KSP Acquired by Take-Two Interactive

UomoCapra

Having very mixed feelings about this, since most of times selling game to other company does not prove as very good idea. In my opinion KSP (Squad Team) is or rather was doing fine on its own.  Guess time will show...

About modding, well KSP is build as SP game in mind and is build like that from gound up and it was build with mod support. Also these days, mods are what keeps games running in long term and keep ppl buying them even if they are 3-5y after release. So if anyone take mods away from KSP then it is like take 40% or more of game away. That you can translate to more then half playerbase who will quit. Problem is, nobody will care since KSP is just P2P and after initial purchase there is no more transactions/payments so dev or publisher does not care if you play it 24/7 or you stop play it after a day. They got money. And we hope they won't introduce ANY form of microtransactions. THAT. WILL. BE. STUPID. MOVE.

But what will be point of shut down mods in singlepalyer game anyway? In SANDBOX sp game (yeah okay, we have career mode also). There is no rules, no objectives, no quests and HOW you will play it and WHAT you wanna achive is completly on YOU. You can do it in 100% stock game. You can use modes to have more fun or cheat your way to victory with infinite tanks and 0 fuel consumption engines. Decision is up to you and there is no harm done to anyone. 

But I guess we are getting ahead too quickly. Give it time. Little bit atleast to see in which direction it ll develop. And I hope that ONLY change will be one more annoying logo to look at during loading of game.

21 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

The last time we had this much outrage on the forum was when Squad named Curse as the official mod partner. Needless to say, the game survived that. :D

The last time I experienced such outrage on this forum was when the 1.1 prerelease could only be played by Steam users. :P 

3 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

The last time we had this much outrage on the forum was when Squad named Curse as the official mod partner. Needless to say, the game survived that. :D

Oh, right.  Curse is still a thing that exists.  Always forget about that.

7 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

The start of @SQUAD selling out. Then came the low pay to their employees, then Kerbalstuff shutdown, then consoles, and now T2. Kind of makes you wonder if all those devs leaving saw the writing on the wall.

14 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

actually KerbalStuff wasn't shut down because of SQUAD, the developer decided to shut it down after he got tired of running it

Yeah, I remember that. Basically one guy was doing all the work, then one day he said "FART IT" and that was that.

36 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

actually KerbalStuff wasn't shut down because of SQUAD, the developer decided to shut it down after he got tired of running it

21 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Yeah, I remember that. Basically one guy was doing all the work, then one day he said "FART IT" and that was that.

I seem to recall @SirCmpwn  saying that he was given a letter by squad. Here's from his post:

I was *told* to change the name - it wasn't an open dialogue. There were several weeks of arguing back and forth about this, followed by a long period of silence that was never properly resolved. I never heard the words "you can use Kerbal in the name" from Squad, even after bringing the matter back up several times. The discussion was hostile.

15 hours ago, evileye.x said:

T2 have also published XCOM and XCOM2 

For first one, modding was more like hacking (hex modding anyone) and still it is considered as legit. 

And 100% mod support for XCOM2. 

Soo, blame studio, not the publisher

Personally, I'd blame the combination of EULA and business model. With GTA V, TT/Rockstar were aiming for an online game that encouraged microtransactions, and OpenIV had the misfortune of being between TT and money.

That probably wasn't the case with XCOM, and probably will not be the case with KSP.

Alternately, what we could do is get Take Two executives hooked alternately on Realism Overhaul, Roverdude's mods, KSP Interstellar, etc...

On 5/31/2017 at 8:21 AM, TheEpicSquared said:

To the guy who's holding the beer bottle - I like you. :P 

Oh, he just has the beer cause he just learned Take-Two bought KSP.
I'd drink too... :/

2 hours ago, AverageJoeGuy said:

The start of @SQUAD selling out. Then came the low pay to their employees, then Kerbalstuff shutdown, then consoles, and now T2. Kind of makes you wonder if all those devs leaving saw the writing on the wall.

Yeah... KSP has felt like it's been in bad hands for well over a year now. I just feel like it's at the mercy of whatever blow will strike it next...
I LOVE KSP, and love the original creators, but I have NO confidence in regards to it's long term future.
A year ago, I looked forward to someday seeing what a version 2.0 might possibly bring to the table... Today, I fear 2.0. ;.;

Edited by richfiles

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Oh I dunno. The time Squad thought about getting rid of the Round8 got pretty heated. Then there was the spat about the Building We Do Not Mention, the scuffle about different versions of the Mk1 cockpit, the fracas over clamshell vs confetti fairings and how lives would be ruined over Squad's abject failure to get this vitally important detail right...

Oddly enough, we seem to have survived all those impending apocalypses too.

1 hour ago, Starman4308 said:

Personally, I'd blame the combination of EULA and business model. With GTA V, TT/Rockstar were aiming for an online game that encouraged microtransactions, and OpenIV had the misfortune of being between TT and money.

That probably wasn't the case with XCOM, and probably will not be the case with KSP.

Alternately, what we could do is get Take Two executives hooked alternately on Realism Overhaul, Roverdude's mods, KSP Interstellar, etc...

I doubt you could get Take Two interested in anything about KSP besides money. They don't sound like a company interested in science or technology. They do show a lot of interest in multiplayer though...

Kerbal Space Program Online... Probably with microtransactions. 

Some say Squad is selling out. But at least that means somebody might be interested in continuing development if it means for more sales. You have your choice of poison I guess. 

