dang happy with this. It can't really go badly wrong - KSP could only continue being developed for so long before it stopped being profitable, maybe much more will get done in that timespan now. Maybe that timespan will be larger, who knows. I love squad and all, but the problems that have spanned multiple versions, defying so many attempts at fixing... maybe some of them can get resolved now, depending on what kind of resources KSP will have access to. Either way, I've gotten 6 years out of a game I got with a $7 donation, which is fine by me. I still have most of my previous installs, taking up quite a number of gigabytes - even if this goes horribly wrong, I can fall back on those for at least another thousand or two hours.

-Edit- As the dude below said, KSP 2 could be a thing. A thing from a big company. I'd be a jibbering mess merely at its announcement.

--Edit- Just got to thinking, will the free dlc/expansions still be honored?

Edited by TheUnamusedFox

I won't be surprised if KSP continues to get developed/ maintained by Squad, all the while another developer in the Take-Two umbrella is given KSP 2 to work on. As has been said many times in this thread, you don't buy a whole IP to not use it and I don't see DLC or console ports alone recouping that cost. 

Not saying this is good or bad, just my guess at will happen. 

3 minutes ago, Orionkermin said:

I won't be surprised if KSP continues to get developed/ maintained by Squad, all the while another developer in the Take-Two umbrella is given KSP 2 to work on.

I, for one, would love to see another developer's take on KSP. KSP is a fantastic idea with a somewhat sub-par implementation. I doubt any developer with the chops and seriousness to actually plan out their game would fail at a second KSP if they retained the core sandbox gameplay.

Incidentally, I'd like to point out that I - and likely many of us - found out about this not only on these forums but in this very thread. In the past I - and many of us - have given some grief that major announcements only found their way here through some sort of trickle-down mechanism.

Thank you for putting this up here so quickly! :)

I congratulate the KSP team for making this purchase happen.  Having TakeTwo onboard will provide necessary resources to make KSP better.

Saying that I have two mayor concerns with "growing" this already great game.  Growth requires to have a purpose otherwise growth for the sake of growing is the motto of a cancer cell.

Concern 1 - DRM.  Currently with the exception of the Steam and Console versions it is not existent.  No DRM has more positives than negatives and having TakeTwo onboard may change that indie game option.

Concern 2 - Mods and Modders.  I enjoy Vanilla KSP but KSP+MODS takes the game to a different level that only modders can provide.  Take Two should embrace mods and modders as KSP team has done.  No exceptions.  Instead TakeTwo should provide tools and guidelines to modders to take the game to a different level.  DLC and mods can co-exist, it has been seen with KSP and many other game (i.e. ARMA, IL2, etc.)

I see the glass half full and just wish much success to all involved with such a great game: Kerbal Space Program.

Interesting development. I'll reserve judgement until I see what their plans for KSP development are.

26 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

Concern 1 - DRM.  Currently with the exception of the Steam and Console versions it is not existent.

I use KSP on steam and haven't encountered DRM?

I, too have mixed feelings. After reading some of the initial reactions of the first two pages, I am still fairly worried, but certainly less worried. I understand that SQUAD will remain independent of TTI, but still. Supposedly, they have been known to push updates, sacrificing quality. Was it Rockstar or TTI that shot down GTA mods (I don't really play GTA or follow the community.) Hopefully, future releases won't be as buggy as 1.3 was.

1 minute ago, EvilEmotaku said:

I, too have mixed feelings. After reading some of the initial reactions of the first two pages, I am still fairly worried, but certainly less worried. I understand that SQUAD will remain independent of TTI, but still. Supposedly, they have been known to push updates, sacrificing quality. Was it Rockstar or TTI that shot down GTA mods (I don't really play GTA or follow the community.) Hopefully, future releases won't be as buggy as 1.3 was.

fyi KSP PR reps have stated that mods will be continued to be completely allowed

Just now, TheRagingIrishman said:

fyi KSP PR reps have stated that mods will be continued to be completely allowed

I know, I just have... er... little faith in humanity, and I'm not sure how much to trust that statement. I'll be completely honest: some of the comments SQUAD staff ave made seem a little forced.

12 minutes ago, EvilEmotaku said:

Was it Rockstar or TTI that shot down GTA mods (I don't really play GTA or follow the community.)

I don't know for sure, but I do remember playing some great modded GTA:SA in the day. Those multiplayer races were some of the buggiest - and therefore most fun - races I've ever had the joy to participate in. I do recall reading that Rockstar wasn't supporting mods, but I don't think they did anything to dissuade people.

However I played GTA4 on console and GTA5 not at all (Maybe someday) so don't know how moddable they are on PC. I remember seeing YouTubers doing races on custom maps in GTA5 but don't know if that's as far as modding goes there.

1 minute ago, StupidAndy said:

I've been wondering how much they bought KSP for...

or are they probably not going to release that info?

Terms of the deal are confidential.

1 hour ago, EvilEmotaku said:

Was it Rockstar or TTI that shot down GTA mods (I don't really play GTA or follow the community.) Hopefully, future releases won't be as buggy as 1.3 was.

Probably Rockstar. TTI also owns the people who produce XCOM, and those people LOVE mods, they even i think helped with production of the Long War mod if i remember that story right.

I wish SQUAD the very best in their future endeavours and hope that this will bring about improvements in KSP that is mutually beneficial to all us players, TT, and SQUAD as well.

Be careful what you wish for. You may just get it....and more

4 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

I've been wondering how much they bought KSP for...

or are they probably not going to release that info?

Could be for understanding of Localisation for all we know.

How would microtransactions work in KSP?

Perhaps rather than periodic DLC you would have a growing inventory of parts you could purchase individually? If you are into SSTOs you could buy just the parts you want for a space plane. If you are building bases you could buy professionally designed land base parts that actually do reliably dock correctly. 

I am not sure if that is even where Take-Two is planing to take KSP, but I would be tempted to buy parts if the price really is right as Strauss Zelnick suggest.