KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

10 minutes ago, kookoo_gr said:

So, what does that mean for DLC's for those that don't have the game at Steam? (myself included, i saw that i can download the game from my account store page)

Squad PR have confirmed that you will still be able to download from the store, they just aren't allowing new purchases.

Hi folks,

Just a note that a bunch of posts got moved out of this thread into another one.  Here's the deal:

A big topic about T2 that has the Internet abuzz lately has to do with reports of their "pulling the plug" on modding for another property of theirs, GTA.

Lots of KSP players are understandably concerned about this, given how important modding is to the KSP community.  (I sure as heck care about this myself, being both an avid modder and a consumer of other folks' mods.)

There's a whole thread about it over here (in the Lounge, since it's a discussion about T2 and GTA and what-does-this-mean, rather than specifically about KSP):

It's a lively thread with lots of discussion.  If you'd like to talk about that specific issue (i.e. whether T2 has really pulled the plug on modding GTA, fears that they will pull the plug on KSP modding, etc.), please take it to that thread.

Why I'm mentioning all this:  the topic was being discussed here, too.  Nothing wrong with a little discussion about that... but it was getting to the point that it was completely derailing / dominating this thread, and we'd kind of like to keep this thread as a general "T2 and KSP" topic, and that one particular issue was taking over so thoroughly that it seems to merit a separate space of its own.

I can also assure you that the folks at Squad are aware of these concerns.  Since I don't work for Squad myself, I'm not privy to internal discussions there, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're talking to T2 about this.  Assuming that to be the case... speaking purely as a KSP player and not as any kind of "insider", I think it would be useful to have the "T2, please don't kill KSP modding" discussion all in one thread, because that would give a nice place to point any T2 people who might be reading this.

Okay, re-opening thread now.  Thank you for your understanding.

My greatest fear with this is not the death of the modding scene, but rather of KSP having references to other TT games and vice versa. KSP already has a solid charm to it, it doesn't need to lose it. I don't want BioShock or GTA references in KSP.

35 minutes ago, Karma Kerman said:

Hey space engineers has moding and their not banned and KSP its a single player game so TT should NOT ban them

Space engineers isn't published by TT. Apples and oranges my friend. 

18 hours ago, hieywiey said:

My greatest fear with this is not the death of the modding scene, but rather of KSP having references to other TT games and vice versa. KSP already has a solid charm to it, it doesn't need to lose it. I don't want BioShock or GTA references in KSP.

I'll second that. Though he may lack the pedigree, Jebediah Kerman can stand next to the likes of Mario and Link and hold his head high. We don't need any cross-promotional garbage.

19 hours ago, hieywiey said:

In all honesty if it means more easter eggs, I'm all for it. Likes wise I'd love Kerbal easter eggs in GTA or BioShock :P

So you sold out to take two who are responsible for Bioshock 2 and GTA V; self preclaiming to not be milking the market enough (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.955846-Take-Two-CEO-Says-the-Company-is-Under-Monetizing-its-Users).

So what does this bode for the supporters who enabled your endeavor to come this far, the loyal backers, free marketing from lets players and even NASA?
Are we to look forward to pressure from your now publisher to have 'us' milked for any future micro content? Draconian DRM or a steam way or the high way approach?

I for one have lost respect for the Kerbal team and by respect I mean interest in any further purchases related to the Kerbal brand.
Oh and apparently there is another topic dealing with take two that's forced closure of the only actual searchable topic discussing take two. Closing the forum when a user cannot simply find the relevant forum by search "take two" / "take-two" is tantamount to censorship of the issue; also not engendering respect for your brand.

Did you know the world ended in December 2012?

Seriously now, there is already a thread discussing the issue; and long story short, Take-Two would most likely not have any interest in implementing microtransactions in KSP or forbid modding, and effectively enforcing either of these would require a complete rewrite of the game.

Edited by Gaarst

From what I understand Take Two is regarded for very poor and juvenile business ethics. Especially with what they did to GTA modding. Kind of sickening.

Hopefully this means better things for KSP than it has for other games. 

To eliminate a bit of confusion: recent posts by @klgraham1013 and @TheRagingIrishman were in response to somebody creating another "Take Two DOOOOOOOM" thread, that got merged into this one.

I would like to reiterate: Take Two is DOOOOM. They are staffed solely by creatures who desire the end of all fun, and will step upon all Squad has created simply to reap their tears, making all KSP content heavily DRMed microtransactions, retroactively forcing updated EULAs on KSP players and shutting down any mod that might make the game fun. Uninstall KSP now, that this future may not come to pass for you.

Alternately, Take Two's actions are being taken badly out of context by people who immediately leap to the worst possible interpretation of corporate actions, and don't for a moment stop to consider things like "hey, maybe Take Two had every right, legal and ethical to take down a mod that enabled cracking into protected content".

T2 have also published XCOM and XCOM2 

For first one, modding was more like hacking (hex modding anyone) and still it is considered as legit. 

And 100% mod support for XCOM2. 

Soo, blame studio, not the publisher