The original Squad team was a great group of guys. But KSP seems like one of those games that happens to be a victim of it's own success. From what I understand development started falling apart the more pressure the community placed on them. Hard deadlines and quotas never lead to good things with small indie studios. 

Edited by Jon144

11 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

3 hours ago, AverageJoeGuy said:

The start of @SQUAD selling out.

No, that started when those money grubbing programmers started ... get this ... SELLING THEIR GAME FOR MONEY. And don't forget the whole part about how they're not even a software company. Because for some nebulous reason that makes them just all the more smarmy.

14 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

No, that started when those money grubbing programmers started ... get this ... SELLING THEIR GAME FOR MONEY. And don't forget the whole part about how they're not even a software company. Because for some nebulous reason that makes them just all the more smarmy.

Yeah, some people see it as if it's a bad thing. Until a new economic system arrives, we can't really blame people for trying to make to best of things.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I seem to recall him shutting down the site in a way intended to maximize the harm to the community. I don't find him a credible witness.

That's a rather uncharacteristically harsh judgement from you, RIC, and I don't even see where it's coming from. I too wish it had been handled a bit better (mostly wish he had been a bit more vocal about the situation leading up to it), but in a burn-out situation I think he handled it about as gracefully as could have been expected. If he had truly intended any real harm, let alone 'maximized', he could've just pulled the plug, scrubbed the disks, and told us all to take a hike and go fish for mods in our own personal archives. He did not.

Instead he still took the effort to archive the entire site with source, full tree structure, and the entire history of uploaded mod files, made it publicly available for download, *and* assisted in the background to get a replacement site up and running. The interruption was less than two days.

This phrase is still atop the SpaceDock forum thread to document that:

On 10/26/2014 at 8:25 PM, VITAS said:

Using Kerbalstuffs original code and getting massive help from the community and @SirCmpwn (Kerbalstuff owner) we managed to have a replacement up within 48h.

Does that sound even remotely like someone intent on 'maximizing harm'? Seriously?

15 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

That's a rather uncharacteristically harsh judgement from you, RIC, and I don't even see where it's coming from.

I call them as I see them. He did not give warning to modders that the site was going down, modders that he had lobbied heavily to solo host with Kerbalstuff. He refused to allow reuse of the kerbalstuff.com domain by people willing to take over the site, which prevented the continued functionality of existing links. This would seem to be a strategy aimed at being as disruptive to modders as possible.

15 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Does that sound even remotely like someone intent on 'maximizing harm'?

It does, to me at least.

Whatever one's opinion about it, it's water under the bridge at this point.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You left out evil.

Ironically, if you ARE a software company, your goal in regards to the game is not to make money from it, but to RUIN it.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

You left out evil.

Ironically, if you ARE a software company, your goal in regards to the game is not to make money from it, but to RUIN it.

Amusing aside,  I actually changed "evil" to "smarmy" right before posting. 

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually, that is when they started selling, which is just the standard business model. Selling out is when you get the rights to the item you are selling, and the business you built to sell it, and then `sell out` to another company. After this the second company is in charge. EDIT : (Normally this is most apt when an ethical company, innocent smoothies for example, sells their business to one not seen as ethical, for example coca-cola.)

That is selling out, otherwise you are just selling your own product. Selling out is still a business model but one that can mean disruption from normal business and change for users of the service, which is why there is concern at Squad `selling out` as opposed to just selling.

Edited by John FX

Some new thoughts.

I could not care less about small parts and art packs, as long as the game still works and mostly (e.g. new engines) plays the same without them, nobody is forced to buy anything. Also fancy hats and shoes in MMOs purchasable from ingame real money stores are no trouble for me. Microtransactions are - if they are micro - a non-issue.

An issue for me would be, if at some point all or even just certain kinds of mods or specific single mods were "banned" for conflicting/competing with official DLC content.

What TakeTwo should not expect though, is people buying their big or small DLCs just because everyone loves the game. Now and again players told on the forums they bought extra copies or would insta-buy any DLC - for the lone reason of gratitude and wish to give back to: The Creators of the game. Now with Harvester and a big number of "day one" developers gone, big portions of DLC-money going to a "third party" might feel less inviting to open ones purse.

I'll just be honest with my feelings about this. I have a bad feelings, mainly about mods and TT potentially monetizing KSP. I love the game the way it is now, and I'm using a lot of mods (they expand the enjoyment of the game beyond the stock playing), so when I heard that KSP being acquired by TT, which has a problem in the past regarding mods, it surprised me (no, seriously. I just heard about this yesterday). Will this game still mod friendly after this? Like all this time? And about monetizing KSP, I do realize that TT is a company, and company want a profit, so it's logical to assume that they want a return investment from KSP. The question is, how? If they kill big name mods, or start to monetizing with paid DLC (which I assume ranges from new planets, star system or new parts that you can probably obtain for free from mod, over powered parts or something ridiculous like "your ship runs out of fuel on eelo orbit? Wanna pay 0.99$ for refilling your Lf/Ox?") and lock out certain parts, then I'm certainly goes mad. Yeah, I know, I look paranoid about this thing but I care a lot about this game, since this is what makes me interested in spaceflight since 3 years ago (and improve my physics knowledge, both in school and in rocketry) as well as this great and lovely community that always have a new and interesting things to discuss. I'm making a backup game folder now, just in case things go wrong. Just like an actual space program, "always assume for the worst, so when it actually goes smootly right, you can be pleasantly relieved"